Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 PM

258 posts, read 238,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Democrats haveThis is the thing about the Civil Rights Act. Johnson supported it and Goldwater didn't. People are voting for a President. At the end of the day, people care more about the President than anyone else. The Southern Strategy was used. That turned more Blacks against the Republican Party. Until you address that, or any of the other links I put up, why should I address the other stuff you have mentioned? I was putting the links up to let you know where I was coming from, and you dismissed some of it.

And consider this. There are more Blacks with college degrees and being in the middle class than at any other time in American history.
Well two reasons,

All that other "stuff" I mentioned actually happened in the last 40 years.
All that other "stuff" I mentioned that tangibly affects millions of people outweighs a grudge against ONE individual or even a group of individuals from OVER 40 years ago. And again a higher percentage of people from that same group voted for the Civil Rights Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The republican party is very different these days. They may have been for civil rights back then but not now.
Again Natalie, we are talking about actual policy, and not just how they make you FEEL. Yes Democrats talk a lot more about civil rights. But talking about something and actual policy that benefits are two completely different things

I know they make you FEEL better about race relations but how have they improved the black community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:19 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
So Clinton REDUCING welfare helped blacks? Something that those against welfare were saying FOR YEARS? Yet these people were dismissed with emotionally charged rhetoric by the Democratic party. By the way, too bad the damage was already done in the family and with the mindset of generational dependency in many ways.

And the Affordable Healthcare Act is fittingly named because almost everything named by the government is the opposite of it's title.

Now those low income families will have to shell out $695 a family member, up to 3 family members if they don't use a private, for profit service. That's over 2K that a small family may have in additional expenses

Now again I at least thank you for at least attempting to name some pieces of legislation. But those pieces do not help the case overall

The welfare piece because the Democratic party has been the most pro social welfare party there is out there. The Republicans are a joke because of corporate welfare. But if you want to talk social welfare, that isn't a Democratic strong suit with the way that's been used against the black family for decades (whether intentional or not) And neither is the "affordable" healthcare Act
Something about welfare. FDR established the framework for welfare in the USA. Alot of Whites benefited from government programs. I didn't see much "dependence". By saying that welfare hurts Black people, you would basically be saying "Blacks are inherently lazy and should be forced to work". I never heard any of this when it came to the New Deal.

And what is this "these people"?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This is a perfect example of what we were talking about on another thread. What starts off as a seemingly reasonable topic worthy of intelligent discussion turns out to be anything but. In this case the predetermined conclusion isn't even thinly veiled as the disjointed final two paragraphs demonstrate.
You didn't answer the Op's question, you dodged it.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Well two reasons,

All that other "stuff" I mentioned actually happened in the last 40 years.
All that other "stuff" I mentioned outweighs a grudge against ONE individual.
What happened in the late 1960s-early 1970s set in motion the way politics would work over the last 40 years, so in fact, everything I mentioned is relevant. And it wasn't just Barry Goldwater. Richard Nixon tried out the Southern Strategy. This strategy has been set in motion into the last 40 years.

And in the last 25 years, how many Republican Presidents have campaigned in Black areas? That right there makes alot of Black people feel they aren't wanted by the Republican Party.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
What incentive have Republicans given Blacks to vote for them in the last 40 years?
The question is - what incentive have Democrats given black Americans to vote for them for the last 40 years.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,046,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The question is - what incentive have Democrats given black Americans to vote for them for the last 40 years.
Actually the question is why republicans don't do more for them

Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,560,769 times
Quote:
What incentive have Republicans given Blacks to vote for them in the last 40 years?
They won't enslave you as their pets - you can learn to feed and clothe yourselves so you will be treated like equals. Isn't that what you've claimed to want all along?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTC View Post
Same D.Smith just like every other President of Players Association that doesn't draw attention to professional athletes that most of them are broke within half a decade of retiring. I got in a debate the other day saying how much influence the NFL could truly have in bringing awareness to this issue and trying to help out these young players who have no clue how to manage money.
It astonishes me how anyone making that type of money could blow it so badly.

If I earned that type of money, I would save it, just like I try to do with my relatively meager income.

The whole thing reminds me of a quote from former NASCAR driver Dave Marcis - the last of the independents.

These pro athletes who make millions and then become broke could learn much from Dave's words:

Quote:
We have done so much with so little for so long, that we can now do anything with nothing.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 PM

258 posts, read 238,639 times
Quote:
What happened in the late 1960s-early 1970s set in motion the way politics would work over the last 40 years, so in fact, everything I mentioned is relevant. And it wasn't just Barry Goldwater. Richard Nixon tried out the Southern Strategy. This strategy has been set in motion into the last 40 years.

And in the last 25 years, how many Republican Presidents have campaigned in Black areas? That right there makes alot of Black people feel they aren't wanted by the Republican Party.
So basically you are admitting you have no proposed policy but just buzzwords like "Barry Goldwater" and "Southern Strategy"

Somehow the interpretation of the Civil Rights Act as being unconstitutional, an act that was again over 40 years ago, can be used to excuse the fact that within the last 40 years that the proposed party of the Democratic party have been more damaging for the black community

All those millions of lives of black people don't matter because of the "feelings" you have towards a select couple of individuals.

A cherry picked narrative BTW, given LBJ's own stance on the Civil Rights act just a few years earlier in his career and the racist words that have been ascribed to him in his personal conversation

Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I asked the question first. What incentives have Republicans given Blacks to vote for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies