Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:11 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Zimmerman's black heritage was too far back. The one drop rule applies if you"look black" or have one parent who identifies as black these days. Not quite 1/8. But I bet 1/4 counts.
Well that doesn't exactly mean "one drop" now does it

Quote:
FYI according to my dad Bruno Mars would count as black in his day. So I bet you count under the Bruno Mars provision. You look too ethnic to be white.
When did I ever say I looked white? I looked mixed and society treats me as such and blacks nor whites accept me.

Americans rank mixed race people ahead of blacks socially | theGrio

Quote:
Should I consider it racist that a black man accused me of "***** white *****" one day because I refused to give him change or do I just put him in the a-hole category.
Should I consider it racist if a white man calls me the N word, or just put in the the a-hole category? What's good for the goose...

Quote:
I imagine the people who called you a Dominican looking ****** were just a-holes who thought you were "uppity."
Uppity for committing the crime of walking down the street from the store and not bothering anybody?

On an autocorrecting iDevice.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 01:12 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

When did I ever say I looked white? I looked mixed and society treats me as such and blacks nor whites accept me.

Should I consider it racist if a white man calls me the N word, or just put in the the a-hole category? What's good for the goose...

Uppity for committing the crime of walking down the street from the store and not bothering anybody?

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Maybe they don't accept you for other reasons, don't assume it has anything to do with race

Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Maybe they don't accept you for other reasons, don't assume it has anything to do with race

Yep, my aunt calling me a "dirty mutt" had nothing to do with race. Good to know.

And maybe Zimmerman followed Martin for reasons other than race? Ever think of that?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:

[/quote]

Hey I'm black. I have been called all kinds of nonsense by black and white people. Was it racism? Well it depends. It could be any number of things. I had a white classmate call me uppity because my family was more affluent than his. I have had black people call me uppity because I have a valley girl accent. All because of the crime if being me and not what they expected of me as a black woman. That's on them.

I know some mixed people who identify as black. And others who identify as other. And others who just let people guess and never share their ethnic heritage. I have a friend who looks "mixed" but she's Arab. I really don't care how you identify.

I also think all people of "color" need to work together because we have a screwed up legacy in the US and lots of institutional racism. We are all impacted whether stereotyped as the model minority or black troublemakers. None of us are being perceived as individuals and judged by the content of our characters.

So if you think you are exempt because you look ambiguous, good luck with that.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Hey I'm black. I have been called all kinds of nonsense by black and white people. Was it racism? Well it depends. It could be any number of things. I had a white classmate call me uppity because my family was more affluent than his. I have had black people call me uppity because I have a valley girl accent. All because of the crime if being me and not what they expected of me as a black woman. That's on them.

I know some mixed people who identify as black. And others who identify as other. And others who just let people guess and never share their ethnic heritage. I have a friend who looks "mixed" but she's Arab. I really don't care how you identify.

I also think all people of "color" need to work together because we have a screwed up legacy in the US and lots of institutional racism. We are all impacted whether stereotyped as the model minority or black troublemakers. None of us are being perceived as individuals and judged by the content of our characters.

So if you think you are exempt because you look ambiguous, good luck with that.

So if white people are mean, stand up!...if black people treat you like trash? Just laugh it off

Yes, white racism is a factor. But so is black racism. Why ignore one but not the other?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Yep, my aunt calling me a "dirty mutt" had nothing to do with race. Good to know.

And maybe Zimmerman followed Martin for reasons other than race? Ever think of that?
If your family member is trashing you, the reason is probably something personal that has little to do with skin color, probably

Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If your family member is insulting you, its probably more personal and less to do with race or skin color.
So if one of my white family members did the same thing, what would you say then?

And is this not a clear case of racism against mixed people? If a white entertainer had said these things, what would your reaction be?

Kanye believe it?! Mixed-race girls branded 'mutts' / Music News // Drowned In Sound

Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
So if one of my white family members did the same thing, what would you say then?

And is this not a clear case of racism against mixed people? If a white entertainer had said these things, what would your reaction be?

Kanye believe it?! Mixed-race girls branded 'mutts' / Music News // Drowned In Sound
If someone you don't know insults you, then you know it has nothing to do with your character or personality, how could it, they don't know you.

If a family member or close friend rips on you, it's personal.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
So if white people are mean, stand up!...if black people treat you like trash? Just laugh it off

Yes, white racism is a factor. But so is black racism. Why ignore one but not the other?
I don't let anyone treat me like trash period.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:

Kanye proves that he clearly has a preference for "mutts" and has a baby mutt of his own.

It is all dumb. But I am actually more annoyed when Kanye says it, because as a "chocolate" woman it just confirms we have a ways to go on the colorism issue.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies