Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And before anyone says no... LOF Glass moved much of their manufacturing from Toledo OH to Mexicali MX as soon as the law went into effect.

That's not Detroit but pretty darn close.
Spotlight fallacy.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You would think huh? And I sometimes wonder why the poorest and least educated states are those in the deep south dominated by conservative policies. Oh and the wealthiest and most highly educated states seem to be New England and the west coast, dominated by Democratic and liberal policies. Funny old world isn't it?
Love to see the citations behind your numbers.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
15 billion ? That is not a lot....millions in operating costs..that's standard...maybe money is not the real answer. Has there been discussion of the reformation of Detroit or are they going to attempt to re-establish what just collapsed? Which of course would be lunacy. Any way what's left of the place needs management...and it can not be left to rot- If one American city is allowed to fall- others will follow. I say your feds should take care of the very basic needs of the city and concentrate on a plan of revitalization- not bigger but smaller as we both suggested...You have understood my concept..shrink Detroit down to the model it was prior the car industry. It is an embarrassment to allow the place to start looking like a bombed out Berlin.
$15 billion is more than the GDP of many respectable countries.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Based on your statement, you must believe that only people in unions work in Detroit.
Why is that? Do you disagree with my statement? And if so why?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Why is that? Do you disagree with my statement? And if so why?
I do disagree with your statement, is all workers in Detroit apart of a union? Is there a law that prevents start up companies from not being apart of a union? Are you trying to tell me all the new start up tech companies that have popped up there are all union workers?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is a solution I am posing. Bulldoze the areas that are beyond living in. Anything that can still be saved, save it. Anything that can't be saved, tear it down.

There is still another issue to consider. There is lead contamination that has occurred in Detroit. If the soil is fouled up, that presents a severe problem.
Maybe they could make it into a wild-life reserve like Chernobyl has become.

Actually when you google map and street view Detroit neighborhoods, you can see that nature is reclaiming them. Detroit is actually quite beautiful now.

I wonder if there would be tourist value in it --- like it would be cool to visit Chernobyl now and look at the ruins, but it's still radioactive and Detroit would be an affordable trip. People come all the way out west to do ghost town tours, parts of Detroit are now a ghost town. Ghost towns are really cool.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I do disagree with your statement, is all workers in Detroit apart of a union? Is there a law that prevents start up companies from not being apart of a union? Are you trying to tell me all the new start up tech companies that have popped up there are all union workers?
With an official unemployment rate (not U6) >18%, what are you talking..3 startups with 9 employees total??

Old 07-21-2013, 11:20 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,550,525 times
What killed Detroit was corruption.

Were the local government bodies - for the city and the schools - not 100 percent corrupt, year after year, this would never have happened.

So....ask yourself.....why is THIS particular city government SO corrupt?

Where's Jimmy Hoffa?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I wonder if there would be tourist value in it --- like it would be cool to visit Chernobyl now and look at the ruins, but it's still radioactive and Detroit would be an affordable trip. People come all the way out west to do ghost town tours, parts of Detroit are now a ghost town. Ghost towns are really cool.
Excellent idea. Sort of a real life "Life after People".

Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe they could make it into a wild-life reserve like Chernobyl has become.

Actually when you google map and street view Detroit neighborhoods, you can see that nature is reclaiming them. Detroit is actually quite beautiful now.

Great idea. Give everyone on the bus an AR15 just in case there is an assault on the bus.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Please turn in your guns at the end of the tour"

Detroit Tour Bus:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies