Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to give up some constitutional rights to feel safe?
I would rather not have any security checks at airports and take my chances on the flight. 64 68.09%
I would be willing to submit to a search without probable cause so that my fight will be safer. 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:48 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times

Advertisements

When the TSA can search my private home without cause get back to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 06:12 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And if you don't want an universal background check, don't buy a gun.
Which US constitutional amendment protects our right to fly without infringement?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Which US constitutional amendment protects our right to fly without infringement?
Don't make it too complicated on her. She's in utopia-ville.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post

The 4th.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
What makes you think there is no probable cause if you are at the border? A person outside the American border is probably not American and if they want to enter the American border they need to prove they are allowed to enter.
If I'm an American citizen and have done nothing wrong, why should I be subjected to an unwarranted search of my ID upon reentry to the country? Are you saying citizens leaving the country then coming back are no longer are afforded this protection you so value? What probable cause exist for a border guard to think someone is not an American Citizen? Is it simply because someone leaves the country they then are suspect to not be citizens? See how flawed your logic is? The reality is, there is no probable cause to think people at the border are not US citizens. Unless of course you think you "tell" just by looking.

You do not want to admit that you give up your "rights" to unwarranted searches willingly in some circumstances. Saying you object to some searches but not others while clinging to an absolute belief of freedom of moment is ridiculous and disingenuous.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
TSA is a bad argument. You have the option to not be searched simply by not choosing to fly. Your argument would be a lot better if somehow the TSA/government forced you to fly.
Poor argument.
One has personal liberty - the right to travel.
That in order to travel by air on a common carrier, one must surrender one's privacy and submit to a search IS a clever violation - by consent.

They could have used far less intrusive means to ascertain weapons or threats. But this way, they slowly train the "little frogs" to tolerate invasions of privacy "for our own good..."

Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
As much as I do not approve of the TSA behaviours the fact of the matter is ,if you have a vehicle that takes the public NTSB has a say so as to public safety that's you.
The airline takes some responsibility, plus there are liberals that love to sue for any reason ,even if it is their own fault .
Liability lawsuits are at the head of the list via the lawyers maing a fortune at it .
So there you go .
If I owned a plane and took the public in it , you'd better believe that I would take measures to ensure my own safety and excersize the right to refuse service to some one I do not trust . Call it profiling ,it's my life, I will make money on some one I do trust.
No one has the right to force me to serve any one ,period.
Violation of that right is the problem .
Liberals demanding rights they had not earned is the whole problem .

Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm not willing to give up or compromise even one tiny bit if freedom in exchange for safety. I want the country to remain as free and open as it was intended to be.

If that means I get blown the hell up, then too bad for me. I'm not gonna live forever anyway. But I wanna die in a free America.

And there you have it---- I'd rather get blown up than have to put up with that inconvenient 2 minute search! Two whole minutes of lost freedom!!---sure, I'll gladly give up my life for that. Lunacy.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Poor argument.
One has personal liberty - the right to travel.
That in order to travel by air on a common carrier, one must surrender one's privacy and submit to a search IS a clever violation - by consent.
Your "rights" (not that I agree flying is a right) are not being violated if you consent/waive them. I do wonder if you guys support racial profiling.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
If I'm an American citizen and have done nothing wrong, why should I be subjected to an unwarranted search of my ID upon reentry to the country? Are you saying citizens leaving the country then coming back are no longer are afforded this protection you so value? What probable cause exist for a border guard to think someone is not an American Citizen? Is it simply because someone leaves the country they then are suspect to not be citizens? See how flawed your logic is? The reality is, there is no probable cause to think people at the border are not US citizens. Unless of course you think you "tell" just by looking.

You do not want to admit that you give up your "rights" to unwarranted searches willingly in some circumstances. Saying you object to some searches but not others while clinging to an absolute belief of freedom of moment is ridiculous and disingenuous.
Outside of the American border your rights only exist to the extent the other country recognizes them. Similarly, your rights are only protected once you are inside the US border. Out of 7 billion people in the world only 315 million are US citizens. If you are outside the US border the overwhelming odds are that you are not a US citizen. In fact, there is about a 96% chance that you are not a US citizen if you are outside US borders.

Food for thought...
287.1 - Definitions. - PART 287: FIELD OFFICERS; POWERS AND DUTIES - Code of Federal Regulations - Title 8: Aliens and Nationality - January 01, 2011 - Order: 287.1 - 19608292 - PART 287: FIELD OFFICERS; POWERS AND DUTIES - Id 19608292 - vLex

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies