Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 04:42 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,767,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, it's your claim, not mine.
How is it my claim if you are equating merit <> probable cause? I don't know if that's what you are doing since you are weak on specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 05:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Oh? Please show me a lawsuit without counts. I'm eager to learn since I'm not a lawyer.

Again you cannot sue for "violating someone's constitutional rights". Your request for relief must be more specific. I'm sad that no one here can iterate what would be in the lawsuit. If rights then what right, by who and why does it rise to the level of a lawsuit?
42 U.S.C. § 1983 : US Code - Section 1983: Civil action for deprivation of rights

Old 06-30-2013, 05:40 PM

You can't just list that either. You have to articulate the count (and it certainly is a count especially if it ends up in Federal court).

I'll give you credit. That is one of the things they will sue under but how will they articulate it?

You've got to be specific. There has to be an actual controversy. That's in the Constitution.

How about a menu to chose from?

1) T-shirt being told to take off was a violation of the 1st Amendment. Any teacher that ever makes a mistake like this has to answer for it in federal court. No other way to deal with it. All t-shirt violations by a dumb ass are for the court only.

2) Second amendment violation because there was a gun on the shirt. I do think the lawyer isn't that stupid.

3) False arrest though a court ruled there was probable cause.

4) Malicious prosecution though a court ruled there was probably cause.

What have I left out?

Old 06-30-2013, 06:01 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
14-year-old at the center of "NRA T-Shirt Controversy" now facin - WTRF 7 News Sports Weather - Wheeling Steubenville

This is where the blood sucking state worshipers are leading this country. I don't care if you're for or against guns, this is what an out of control government looks like on even a local level.
Nice try, however he obstructed the job of an officer. Try that next time you get stopped for a traffic violation and see how quickly you'll spend some time at the local PD's Days' Inn. Guaranteed next time an officer approaches him, he's going to be nice about it.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
You can't just list that either. You have to articulate the count (and it certainly is a count especially if it ends up in Federal court).
That might be true if I really cared what the lawsuit will say exactly. I don't. It will be filed and the school and city will settle out of court.

As I said earlier though, if it was me I would require any settlement to include a written essay by the prosecutor, the police officer and the teacher on why you must respect the rights of others. Single spaced of course.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Nice try, however he obstructed the job of an officer. Try that next time you get stopped for a traffic violation and see how quickly you'll spend some time at the local PD's Days' Inn. Guaranteed next time an officer approaches him, he's going to be nice about it.
One shouldn't talk back when you have actually done something wrong.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
That might be true if I really cared what the lawsuit will say exactly. I don't. It will be filed and the school and city will settle out of court.

As I said earlier though, if it was me I would require any settlement to include a written essay by the prosecutor, the police officer and the teacher on why you must respect the rights of others. Single spaced of course.
We'll see but if there is a fight it will last years. Well at least 6 months to throw it out and then appeals from the other side.

No settlement will be against the prosecutor, cop or teacher because they will be dismissed pronto. The school is the only fat target here and I hope they hold their ground.

You are pretty smart. I've seen that in your other posts. But what you say you want here and what you don't care about (you don't care for things you cannot articulate) are just fantasy which is what most of this thread is. From the lie of the subject line on. Any one that bought the subject line is a fool.

But you want people to be punished for something you yourself cannot articulate. That isn't someone standing up for rights, it's someone with contempt for those same rights.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 PM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Please tell me this constitutional scholar is doing community service for wasting peoples time and disrupting the school he attended. It would be great if one of these parents would actually own up to the mistakes of their child and take responsibility, too much disregard for authority and a teaching moment lost.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
We'll see but if there is a fight it will last years.
There will be no fight. Bank on it.

Quote:
Well at least 6 months to throw it out and then appeals from the other side.

No settlement will be against the prosecutor, cop or teacher because they will be dismissed pronto. The school is the only fat target here and I hope they hold their ground.

You are pretty smart. I've seen that in your other posts. But what you say you want here and what you don't care about (you don't care for things you cannot articulate) are just fantasy which is what most of this thread is. From the lie of the subject line on. Any one that bought the subject line is a fool.

But you want people to be punished for something you yourself cannot articulate. That isn't someone standing up for rights, it's someone with contempt for those same rights.
The subject line is like so many on here. No he was never going to spend a year in jail. I have no idea if they will sue each of the above as individuals nor do I care. It's not about the specifics. It's about the big picture.

The charges were dropped and the family is going to see a big settlement that those sued will claim no guilt but the message will be sent all the same.

People have the rights to not be harassed and arrested because someone else doesn't like what they say.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
The charges were dropped and the family is going to see a big settlement that those sued will claim no guilt but the message will be sent all the same.

People have the rights to not be harassed and arrested because someone else doesn't like what they say.
Your last statement is irrelevant since you are unable to articulate it to this thread. You also have the right not to be shot while sitting in your house by a cop. Who cares? Nothing to do with this case.

As for the first, it depends on the insurance company. It will not be settled on the merits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies