Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Actually, I have a law degree. And just because a law exists does not mean it's a good law.

Seeing the mobs of racist blacks take to the streets calling for mixed race Zimmerman's death makes me think Freedom of speech is a bad law too.

As much of a leftist as I am and even though his men killed my great uncle, at times like this, with mobs running wild and abusing their freedom of speech, I sometimes think this guy had a point:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:05 AM

632 posts, read 933,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
So, if someone is walking around the development you have never seen before after a rash of break-ins, and ask him what he's doing and that person attacks, that is murder? Even when defending yourself?

Compare that to Nicole Simpson. She was a beautiful woman killed by her husband and a mountain of evidence was against him but he got away with it. And the blacks? They celebrated.

Why does black racism get ignored? Not even when it's blacks against whites does it get ignored: I'm mixed and plenty of black people have made it plain that I should be killed for the crime of being a "mongrel", and that's okay in the eyes of society.

Honestly, as non-PC as it is for me to say, I have to: if you are that concerned with being treated badly for you race, by all means, GO BACK TO AFRICA! No racism, no "white system of oppression."
How about you call the police. And when the 911 operator tells you to stay in your car, you actually listen. Zimmerman did his civic duty by informing the police. Beyond that was vigilante.

Not all black people celebrated the OJ verdict. And why would I go "back to Africa?" I'm not from Africa. Why do you even assume I'm black?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
The Simpson case was a driving factor in raising awareness of domestic violence in this country--before that case it was treated pretty much as a family matter. If you don't remember the rallies and the push for more funding for domestic violence programs and better training for service providers and law enforcement, then you weren't paying attention, or you were a child.

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Seeing the mobs of racist blacks take to the streets calling for mixed race Zimmerman's death makes me think Freedom of speech is a bad law too.

As much of a leftist as I am and even though his men killed my great uncle, at times like this, with mobs running wild and abusing their freedom of speech, I sometimes think this guy had a point:
If you are a leftist, I'm the King of England.

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Tony Ortega Debunks William Dear - Business Insider

Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Massive rally for Trayvon...

Old 07-15-2013, 12:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Are you serious? The trial showed a divide of how races viewed America.

Blacks overwhelmingly approved of the not guilty verdict. Many of them literally publicly celebrated.

Whites overwhelmingly disapproved of the not guilty verdict.

Race and the O.J. Simpson Case - TIME
http://tv.nytimes.com/2005/10/04/art...fron.html?_r=0
Analysis - The Trial's Significance And Lasting Impact | The O.j. Verdict | FRONTLINE | PBS
The O.J. Simpson Verdict, Race and the Media : NPR
CNN - Races disagree on Simpson verdict - Oct. 6, 1995
The fact OJ was charged had nothing to do with race. Famous person does something wrong and Americans are on it (which is what I responded to).

The case itself, while not about race illustrated important racial realities in the US. At the time the thought was that we made improvements because a black man got off for killing a white woman. In reality a rich guy got off, business as usual. But we weren't considering the class implications at the time.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
I hope you don't actually believe that photo. LOL

The acquittal of George Zimmerman in Florida sent hundreds of people into the streets in San Francisco and Oakland on Sunday to decry what they called the persistent racism that allowed the neighborhood watch volunteer to beat a second-degree murder charge in the fatal shooting of unarmed African American teenager Trayvon Martin.

Rallies in S.F., Oakland over Zimmerman case - SFGate

Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Massive rally for Trayvon...
Oddly our local paper was calling that hundreds of people. Looks more like 10s of hundreds to me.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I hope you don't actually believe that photo. LOL

The acquittal of George Zimmerman in Florida sent hundreds of people into the streets in San Francisco and Oakland on Sunday to decry what they called the persistent racism that allowed the neighborhood watch volunteer to beat a second-degree murder charge in the fatal shooting of unarmed African American teenager Trayvon Martin.

Rallies in S.F., Oakland over Zimmerman case - SFGate
I don't believe the Chron. Another rally had a similar turnout and they called it hundreds as well. SFGate is notoriously biased.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies