Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We let teachers bring their partisan opinions into the classroom and that seems to be ok.
We're going to let kids get the morning after pill in school without parental permission or notification and that seems to be ok as well.
Kids can get condoms in school without parental notification as well and that seems ok.

But a bible....OMG the sky is falling and the children will turn into extremists.

So politics and sex in school is ok but religion is not.
What your are advocating is for your religion...not all religions. If there were a religious studies classes starting from the 4th grade to 12th...Christians would flip out.

There was a case recently[I'll find the link] where "parents" didnt want yoga to be thought in school PE because yoga fosters an Eastren philosophy...meaning a different way of thinking.

http://www.examiner.com/article/some...-to-teach-yoga

Old 04-14-2013, 02:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Are you allergic to historial facts?
No. I'm just not brainwashed. There's a discrepancy between the teachings of the Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ and the biblical church that has brainwashed you. I choose to believe in the real teachings. Not the falsehood you have been taught to believe.

That being said, many founding fathers were not Christian. They made it a purpose to leave the religion out of the constitution.

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
A book is a book. I remember when I was a kid someone would come into the school and hand out bibles. Usually little New Testaments were distributed. So what...the kid can take it home and put in on the shelf...or look through it. Few people from what I remember became hard core Christians through the possession of a book. In fact out of 100 bibles given away I would say perhaps 2 were read. Bibles are not a dangerous item as some aggressive atheists might believe. Indoctrination usually comes from a teacher and not a book.

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
So politics and sex in school is ok but religion is not.
Correct. Politics and sex are real things.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
You guys are all upset about "a book"
This would get me upset..I don't want my kid taken by the school to pray to Allah.

School Apologizes After Students Pray to Allah on Field Trip to Mosque | Fox News
A Massachusetts school district has apologized to parents after a group of schoolchildren participated in midday Muslim prayers during a field trip to a Boston-area mosque.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Exactly! I don't see how passing out the bible or any other book is violating anybodies rights. You don't want one don't except it.
Except or accept?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The point is that when you open the door for one, you open the door for all. I don't think any kind of religious pamphlets or literature (or atheist, as you pointed out) is appropriate in a public school, and I don't want any of it handed out to my kids--MY JOB as a PARENT is to provide for their religious education--the government needs to stay the H out of it. Religion is one of the most personal decisions you can make. Luckily for me, the constitution and the SCOTUS view it the same way.
yeah I know that.

I already said..ban any and all types of religion from public school.

Any and all and that means by the school as well as third parties.
Should be easy enough for Congress to do don't you think ?

Old 04-14-2013, 02:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You guys are all upset about "a book"
This would get me upset..I don't want my kid taken by the school to pray to Allah.

School Apologizes After Students Pray to Allah on Field Trip to Mosque | Fox News
A Massachusetts school district has apologized to parents after a group of schoolchildren participated in midday Muslim prayers during a field trip to a Boston-area mosque.
That would make me upset as well. School having children participate in prayer is absurd.

1,963 posts, read 1,823,701 times
ONCE AGAIN:

Keeping your outdated mythology out of public places, like the Constitution demands, is not an attack on your religion.

You wanna indoctrinate your kids, do it on your own time and money, not the taxpayers'.

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No. I'm just not brainwashed. There's a discrepancy between the teachings of the Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ and the biblical church that has brainwashed you. I choose to believe in the real teachings. Not the falsehood you have been taught to believe.
Please explain what I have been taught to believe.

Quote:
That being said, many founding fathers were not Christian. They made it a purpose to leave the religion out of the constitution
Religious Affiliation of U.S. Founding Fathers

Episcopalian/Anglican 54.7%
Presbyterian 18.6%
Congregationalist 16.8%
Quaker 4.3%
Dutch Reformed/German Reformed 3.7%
Lutheran 3.1%
Catholic 1.9%
Huguenot 1.9%
Unitarian 1.9%
Methodist 1.2%
Calvinist 0.6%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies