Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 5,940 times

Advertisements

The term freedom is too broad a term. Most people use it simply to mean 'their ideal nation'. Although that would almost certainly not be an accurate term.

Easiest way to measure freedom is to simply count the number of liberties each country gives its people. It gets a little complicated here as although on the federal level the U.S. restricts far fewer liberties then Canada, It is often the case in the U.S. that on the state level things... vary. Some states possess levels of liberty that border on anarchy while others come very close to being police states.

I imagine the same applies to Canada. This however is an unavoidable consequence of the need to delegate authority due to the extreme size of our respective countries.

However there is yet another complication, freedom does not necessarily man more liberty. In my opinion freedom is the opposite of tyranny. And tyranny comes in three forms. Tyranny from the state, Tyranny from the people and tyranny from oneself.

The state needs to restrict some liberties through laws and regulations to avoid tyranny from the state and self.

Based on this it is my opinion that any law or regulation that does not directly fight tyranny is in itself a form of tyranny. And based on this and my admittedly understanding of Canadian laws, I m of the opinion that Canada is slightly less free then the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Right, you also are culturually homogeneous, have 1/10th of the population with the same number of natural resources, marginal illegal immigrant problem. Give me a break.
20% of the population in Canada are immigrants. How is that homogeneous? America's immigrant population is 13%.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:10 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
20% of the population in Canada are immigrants. How is that homogeneous? America's immigrant population is 13%.
16.3% of your population are "Visible minorities" per Statistics Canada 2006. The majority of your immigrants also come legally to be Canadians and work. You don't have 1.5 million illegal immigrants in your country (thats the proportion you'd have). All I am saying is that the US faces a lot more substantial and different challenges than Canadians do.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
A pretty self-explanatory thread. This was inspired by my fiancee, who is a Canadian citizen. We were discussing the political views of many American conservatives and she mentioned that many may feel that Canadians exchange their "freedoms". What do you think?
I consider the citizens of Canada to have far more freedom, and live a far higher quality of life than people in the U.S. (except for the American rich).

Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
The Bill of Rights ARE part of the Constitution. All of the amendments are just as applicable as the articles. I don't follow your reasoning here.

How is the Canadian Constitution any less enforceable than the US Constitution?
The poster put up documents that are no more than a part of what they call their constitution and claimed they were their constitution.

If I said "The Bill of Rights is our constitution" I would be wrong because it is only a part of our constitution, not the whole thing.

Our entire Constitution is a document, of which the Bill of rights is a part.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
In the US, you can't exercise your freedoms that would infringe on the rights of others. In Canada, there are far more restrictions including restrictions on offensive and hate speech.
I disagree with you about almost everything, but you're absolutely right on this point.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I absolutely support that, it is like that in most civilized countries... The only thing that needs careful attention is where to draw the line, there should be a broad consensus on that, not some few people deciding supposedly in the name of everyone.
The question was whether Canada is less free than the United States, not whether it's a good idea.

From this post you seem to agree that Canada is less free than the United States, but that that is a good thing.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
True. I am an American living in NS being sent here by my company. My daughter loves Kinder Eggs and toy inside is too big to choke on despite what the FDA says.

The problem our government has about them is they have no idea to classify it is a confection or a toy.

It really shouldn't be a concern of the government. They should not care or know.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
16.3% of your population are "Visible minorities" per Statistics Canada 2006. The majority of your immigrants also come legally to be Canadians and work. You don't have 1.5 million illegal immigrants in your country (thats the proportion you'd have). All I am saying is that the US faces a lot more substantial and different challenges than Canadians do.
You're absolutely right. So why do you keep letting them in?

Old 05-03-2013, 03:46 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I consider the citizens of Canada to have far more freedom, and live a far higher quality of life than people in the U.S. (except for the American rich).
Well, you would be wrong as usual.

The Heritage Foundation ranks countries on a freedom scale every year. Canada and the US are quite similar with Canada ranked #6 and the US ranked #10 out of 177 countries.

The US has 25% higher GDP per capita which generally reflects quality of life.

http://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

Last edited by Roadking2003; 05-03-2013 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies