Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,800,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm a job creator.

Wal-Mart pays its taxes, but even then, often pays less than what its supposed to and often receives subsidies from the city. Wal-Mart is being singled out because of their profits. If the company could not financially afford to pay its employees more, then no one would be singling Wal-Mart out.
What a crock. The gooberment is singling out Walmart because it doesnt want to pay more in public welfare.

Walmart does this society a favor by providing jobs to those that otherwise for any reason would be unemployed anyway.

I pay $2 above minimum for my entry level positions I've never had an Walmart employee come looking to me for work. Why? because its to damn hard other than scanning bar codes in an air conditioned building all day.

Get some skills an edumacation and get a different job or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,186,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
OP needs to stop complaining and "build their own business". Ooops, can't compete against big companies and government. Oh well!

Tell that to Best Buy and Amazon who beat out Circuit City and Tower Records.

9,827 posts, read 6,952,698 times
When did Wal Mart FORCE anyone to work for them? Ever heard of supply and demand? Don't like your pay, no problem.. Quit and go find a better job. I don't think Wal Mart will be standing in your way..

13,255 posts, read 12,156,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
OP needs to stop complaining and "build their own business". Ooops, can't compete against big companies and government. Oh well!
I've got 2 and just let one go.

I'm probably half your age.

Let me get back to actually contributing...

Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,797,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What a crock. The gooberment is singling out Walmart because it doesnt want to pay more in public welfare.

Walmart does this society a favor by providing jobs to those that otherwise for any reason would be unemployed anyway.

I pay $2 above minimum for my entry level positions I've never had an Walmart employee come looking to me for work. Why? because its to damn hard other than scanning bar codes in an air conditioned building all day.

There's a lot of truth to that. Walmart provides a lot jobs to people who might not find work elsewhere. Also, workers there can go to community colleges to seek new skills. I'm one of the rare liberals who doesn't mind shopping at Walmart and who also defends the company.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,156,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

You don't want a higher minimum wage. You don't want corporations to pay their employees better. What exactly do you want??

Who do you think are controlling our markets?? Our largest players are.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,208,300 times
Walmart put Main street out of business.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,186,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
When did Wal Mart FORCE anyone to work for them? Ever heard of supply and demand? Don't like your pay, no problem.. Quit and go find a better job. I don't think Wal Mart will be standing in your way..

If the state would eliminate the majority of its safety need and social programs, people would not try to make Wal-Mart their career of choice. The stores would be staffed by teenagers and part-timers like the business model was originally set up. Only the management team of the store should be "career" people.

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Walmart put Main street out of business.
That's what they said about Sears.

69,368 posts, read 64,249,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Eh, fail.

If less taxes and less regulations correlated to less poverty this map would look a lot different.
But what you said was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Why do states with less tax and regulation burdens have just as many or a higher percentage of their populations as poor?
There isnt any other state with more poverty than California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks;29986038Also, from the article you posted it had a nice little bit of information pertaining to the calculation of poverty.

"We're seeing a very slow recovery [nationally
, with increases in poverty among workers due to more new jobs which are low-wage," University of Wisconsin-Madison economist Timothy Smeeding told the Associated Press. "As a whole, the safety net is holding many people up, while California is struggling more because it's relatively harder there to qualify for food stamps and other benefits."
The Golden State's jump between the supplemental and conventional measures was the largest swing of any state, and the Sacramento Bee attributes it to California's high cost of living.
So?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies