Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times

Advertisements

1500 new jobs, union members need not apply.

When you make unrealistic demands and force companies to shut down, don’t expect the company to re-open with arms wide open to your ilk.

Unions Force Twinkies Out of Business, Twinkies Re-Opens With 1,500 New Hires… None Union - Liberty News

Last edited by claudhopper; 04-29-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
As a former staff employee in a union tire factory my opinion is biased. I saw the union VOTE FOR the loss of over 1000 jobs because they did not like the idea of additional pay (piece work) above the standard production rate. The company offered an ADDITIONAL 5 dollar per tire built in a 12 hour shift after the standard was met. We had people that finished their quota in ten hours yet had to sit for two hours waiting for the shift to end. They could have earned 150 dollars PLUS a day if the union had allowed the piece work.

The union vote ended up in the company shutting down production of passenger tires at the plant. Close to 1000 people (Staff & union workers) lost their jobs. Personally I am glad it happened because I moved on to greener pastures and enjoy my job much more. Many of the guys working there were making 24 dollars an hour in production occupations had to figure out how to replace that income in a ten dollar an hour world.....

The union destroyed that plant. They continued to produce truck/bus tires at the plant with a NEW union contract at 4 dollars an hour less for existing workers and new hires starting at 13 dollars an hour.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:13 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
1500 new jobs, union members need no apply.

When you make unrealistic demands and force companies to shut down, don’t expect the company to re-open with arms wide open to your ilk.

Unions Force Twinkies Out of Business, Twinkies Re-Opens With 1,500 New Hires… None Union - Liberty News
All companies should follow suit.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
That's a shame. Twinkies and Ding Dongs are disgusting.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
All companies should follow suit.
All companies should pay minimum wage or less (via illegal immigration)

Old 04-29-2013, 05:18 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
As a former staff employee in a union tire factory my opinion is biased. I saw the union VOTE FOR the loss of over 1000 jobs because they did not like the idea of additional pay (piece work) above the standard production rate. The company offered an ADDITIONAL 5 dollar per tire built in a 12 hour shift after the standard was met. We had people that finished their quota in ten hours yet had to sit for two hours waiting for the shift to end. They could have earned 150 dollars PLUS a day if the union had allowed the piece work.

The union vote ended up in the company shutting down production of passenger tires at the plant. Close to 1000 people (Staff & union workers) lost their jobs. Personally I am glad it happened because I moved on to greener pastures and enjoy my job much more. Many of the guys working there were making 24 dollars an hour in production occupations had to figure out how to replace that income in a ten dollar an hour world.....

The union destroyed that plant. They continued to produce truck/bus tires at the plant with a NEW union contract at 4 dollars an hour less for existing workers and new hires starting at 13 dollars an hour.
That's called a race to the bottom until American workers make as little as the lowest foreign worker. It's also why corporate profits are breaking records while worker pay is stagnant.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:19 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's a shame. Twinkies and Ding Dongs are disgusting.
Don't buy them.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Most important lesson to be learned here, is that when huge union demands are destroying your business, the way to get rid of them is to declare bankruptcy and shut down. Then you can reopen under new management... rid of the union thugs.

BTW, were you wondering why Obama etc. bailed out GM instead of letting it go bankrupt? They would have reopened a short time afterward, you know, under new management. And gone right back to making cars, with the same employees if they wanted the jobs.

But the unions would never have voted massively for Obama again.

And now you know... the rest of the story.

------------------------------------------------------

Unions Force Twinkies Out of Business, Twinkies Re-Opens With 1,500 New Hires… None Union

by Eric Odom
Published: April 27, 2013 | 90 Comments

Dear union thugs, let this be a lesson.

The company that bought the Twinkie, HoHo and Ding Dong brands out of bankruptcy is gearing up to reopen plants and hire workers, but it won’t be using union labor.

Hostess Brands — Metropoulos & Co. and Apollo Global Management’s APO -0.58% new incarnation of the baking company that liquidated in Chapter 11 — is reopening four bakeries in the next eight to 10 weeks, aiming to get Twinkie-deprived consumers the classic snack cake starting in July.

Chief Executive C. Dean Metropoulos said the company will pump $60 million in capital investments into the plants between now and September and aims to hire at least 1,500 workers. But they won’t be represented by unions, including the one whose nationwide strike sparked the 86-year-old company’s decision to shut down in November.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Hmm, I wonder what the starting wage will be.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Well that is the company who bought them, nothing like paying workers less to do more work. It is the new American Way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies