Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:42 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't see the problem. The US already has rather picky immigration policies, just like most other countries. Nobody really wants unskilled, poor immigrants anymore. Those only come in the course of family reunification or because they are asylum seekers fleeing from someone or something.

The US is so big, population density is low in most parts. If politics were right and society in a better state, immigration would not be a problem at all. Immigration is mostly a mental problem, the fear of change etc. on the part of the established population.

Even terrorism is very overrated. There are millions of immigrants. There is one attack every couple of years or so. There will always be a few terrorists, we have them in Europe as well, they exist in India, in Russia, in China, everywhere...
In my view there are more nuts among the incumbent US population than among immigrants

The US is a somewhat cold country, very harsh and excessively competitive. I can understand that immigrants from certain regions and cultures feel lost in the US and start to dislike it there. One of the two brothers behind the Boston attack said he has not made friends with any Americans after 10 years in the country. That makes me wonder if there are no programs aimed at integrating immigrants into society. I guess it is important because you don't want to hurt or kill whom you like and understand.
Maybe he didn't want to make friends? Maybe he was an a-hole? Many of the people who were interviewed (i.e. boxing coaches, etc) said he was basically a 'nice guy', so they didn't seem to be predisposed to not liking him. Maybe they didn't go out for beers afterward, but then again, he was a Muslim - his choice not to drink. I'm sensitive to the feelings of immigrants. I married an immigrant, and I've been an immigrant in another country. I've got no sympathy whatsoever for someone who insists on having it his way in another society - f*ck him and anyone who thinks like that.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:46 PM

62,978 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
It's not an automatic amnesty for one thing, but for another, let's be real and acknowledge that the deeper problem is that the American labor market has been wide open to competition from foreigners for years. The jobs here can in many cases be done completely overseas at a much lower cost. At least illegals come here and spend money, assuming we're still talking about the argument you're making above.
Never said it was but still the Democrats are pushing for it along with some clueless Republicans who think they will garner more of the Hispanic vote by caving into shamnesty. Outsourcing and illegal immigration are both hurting American job prospects but if I had to pick the lesser of two evils I would pick outsourcing because if Americans got their jobs back from illegal aliens (which can't be outsourced) they in turn would be constributing to our economy and spending dollars that they don't have to spend right now and at a higher wage. Illegal aliens are a burden to our society not a benefit in any way. Less crowded schools, jails and hospitals and lower taxes with the exit of illegal aliens from our country also.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:54 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Depends. With people who move somewhere voluntarily and deliberately I agree. They should not move to a place that is known to have different ways one cannot accept. Like, if you are a believing Muslim, you probably should not move to the US, but to a Muslim country instead.
With kids it can be difficult. Many second and even third generation "immigrants" have more problems adopting than their parents. It is odd, no idea why that is. I have heard it applies to immigrants in some European countries as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies