Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times

Advertisements

My wife makes more than me but its more of a function or the different industries in which we work. She's in finance and I'm in construction management.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Did you do all the cooking and cleaning or did she help? Imo, the working spouse should help as well. One thing I tell my husband is that his work day doesn't end when he comes home.
I did all the cooking, but I preferred it that way. She did some of the cleaning, especially on the weekends. I did all the kid errands - met with their teachers, took them to their sports and other activities, doctor's and dental appointments, grocery and clothes shopping.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I did all the cooking, but I preferred it that way. She did some of the cleaning, especially on the weekends. I did all the kid errands - met with their teachers, took them to their sports and other activities, doctor's and dental appointments, grocery and clothes shopping.
You're a good cookie, someone would be smart to hang onto you.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
You're a good cookie, someone would be smart to hang onto you.
Thanks. But the one I got doesn't want this coconut-chocolate chip cookie.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Women demasculate/degrade their men by the things that come out of their mouth. Talking down to their man. Second guessing his judgments. WORDS ARE POWERFUL.
Spitting doesn't equal emasculation.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:32 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Thanks. But the one I got doesn't want this coconut-chocolate chip cookie.
Big {{{hugs}}} to you, Lucario. You're an awesome guy.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:35 PM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post
We are working toward my wife getting her business to the point she can support us. I can trap beaver, fox, wolves then hunt moose, caribou, deer and bear then fish in the summer. It's an awesome marriage to a wonderful woman! No worries here with who makes the money here. Go for it!

Old 06-04-2013, 03:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL..... We had a huge drunken debate in our family about Feminism this weekend.. LOL... it was funny...

LOL, it must be the phase of the moon or something. So did we in our family, though we weren't *too* drunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
The operative cliche here is: If you want to do something right, do it yourself. If a woman wants to leave the housekeeping up to the man, she has no room to complain when it isn't up to her standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Feminist female here: I second, third and fourth this.
I disagree with both of you! DH and I have had this discussion many times. (It seems to be over now, LOL, after 33 years of marriage.) If I were to do one of his "man" tasks, e.g. change the oil in the car (which I do know how to do), he would expect me to do it correctly! If I didn't tighten the plug enough and it fell off while he was driving down the highway and all the oil drained out of his car, he'd be royally pissed! And well within reason, I might add. Likewise, a man can learn to sort clothes so the underwear doesn't come out pink, etc.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:38 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
feminism will soon collapse under the weight of it's own gravity.
Since when does equality and/or success = "feminism?" Do you even know the meaning of that term?? Oh yeah, and this article is lame IMO... if the widdle men can't handle their widdle feewings being hurt by successful women, get the heck over it and find a subservient woman who's happy being your inferior. Seriously, this is still an issue in 2013??

And I'm not saying all women SHOULD make more than their husbands... I'm just saying if they do, the men need to suck it up and deal (as we did for so many centuries). My sister makes considerably more than her husband, and somehow he's secure enough to not care. He is happy with his job, she's happy with hers, he is happy for her success, and the kids are reaping the benefits of having two successful parents. What's she supposed to do, quit her job that helps to pay their $1M mortgage - just so her husband can say he's the breadwinner? I don't think so.

As for the household chores, thanks in large part to my sister's salary, they can afford a maid who comes in weekly. Problem solved, LOL.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Very true.

Most feminists I have met hold mediocre positions or are in the arts, making little money and doing what they want to do because they can.

Those I know who are making big bucks (surgeons, VP's, CFO's) are far from feminists. They work long hours and still take care of the kids, run errands, pack lunches, make dinner etc.

Common misconception amongst those uninformed.
For the most part, I would have to agree with that. My sister mentioned above is an executive (sports industry), and also a "supermom" to whatever degree she can muster... she shuttles the kids back & forth to school, cooks - or orders, lol - most of the meals, and does more housework than her husband overall. He does a fair share too, but the traditional gender roles are still present to some degree. They didn't make that a rule or anything, it just seems to come naturally in many cases.

I also know a woman who's a doctor, married to a swing dance instructor, and they have a year-old baby. He is mostly a "house husband" at this point, since in a million years he could never earn what she does; and they live in San Francisco, where $600K won't even buy you a condo. But in terms of "feminism," I have never in my life considered her to be one of those. She just happens to be a brilliant woman, and followed in her doctor father's footsteps with the career choice. As I already asked once, since when is success a feminist thing??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies