Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I am all for it if American authorities can guarantee that American social ills do not spread north like a disease.....I don't think that is possible. For instance the new phenomena of gangster gun crime has now infested Canada- We have a boarder but it did not stop American gun runners from shipping arms north.
Silly Oleg.

They're not shipping arms, they're shipping you FREEDOM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 11:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Yes
Interesting. Maybe removing borders and thus border controls would actually make crossing the border less attractive... Like with many other things, forbidding something only makes it more desirable...

Old 08-08-2013, 11:48 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
It's time to also be able to move and work freely between those two nations without any need to obtain citizenship and green card just like EU nations. I believe the USA started to tighten the border with Canada in the last 10 years because they felt that the Canadian government does not take the threat of terrorism as seriously as the US government (the Canadians will disagree). At the same time, Canadians are probably shocked at the tolerance of illegal aliens by the American government. Until these problems are resolved I do not think any border progress can really be achieved.
Yeah, for their credit, the Canadian government understands that, of all the things to worry about in the world, terrorism is near the bottom of the list. Kudos to them for at least getting that right.

For some other people, opening the border would not mean that the USA and Canada would have to, in any way, "join forces" or "become one". All it means is that you can travel freely between them, just like you can go from France to Germany, or Finland to Sweden, or Italy to Austria, etc. These are all different countries that have their own rules and laws, but that doesn't mean they have to make it a pain to travel from one to the other (and they don't).

The European Union was a bad idea for lots of reasons, but one thing they absolutely got right was getting rid of border crossings between countries. The rest of the world could learn from that.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Interesting. Maybe removing borders and thus border controls would actually make crossing the border less attractive... Like with many other things, forbidding something only makes it more desirable...
Right, the main reasons "illegals" destroy property and whatnot is because they aren't allowed to just drive on a highway like normal people. If you had to go from Indiana to Illinois and weren't allowed to take the freeway, you'd sneak through people's backyards too.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
The European Union was a bad idea for lots of reasons, but one thing they absolutely got right was getting rid of border crossings between countries. The rest of the world could learn from that.
I am not so sure if that has much to do with the EU or with Schengen. If I am not mistaken, the EU allows people to relocate anywhere in the EU, whereas Schengen only allows people to travel freely (without relocating).

Old 08-08-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I am not so sure if that has much to do with the EU or with Schengen. If I am not mistaken, the EU allows people to relocate anywhere in the EU, whereas Schengen only allows people to travel freely (without relocating).
Well, regardless of who gets the credit - it's still the same outcome. It is much better for people living in Europe to be able to travel to other countries without having to be stopped and questioned each time they cross a line. It would be just as beneficial to have that same ability here in the Americas.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
life would be better for us all if the Americans had won the Battle of Qubec... just saying.... LOL.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Well, regardless of who gets the credit - it's still the same outcome. It is much better for people living in Europe to be able to travel to other countries without having to be stopped and questioned each time they cross a line. It would be just as beneficial to have that same ability here in the Americas.
On the one hand I agree, it is more practical. But then again, I also remember the time before Schengen and it felt like one was really going somewhere. I liked that, just like I liked all the different currencies. It really felt like going to another country. Today it is a bit boring, permanently moving from, say, Belgium to Spain feels like moving house, not like emigration anymore.

But I read that border controls between the US and Canada tend to be a bit unfriendly, as if those two countries did not trust each other, which is odd given they are so similar and closely intertwined economically and otherwise.

(Just read on Wiki that there are EU countries that are not part of Schengen and non-EU countries that are part of Schengen. So I could travel to Switzerland anytime without controls, but I could not move there without the usual bureaucracy.)

Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoulesMSU

Well, regardless of who gets the credit - it's
still the same outcome. It is much better for people living in Europe to be able
to travel to other countries without having to be stopped and questioned each
time they cross a line. It would be just as beneficial to have that same ability
here in the Americas.
Beneficial to Americans, perhaps. That way they can come in to our fair country armed to the teeth.
Not to mention hordes of illegals sauntering cross the border and disappearing.
So again...no thank you.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:34 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
If you look closely at this document, it is referring to Canada OUTSIDE Quebec. Most francophone in Canada live in Quebec, and most French-speaking immigrants to Canada settle in Quebec.

Now there are francophones who live in the nine other provinces of Canada (other than Quebec), and in these provinces immigrants have tended to assimilate to English at the rate of something like 99.5%. Given that immigration is a large portion of population growth in Canada, these communities have been lobbying to get some share of the immigration pie, so that not all immigrants to their provinces be anglophones (or anglophiles) and also that not all of the francophones go to Quebec.

As I said, this is the situation OUTSIDE Quebec.

As for Quebec itself, it does quite well for itself on the francophone immigration front. There are several hundred million francophones around the world and it is not that hard to find a few dozen thousands a year who want to move to Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies