Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 07:22 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim Robinson View Post
Do you find the terms 'Colored' people or 'Negro' offensive?
Depends on that persons age and the context of how it is being said. I find the n-word offensive only because of the negative history that it comes from.

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
He was found with a screwdriver in his backpack. Did he steal women's jewelry? He might have. Kids do strange stuff, especially when a divorce has screwed things up. He very well might have been headed down the wrong road.

As everyone should expect in our system, people are innocent until proven guilty. George can be a hothead, capable of flicking a switch and being set off. Trayvon was 17, I'm sure he could be unpredictable at times as well. I'm sure his parents now wish they stayed together and Trayvon was back in sports. But he did do some volunteer work with his dad. He was just an average student, but was seemingly interested in aviation.

But on that night, it matters not what the reputations of GZ or TM were. It was a bizarre set of circumstances. In 99% of the communities in the country, it would have been a normal night. George said it was God's will. In a way, he's right. Whatever happened that night, it changed peoples lives forever, including George's. I know the frustration that people like George live with, it's not easy. Most people don;t flip, but some do. Trayvon may also have been agitated. He was suspended from school, sent to his dad's house. It was a special set of circumstances that I seriously doubt either man would have ever been prepared for.

Someone made a big mistake, and one of them is dead.

Once you leave the racial stuff and speculation at the door, there is time for reflection, and hopefully, reconciliation. It used to be that tragic events like this made people reflect on their actions and their characters. Nowadays, it seems to make people worse off than before. Sad commentary.
Well said.

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
According to the law but her maturity level is obviously not on par with that number. If you want to look at just numbers there are grown men and women who are in their 40's that are mentality handicapped and have the mental capacity of a 6 year old, but legally they are adults as well.
Is she classified as mentally disabled? If so then shame on that lawyer. If not she needs to face the music like any other witness.
My daughter is severely Autistic. She will be 26 on 3 July but mentally she is about as functional as a 7 year old.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Nope, PTSD and severe carpal tunnel syndrome. I sure hope they also do an audio recording like most courts do nowadays so they can check their work.
My next question is when the "N" word is spoken do they copy down the whole word or do they just put a capitol "N"?
I guess that'd depend on if the stenographer was white or black right?
No clue, I can't read stenotype.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
This isn't about maturity, this is about ignorance. She's not immature, she's very very stupid.
That is a matter of opinion and on whose scale that she is being measure with. I bet if you were dropped off in Hati, I bet the people there would think the same thing about you as well.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Is she classified as mentally disabled? If so then shame on that lawyer. If not she needs to face the music like any other witness.
My daughter is severely Autistic. She will be 26 on 3 July but mentally she is about as functional as a 7 year old.
that was the point that I was making when her age was mentioned. It also does not take into account of her maturity level either.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Ahhh, so very, very, very many mind readers/psychics on this board. Hopefully they are all making lots of money telling fortunes for other people. I"m surprised that they cannot tell us what the ultimate verdict will be in this case.
How is it "mind reading"? He said "creepy white cracker" which is a racist term, or is it your stance that only the "N" word is racist (of course only when said by someone other than a black person )?
If people are going to go after people like Paula Deen for what was said years ago then everyone else who espouses racist epithets is fair game as well.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,918 times
Quote:
If you want to be one-sided to think that way , how hard is for you not to believe that zimmerman wanting to "keep them freaking ni66rs" out his neighborhood?
From everything I've seen and heard, I just don't believe George is like that. There are very few humans alive that don;t have some sort of racial bias, even if they don't know it. Even good liberals have racial bias, which usually comes out after some frustration, which is the same with everyone. Favoring blacks or Hispanics over whites is bias, whether you believe it or not. White people all over know the terms, and many use them. Blacks as well.

It's very hard to restrain it all the time because everyone's heard them.

Just because you lambast people for using the N word doesn't mean you're not racist. Many people show their overt racism by demeaning other people for demeaning other races. It makes them feel whole, and nice.

Bottom line, humankind is a whole. Good and bad amongst us all.

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
This isn't about maturity, this is about ignorance. She's not immature, she's very very stupid.
She is completely unable to articulate her thoughts. Why I don't know. She may very well be borderline retarded.
Ignorant and stupid are 2 entirely different things. Ignorance is by choice, stupid is by birth.

1,209 posts, read 1,036,762 times
Quote:
That is a matter of opinion and on whose scale that she is being measure with. I bet if you were dropped off in Hati, I bet the people there would think the same thing about you as well.
I know some Haitians, they aren't as ignorant as the poster you replied to, far from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies