Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 12:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Nope, I gave my opinion about Snowden, not Clapper. The thread is about Snowden. Clapper may have very well perjured himself, although lawyers will split hairs over that until we are all long gone.
clapper admitted to it.

Quote:
I believe Snowden violated his oath and is a traitor to this country.
Keeping quiet about the governments unconstitutional actions were never a part of any oath.

Quote:
Furthermore, I think he is the worst kind of traitor. The kind who runs away, discloses information to the press after he runs away, and jaunts off to foreign countries instead of standing up for what he believes in and putting his faith in our system of justice.
The one that refuses to charge Clapper with perjury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 06:41 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Nope, I gave my opinion about Snowden, not Clapper. The thread is about Snowden. Clapper may have very well perjured himself, although lawyers will split hairs over that until we are all long gone.

I believe Snowden violated his oath and is a traitor to this country.

Furthermore, I think he is the worst kind of traitor. The kind who runs away, discloses information to the press after he runs away, and jaunts off to foreign countries instead of standing up for what he believes in and putting his faith in our system of justice.
Snowden was a contractor. Government contractors do not swear oaths.

I have absolutely no problem with Snowden releasing the information to the media and fleeing the country, since we have a long history of prosecuting whistle-blowers in the US. I am grateful to Snowden for his courage in revealing that the NSA was violating the US Constitution by spying on American citizens.

Had Snowden stopped there, he would have had my full support. However, after fleeing the US he provided China, Russia, and other countries with national security information. That is where he crossed the line and became a traitor.

Revealing that the NSA is committing violations of the US Constitution against the American people is not treason, but revealing classified information to other governments is treason.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:35 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Find another charge and convict and execute him.
Sounds like you would fit right in with J Edgar Hoover and Adolph Hitler. You could have a nice cozy chat circle.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
. The primary method is to secretly contact supportive congressmen who will ride cover (in Snowden's case, someone like Rand). The path will always be tough, but the outcome won't be prison or expatriation.
How do you know he didn't?

Old 01-25-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
The man violated law. He admitted he violated law. Why he fled.

End of story.

No claims of moral authority or what was "illegal" can trump what he did. He clearly violated law and his oath of accepting that type of job. Period.
Just like those who aided fleeing slaves 150 years ago. People have moral duty to oppose tyrannical governments and illegal government activity.

Moral authority always trumps the law.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Blowing the whistle on unconstitutional activities by our own government is one thing, but revealing national security secrets to other nations is entirely different. The former makes Snowden a hero, the latter makes him a traitor.
What national security secrets did he reveal?

Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How do you know he didn't?
Because he would be in prison by now if he had. Daniel Ellsberg sent the "Pentagon Papers" to 17 different newspapers and Congress. Unlike Snowden, Ellsberg did not flee the US. Ellsberg was arrested and was facing 115 years in prison, had the government not blown the case through prosecutorial misconduct and illegal evidence gathering by the FBI.

Snowden did the right thing by fleeing the US.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
What the NSA may be doing is wrong.

Make the NSA purely military instead of contracting out. Should help.

Better yet, disband the NSA completely and put their leaders in jail for extreme violation of the fourth amendment.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i cant explain my position by politics but by morals. NSA behavior is just plain wrong. obama's defense of them is worse.
without snowden we would not even know about this stuff.
Good post. Obama should be on trial, not Snowden.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I swore an oath to the Constitution to protect my knowledge of what occurred in a certain segment of the Navy and I will not violate that trust.
Then why don't you do that? The fourth amendment is part of the constitution that you swore to uphold. NSA violated the constitution and if you were a good military man, you would be fighting the NSA to preserve the constitution. Snowden should be your leader, helping you to honor your oath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies