Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and why do you think he changed his mind? When I see all the libs on here who say why should he send someone, she has been out of office for X decades, have you checked to see how many dignitaries from other countries attended Ronald Reagan's funeral?
partial list;

Here is a list of the foreign dignitaries expected to attend former President Ronald Reagan's funeral on Friday:

Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher

Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev

German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder

British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Britain's Prince Charles

Irish President Mary McAleese

South African President Thabo Mbeki

Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo

Romanian President Ion Iliescu

Acting Lithuanian President Arturas Paulauskas

Former Finnish President Mauno Koivisto

Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano

Canadian Governor General Adrienne Clarkson

Former Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney

Australian Governor General Maj. Gen. Michael Jeffrey

Former Polish President Lech Walesa

Former Japanese Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone

Slovakian President Rudolf Schuster

Grenadan Governor General Sir Daniel Williams

Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai

Former Danish Prime Minister Poul Schlueter

Swedish Deputy Prime Minister Lars Engqvist

Indian External Affairs Minister K. Natwar Singh

Read more: Fast Facts: Dignitaries Expected at Reagan Funeral | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And the Brits are ticked off - Margaret Thatcher funeral: President Obama won't send envoy - and leaves it to her old allies from Reagan era | Mail Online

Why not? This will be a busy week for the president pushing gun control issues. Really, they couldn't even spare that moron Biden? This is a truely classless move by a classless president.
Obama is not a funeral attending person, unless he can find some political gain out of attending. He did not even attend his own grandmother's funeral, you think he gives a crap about some former prime minister?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
lol.

mail online is called the daily fail by many Brits I know.

And Thatcher was scarcely a beloved personality, many considered her a puppet for the 2% ruling class.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Quote:
That is not the point, the point is it is extremely unusual for the Whitehouse not to send someone to represent the country is similar situations. Where are you getting the idea this is protocol, it is up to the administration to decide. There is still the matter of respect and class. How hard would it have been for Pres. Obama to send someone to her funeral?
You seem uninformed, or have chosen to ignore the fact, that the United States is sending and official delegation to Mrs. Thatcher's funeral/memorial. And, yes, there is an official protocol which has been developed over decades as regards what type of persons go to what funerals. If the President had had a relationship with Mrs. Thatcher he probably would have decided to attend the funeral. But he didn't. You want the President to go but yet her own family wasn't with her during her long illness or when she died. She died in the presence of a caregiver and her physician ... if the reports I've read about the death are accurate. Since the United States is sending a delegation I'm left with the impression all of this whining has, as its basis, something else. This President has been twice selected/elected by voters and those who don't like that should just learn to accept that he has the confidence of the nation.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Part of obama's war on women.

His rapper buds would frown on O showing respect to a female.

You'd think the novelty election winner would appreciate the significance of the first woman prime minister.

When it is Obama's turn, no one will attend because he was so divisive.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
Quote:
I would have to agree. I really do not understand how he could not find proper to send a Whitehouse representative?. I respect the office he holds but I often have trouble respecting him and his decisions.
Obama would've probably attended himself if there was some party to attend afterwards and a round or two of golf sadly imo.

I agree with the respect part you mentioned as well.

The media loves to sugarcoat things, Obama should've attended this himself imo which would've fallen more under "official business" in my view verses the party he threw with the taxpayers money (budgeted or not and was in very bad taste) recently while the sequester by many others had to be followed.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:11 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
I think it's great he's sending all those old right wing cretins.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Part of obama's war on women.

His rapper buds would frown on O showing respect to a female.

You'd think the novelty election winner would appreciate the significance of the first woman prime minister.

When it is Obama's turn, no one will attend because he was so divisive.
In fact I wouldn't be surprised they throw a party because.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I think it's great he's sending all those old right wing cretins.
I don't look at this as about one political party or another, I see it as someone that was supposed to do the correct thing here and attend himself imo.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:21 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And the Brits are ticked off - Margaret Thatcher funeral: President Obama won't send envoy - and leaves it to her old allies from Reagan era | Mail Online

Why not? This will be a busy week for the president pushing gun control issues. Really, they couldn't even spare that moron Biden? This is a truely classless move by a classless president.
It's no surprise since Obama is an anti-colonialist, as outlined in "Dreams of My Father"

-Feb 2009: Obama takes bust of Churchill out of the Oval Office
-March 2009: Obama “too tired,” to properly host Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Obama Administration failed to host the Prime Minister at a formal dinner, nor did he receive the usual joint press conference that the British government has come to expect during visits to the United States.
-March 2009: Obama gives Prime Minister Gordon Brown a box of DVD’s as a gift (cheap snub). What’s worse, the set of DVD’s was coded for the United States and unreadable by UK DVD players (double snub)
-September 2009: Obama refuses private meeting with Prime Minister Gordon Brown during UN Summit
-April 2009: First Lady Michelle Obama breaks protocol by touching the Queen’s back
-January 2011: Obama calls France America’s ‘strongest ally’
-May 2011: After toasting the Queen, Obama continues speaking as the band starts playing ‘God Save the Queen.’ (this was a complete break from Royal protocol during a Queens toast which he (Obama) called for)
-May 2011: Barack Obama snubs British scientists by refusing to receive Royal Society medal
-December 2011: President Obama refers to the British Embassy as the “English Embassy”
-June 2012: President Obama refers to the Falkland Islands as ‘the Maldives’

The list is endless, and there has never been a President, save Andrew Jackson and James Madison, so openly hostile towards Great Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies