Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to give up some constitutional rights to feel safe?
I would rather not have any security checks at airports and take my chances on the flight. 64 68.09%
I would be willing to submit to a search without probable cause so that my fight will be safer. 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times

Advertisements

It makes more sense ( to those not cowed by fear) to have no (or just basic) searches be the default with individual airlines offering, at their disgression, " secured" flights at an extra cost.
The airlines could then make the decision which or how many flights they offered based on good old supply & demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 AM

1,160 posts, read 714,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I never said, nor do I believe that rights are conditional.
Yes, yes you do and did. I give up. You clearly think Americans no longer have this "right" to not be searched upon reentry to the country. That is a condition.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:06 AM

977 posts, read 764,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
No problem. I used that example for the poll because for years, airport body & bag searches as a constitutional right have been willingly given up for safety.

Yet, I am amazed that an argument against universal background checks for a gun purchase is voted against because it would be an infringement of our constitutional rights and a "slippery slope" thereon.
I do not care about background checks for firearms. It's fine with me.
You have no 'right' to fly either. Or drive for that matter.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Exactly like that! We have sacrificed a bit of our constitutional rights for the safety of ourselves and others.
Stop diverting. Your home is quite different than an airplane.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
The 4th.
Wrong. You have an option to fly. Not a right.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Yes, yes you do and did. I give up. You clearly think Americans no longer have this "right" to not be searched upon reentry to the country. That is a condition.
No, the condition is that I do not believe everyone everyone has the right to come to America. Only Americans and those with valid visas have the right to be here. You have the absolute right to not be searched without cause, but you also have the absolute right to know everyone is here legally.

Get rid of the welfare state and I would not care about borders security. Get rid of birthright citizenship and I would not be as concerned about border security. Impose very stiff penalties for employers that hire illegals and I would not be concerned about border security. Impose stiff penalties for criminal gang members and I would not be concerned about border security.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:28 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,004,097 times
Am I willing to sacrifice freedom for safety? I'm not willing today, I was never willing in the past, and I will never be willing in the future. Committing crimes against the people in the name of preventing crime at best only substitutes one gang of criminals for another, and at worst adds a far more dangerous gang of criminals to the pre-existing set.

A particularly stark example of this is found in the form of the TSA - the TSA replaces the 0.000005% chance of being killed by a terrorist with a 100% chance of sexual assault. Even more tragic is the well-documented fact that the TSA doesn't even prevent terrorism, so the 100% chance of being molested is added on top of the 0.000005% chance of being killed by a terrorist.

So here's an idea - if you still want to be groped at the airport, book your flight with an airline that searches, prods, frowns, and gropes its passengers, secure in the knowledge that you have a 100% chance of being violated, be it from an agent or a terrorist. Meanwhile, those of us who don't want to be groped can board our flights secure in the knowledge that we have a 99.999995% chance of not being violated by anyone, be it an agent or a terrorist. A case can easily be made that the abuses of the government in the name of homeland security are another variety of terrorism.

As for the border searches, I believe those should be abolished as well, but I would also submit that there is a significant difference between conducting searches at an international border and conducting far more intrusive searches in places like Kansas City which aren't even anywhere near a border, let alone on one. Conducting searches without cause at the border was a mistake to begin with, but letting those searches creep throughout the entire country is a far bigger mistake.

I agree with the post below. Even if flying sans TSA is so risky (which it isn't), why not let people take that risk if they choose to? It's their neck, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It makes more sense ( to those not cowed by fear) to have no (or just basic) searches be the default with individual airlines offering, at their disgression, " secured" flights at an extra cost.
The airlines could then make the decision which or how many flights they offered based on good old supply & demand.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
And if that was combined with locked cockpits and an advertised "no ransom" policy, poor Obama would see his unemployment numbers rise a lot, what with all the 'groupers' that would be out of a job.

Of course, with the exceptional skills and intelligence many of them have exhibited, I'm sure they could find employment elsewhere immediately

Old 04-22-2013, 02:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Are you saying that you can skip the search process if you have a pilot license?

If you fly a lot, AV Gas and a plane(small plane) payment is cheaper than a ticket on a national airline.
Overseas you are going to have to rent a Lear Jet.

No, you do not have to pass any search deal. You drive to your hanger. Park your car/truck. File a flight plan. Do a ground check. Fire it up and let the engine warm. Check all gauges and flaps again. Radio to the flight tower you are ready to get in line.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:17 AM

1,704 posts, read 750,321 times
We're eventually going to have to give up many freedoms due to the many idiots committing all of these mass shootings. Guns will have to be confiscated.

And yes, we should all be willing to be searched by TSA or any other governmental agency because of the obsession Americans have with guns and violence.
We should do whatever we can to secure our citizenry....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies