Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We know the USA isn't the only society to practice slavery. However, none of that is pertinent to this discussion. Why? We are talking about THIS society, American society.
OK. We are talking about the history of slavery in America. That brings up all the pervasive imagery of plantations, cotton and black slaves. That same history, however, has white slaves in it, as well. The practice of indentured servitude. Indenturex servants were, often as not, treated the same as black slaves. Bug, history is just that. History.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:52 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
OK. We are talking about the history of slavery in America. That brings up all the pervasive imagery of plantations, cotton and black slaves. That same history, however, has white slaves in it, as well. The practice of indentured servitude. Indenturex servants were, often as not, treated the same as black slaves. Bug, history is just that. History.
Bug?

White people were put through indentured servitude, but after a certain amount of time, they were free. Black slaves stayed slaves for life and had no say in the matter. It wasn't a choice. Maybe my mentality is different, but this is just how I think. If I had a choice between being a slave and being dead, well, I would pick the latter. I think about New Hampshire's state motto "Live free or die".

Old 07-06-2013, 11:23 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
Quote:
What the float depicted had very little to do with being White, and alot more to do with putting racist stereotypes on display. Confederate flag, watermelons. What else would that be?

I can't speak for what was in that person mind, I do think people get way to worked up over perceived stereotypes. It would be a much better world if people would just ignore the ignorant.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A picture snapped by a parade-goer at a parade in Hope Mills NC shows a man on a tractor flying a confederate flag and pulling a wagon loaded with watermelons. A sign on the trailer read: “White History Month. Hug WTE PPL.â€

Town officials said when the farmer applied for the parade permit he would be hawling watermelons with a sign they are for sale at a nearby bank.

Controversy surrounds float in Hope Mills July 4 parade | abc11.com
For some weird reason, I highly doubt this is going to have a lot of whites celebrating white history month.

Whites just really aren't into that kind of thing. Just like you don't hear whites calling perfect strangers "brother" or "sister" or nodding to them like they've met them before. You can go your whole life and never hear a white person talk about helping or doing something for "my people", whites don't look at other whites and see "my people".

Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,920 times
Quote:
Bug?

White people were put through indentured servitude, but after a certain amount of time, they were free. Black slaves stayed slaves for life and had no say in the matter. It wasn't a choice. Maybe my mentality is different, but this is just how I think. If I had a choice between being a slave and being dead, well, I would pick the latter. I think about New Hampshire's state motto "Live free or die".
Over 300 thousand Whites were sent to the Americas as slaves, not indentured servants. Many were worked to death and some were also bred with African slaves. It's a part of history that many are ignorant of, but it happened nonetheless.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:27 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,460,718 times
who cares? I see nothing wrong it sort of seems like a joke too. pc bullcrap

Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Tell that to the Pharaohs, from Egypt. The Hebrews, were white Jews.
Dude, nobody in the middle east was white. You need to put down that European blond haired blue eyed Jesus and do a little exploration into the world of genetics.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:03 AM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Dude, nobody in the middle east was white. You need to put down that European blond haired blue eyed Jesus and do a little exploration into the world of genetics.
Nobodys actually white.... sometimes peachy or golden maybe redish or a little "pinky but not usually truly white. Consider this: The Tribe of Dan: Present Day Identifications a little explore for you. BTW do you think "white" people were created in Europe?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:33 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
But, but jeebus was white? NM that he never existed but don't let that get in the way of faktz. Not to mention Egyptian records show no records of plagues, the loss of a Pharaoh but the babble is supposed to be taken at face value.

But then again, Carlton Heston's 10 commandments flick was probably seen as a documentary.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
That is the beauty of the 4th of july...everybodys get to celebrate as they see fit. the farmer could of had a parade on his farm, but whats the fun in that...

maybe sitting on a tractor in the hot sun allows a man to think. Hours upon hours of speaking to no one but the pigs...I could see why he was needing to express his fustrations.

I'm ok if he needed to release some presure.

better driving in a parade, than shooting up a parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies