Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:18 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,325,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Why is it you all jump for joy? It's ironic as traditional marriages fail and YOUR marriage is on the rocks that you celebrate this. Gays and lesbians have never been denied anything...they have always been free to do what others do...Look at the stats...straight people are avoiding the institution and bonds of marriage..They want to be free from state and religious control and domination...Straight people are now simply being together...strange how gays and lesbians are actually tossing their freedom away...out of sheer spite.
Wait. I'm straight. I'm married.
My Sister's straight - married
My best friend - straight-married
My boss, at least 4 of the 5 people who work in my office.
My landlords are married.
My cousin is 19 and getting married.....
where are you getting this "straight people are avoiding the institution of bonds of marriage" nonsense?

Strange how you are tossing your own credibility away out of sheer spite.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:43 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,849,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Recent instances of discrimination have been met with public outrage and a prompt apology by the hierarchy of the Southern Baptists. It is very unlikely that there would be anything but widespread support when they deny gays marriage in their churches. The law may recognize them, but it will be many years before the major religious orders do.
Many of the congregations in the United Church of Christ have been performing same gender marriages for years. To varying levels several other denominations already support same gender marriages. The Unitarian Universalism churches have also been performing same gender marriages.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Many of the congregations in the United Church of Christ have been performing same gender marriages for years. To varying levels several other denominations already support same gender marriages. The Unitarian Universalism churches have also been performing same gender marriages.
This is what I keep saying. This discussion is NOT about religion. If you ask MOST religious people they will say that their church should have freedom to support what they believe in. So if the Catholic or Baptist or any other church do not support SSM, fine they don't have to perform the ceremonies in their church. But the churches that DO support it should be allowed the freedom to perform them.

If a gay couple want to have a religious marriage ceremony then no one should be able to tell them that they can't. If they don't want a religious ceremony than religious issues plays no part in it, so it's really stupid to keep bringing it up as an issue.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,311,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Wait. I'm straight. I'm married.
My Sister's straight - married
My best friend - straight-married
My boss, at least 4 of the 5 people who work in my office.
My landlords are married.
My cousin is 19 and getting married.....
where are you getting this "straight people are avoiding the institution of bonds of marriage" nonsense?

Strange how you are tossing your own credibility away out of sheer spite.
Just because you know about 12 or so couples that are married or plan to does NOT mean the total numbers are not dropping.

You need to keep in mind, your world is in reality very small.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Just because you know about 5 or so couples that are married or plan to does NOT mean the total numbers are not dropping.

You need to keep in mind, your world is in reality very small.

IT IS!??!?!?!
The world doesn't revolve around me and mine!?!?!?

My goodness....

Guy, the poster I was replying to said that "straight people are avoiding the institution and bonds of marriage..They want to be free from state and religious control and domination...Straight people are now simply being together" I was simply pointing out the fact while this may be happening, and has always happened, it's not the case with all "straights" Perhaps he could use some of your "your world is in reality very small" knowledge.

EDIT:
Nice edit by the way. Don't worry, no one is grading your math skills.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,849,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The people of California spoke twice some gay judge's opinion is evidently worth more. Sad day.
A Gay Judges opinion is worth the same as a Straight Judges. Isn't equality grand.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,572,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Should all churches be required by law to perform same sex marriages ?
You do realize that you do not need a church to be legally married?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 AM

782 posts, read 1,106,539 times
Quote:
If you are a straight woman which I assume you are...and married. Your marriage is now irrelevant. It really means nothing - it does not exist. Now that people who should not and naturally do not belong within the bonds of holy matrimony have entered the realm of marriage...Marriage has been corrupted and diluted to the point that it is tasteless - So - I would say that your boat has hit the rocks whether you know it or not...Those that cheer on the very re-definition and meaning of sex itself - have lost sight of what the roles are in marriage. If you as a so-called straight person advocate the redefinition of sex (marriage) - it's just a matter of time till thing fall apart....How can you be devoted to your spouse when you are not devoted to reality? Same sex marriage is a fantasy. Marriage is a formal declaration that breeding will take place under the auspice of church or state...there is no breeding among same sex couples...So how can it be mating which is marriage.

I would never deny two people from being together...but I will not comply to the changing of the meaning of a word or thing//// Old fashioned hard core realist....sorry....that's what I am. I was born this way.
What a kook! So, should people over the age of 45 also be denied marriage rights? After all, they won't be producing any children. What about people who are infertile? Should their marriages be declared null and void? After all we can't allow people to be married if they can't produce offspring. In fact, maybe marriages should be temporary, and even formerly child-bearing marriages nullified once those people turn 45, after all with no more child-bearing years there is no more point to their marriage ...

Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,628 times
Quote:
If you are a straight woman which I assume you are...and married. Your marriage is now irrelevant. It really means nothing - it does not exist. Now that people who should not and naturally do not belong within the bonds of holy matrimony have entered the realm of marriage...Marriage has been corrupted and diluted to the point that it is tasteless - So - I would say that your boat has hit the rocks whether you know it or not...Those that cheer on the very re-definition and meaning of sex itself - have lost sight of what the roles are in marriage. If you as a so-called straight person advocate the redefinition of sex (marriage) - it's just a matter of time till thing fall apart....How can you be devoted to your spouse when you are not devoted to reality? Same sex marriage is a fantasy. Marriage is a formal declaration that breeding will take place under the auspice of church or state...there is no breeding among same sex couples...So how can it be mating which is marriage.

I would never deny two people from being together...but I will not comply to the changing of the meaning of a word or thing//// Old fashioned hard core realist....sorry....that's what I am. I was born this way.
Wow, do you ever live in Lala-land!

How does

1.) other people marrying make another marriage irrelevant?

2.) a civil marriage have anything to do with being "holy?"

3.) same sex marriage "dilute" the concept of marriage?

4.) marriage define roles? What are those roles?

5.) recognizing that there are people in the real world who cannot legally be married represent detachment from reality? I would think that denying that this problem exists is much more representative of denial of reality.

6.) marrying another person represent a "formal declaration that breeding will take place?" On what planet and in what dimension and in what "reality?"

7.) "mating" equal "marriage?"

8.) a person fail to grow and learn? You were "born this way," then closed your eyes, your ears, and your mind so that your world won't fall apart?

Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,340,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Baloney! They're are very few states as much against gays than Oklahoma.
Okie-Land is pretty Red and at least two-thirds of its inhabitants are hardcore neocons, true. And a lot of fundamentalist Christians of the fire-and-brimstone, judgmental type.

But trust me, there has long been a large, thriving gay community in the state. This, of course, is particularly true in larger towns and the metros...OKC, Tulsa, Stillwater, but scattered throughout the state.

My sister and her partner have been together 18 years and raised a (perfectly well-adjusted, successful and--as it happens--heterosexual) son together. They lived in Tahlequah until a few months ago and just moved out of state for job reasons, but they were openly out and gay and had a wide circle of friends, a strong church family and are very, very successful movers-and-shakers in their communities with high-profile positions. They've never encountered any trouble or redneck prejudicial blowback that I know of. And they are just one example. Through them I have met many gay individuals and couples in the state who have similar stories.

Quote:
If you are a straight woman which I assume you are...and married. Your marriage is now irrelevant. It really means nothing...
My wife of 17 years will be shocked to hear this.

I always felt marriage as an institution was eroding just fine by itself when purely in the heterosexual realm with all the incidents of adultery and the astonishing divorce rates.

Quote:
...sorry....that's what I am. I was born this way.
If you had happened to have been born gay, I wonder if you would have advocated to prevent yourself from having the right to marry a same sex partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies