Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
We don't.

/thread
You have argued, repeatedly, that you are not a liberal.

Thanks for confirming what we knew all along.

Now you can stop your "I voted for Reagan" or whatever your tagline is when you feel like running from the mental illness known as liberalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 07:01 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
no no no no! Let me explain it to you more simply since you are still drunk with the Obama Kool-aid.
Giving the tax payers like you and me, average people, their tax money back so THEY can spend it as they see fit for THEIR benefit instead of the liberals in government spending it on failed programs.
We know the theory. There were several problems with that theory.

First, tax-breaks didn't fall to "taxpayers like you and me," unless we were millionaires or billionaires. The vast majority of the tax-cuts went to the rich.

Second, economist found that this kind of stimulus was inefficient, as most of the money went into savings instead of consumption.

Third, those "liberals in government spending it on failed programs," aren't spending it on "failed programs." They're spending it on needed infrastructure, aid to states, aid to the unemployed, etc.

As far as your hostility to regulations goes, regulations and reforms didn't rise from a vacuum. They were a reaction to industry abuses and market failures.

Miners were abuses and lived in poverty; factory workers were exploited; seniors lived in poverty; consumers were preyed upon with tainted food products and drugs and the environment was exploited.

There has been a period before federal regulation of food that suppliers have tried to sell tainted meat, canned goods and produce. You can't blame government for that problem. That was caused by unregulated industries. After that, government saw a need to regulate food safety.

We can go on and add oil drilling regulations; environmental regulations; etc. It's clear there is no market force encouraging environmental protection, as evident by the fact that when there wasn't an EPA the auto industry produced dirty emission vehicles and chemical companies spewed raw waste into public waters.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:08 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You have argued, repeatedly, that you are not a liberal.
You really have to stop making **** up. I have argued only that I am not and never have been a Democrat, and that I am not a blind defender of this President and his policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC
Now you can stop your "I voted for Reagan" or whatever your tagline is when you feel like running from the mental illness known as liberalism.
I cannot change what is historically true. Here are my votes for every Presidential election in which I have participated:

1976 - Ford
1980 - Reagan
1984 - Reagan
1988 - Bush
1992 - Clinton
1996 - Clinton
2000 - Perot
2004 - Bush
2008 - Obama
2012 - Obama

Old 07-05-2013, 07:13 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
The Catholic faith? You obviously know nothing of faith.
After 12 years of parochial schools (paid for without vouchers by the way) to include four semesters of Roman Catholic Theology, I suspect otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124
People are allowed and supposed to express their faith openly.
What does that have to do with deciding or funding? Is English not your native language. Whose post do you hallucinate you are responding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124
If faith offends you, I can find many other things expressed openly in the public square the should be left in the privacy of peoples bedrooms.
Faith does not offend me. Dishonesty and willful ignorance do.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 AM

596 posts, read 730,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Look at the squatter in the White House. He wants government in your everyday life.
So now he's a squatter? LMAO! I bet it would literally send you into some type of convulsive state to admit that Barack Obama was elected to be the President of the United States not once, but twice. You poor thing, I bet you even have dreams about how happy you will be on his last day in office. I can understand not liking any particular president, as there have been plenty that I didn't care for. But don't you folks ever get tired of just looking completely foolish with the way you describe Obama? It makes you look childish and petty, and makes it nearly impossible for anyone to take you seriously. He is not a squatter, he is the president. Your bizarre denial of that fact doesn't make it any less true.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
You are being disingenuous, as liberals know by advocating government as the sole enforcer, their mission is accomplished, gov't grows in size.
That's not true at all. Liberals believe the government should do things when the private sector can't or doesn't want to.

As I said, liberals have things they want the government to do -- like guaranteeing health care, making sure the environment is clean and making sure people are protected against big corporations. If it makes the government bigger, so be it. Yet, the size of government isn't the objective.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
no no no no! Let me explain it to you more simply since you are still drunk with the Obama Kool-aid.

Obama has nothing to do with my opinion on this matter. Nice try, though.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
So now he's a squatter? LMAO! I bet it would literally send you into some type of convulsive state to admit that Barack Obama was elected to be the President of the United States not once, but twice. You poor thing, I bet you even have dreams about how happy you will be on his last day in office. I can understand not liking any particular president, as there have been plenty that I didn't care for. But don't you folks ever get tired of just looking completely foolish with the way you describe Obama? It makes you look childish and petty, and makes it nearly impossible for anyone to take you seriously. He is not a squatter, he is the president. Your bizarre denial of that fact doesn't make it any less true.
They still can't wrap their tiny brains around it. Frankly, I don't know what is so surprising. George Bush got elected twice.

I won't say I wasn't surprised at his reelection, but it didn't move me to the level of hate that these conservatives seem to have. Nor did I attempt to blame EVERYTHING on one man.

It is they who have so divided this country.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I think the people on the Right have history to point to for the failure of big government. Just look at the the government failed ideas in the depression of the 1930's and made it into the Great Depression. The "forgotten man" got skinned by FDR and his economic "advisers".

JFK rattles his saber and almost caused a nuke war then doubled down too go charging off to Vietnam to save the little brown people. Followed up by LBJ and his "Great Society" programs that have all pretty much failed.

Toss in government's sad racial history, Jim Crow laws, etc...and now affirmative action...which punishes a innocent group of people for the crimes committed by previous government officials. But what the heck....

We saw a huge government induced housing bubble with the two federal housing agencies giving out money to anyone that comes to the door and then blames wall street for trying to make money on the deal. Did anyone in government get fired? Or Wall Street? Nope...

Health Care - Sure, Medicare was suppose to only cost a few billion dollars by the year 2000 but that did not turn out even close. Now we have Obama care with the same promise to 'fix" it. Really?

EPA - Sure it's nice to have clean air but who determines the standards? Sure, shut down coal and watch the lights go out for everyone but big government. Watch the few remaining factors shut their doors and move overseas. Harsh? Perhaps, but that is the real world. Want to see EPA in action? Talk to the trucking industry and witness first hand the various failed ideas to "clean up diesel trucks". Wait a few years and you will see a gallon of milk go for ten dollars because there are very few trucking companies running.

Government is suppose to protect the people against evil companies? Who is going to protect the people from big government? Just go ask a young black male who he fears more...big government policeman or a big company that might give him a job. How did that IRS thing work out? I better watch it or NSA might be after me too.

Don't like letting people like me keep the money so I can send my child to a good private school vice a failed public school? Why? 50 years of declining public schools is not enough proof that big government is clueless about education. Don't worry. Dept. of Ed. got their fair share of cash the last 30 years with zero to show for it. Where I live, 50 percent of the 10th grade kids tested failed the reading test....50 percent...now tell me again why you can't let me have my tax money back so I can pick a better school?

You rail against big government telling women they can't kill the unborn child but love big government to tell us how to live our lives in every other area? Why? The unborn child has no rights? After 40 years of abortion, 40 million dead, even the Justices on the Supreme court said it was a bad decision. 50 states outlaws abortion and 9 justices told them to pack sand...big government knows best...

You don't like deregulation? Really, do you own a business? I do. Trucking company. You want to see paperwork, go ask a OTR trucker...just go on internet and read the trucking forums....type in "working hours" for drivers....and see if those regulations are easy to follow...and oh by the way...80 percent of all trucker/car accidents are caused by cars..not trucks...but hey...big government thinks otherwise...despite the data....

At the end of the day...education is a failure, medical care is bankrupting the nation, government workers are some of the highest paid in the nation, 3.7 trillion dollars in spending, at the federal level is not enough, a trillion dollars spent on welfare at the federal level last year and yet we have the highest poverty rates in our history...

Tell us, "When does big government get it right?"
You seem to be saying that the New Deal policies made the Great Depression worse, which is revisionist history at its worst. The New Deal dampened the Great Depression, which was caused by Wall Street excesses. For further details, see my post here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/19118368-post10.html

JFK didn't 'rattles his saber and almost caused a nuke war.' The Soviets were placing nuclear missiles 90 miles off the U.S. border. I'd have a problem with that too.

Ask senior citizens if LBJ's Great Society programs, which included Medicare, have 'pretty much failed.' Medicare and Medicaid provide health insurance to seniors and the poor who had been locked out of the system. Child nutrition programs kept millions of poor children from hunger. Calling them a failure means you don't know what you're talking about.

Affirmative action is designed to redress prior discrimination. If you think it is unfair to make racial preference a factor in college entrance, then I'd say also get rid of legacy preference and donation preference. Give a million dollars to Harvard and they'll admit your kid, which means a more academically worthy kid will be rejected.

You also rail against the EPA, which is responsible for reducing air pollution by 96% since its inception. Before the EPA, LAke Erie used to catch fire from pollutants. They've done an admirable job.

You also said that "we have the highest poverty rate in our history." That's just factually incorrect.

I could go on debunking your laundry list of government gripes but everyone got the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies