Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 06:50 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Those so-called "death panels" were never meant to deny treatment. The plan was to educate people about end of life issues.
Exactly.....but certain people don't want to let the facts get in the way of a good rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There's a third option, permit people to end their lives with dignity.
Assisted suicide is a valid response to terminal illness and dementia.
Heck, I have no problem with people ending their lives because they're tired of living.
It should be their choice.
As the baby boom marches into old age, they will demand the choice to die with dignity in response to terminal illness and dementia. Right now, 1/8 ( 13%) older Americans has Alzheimer's disease. This increases to 1/2 for those age 85 or older.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've been reading posts where people just want to kill everyone over 67.
Those with this sort of opinion will reevaluate it the closer they get to 67.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
27% of Medicare's annual $327 billion budget goes to care for patients in their final year of life.

The question is can we still afford this kind of expense, and is it right to be spending this much for a hopeless causes when there are more productive ways to spend this money that would be in the better interest of the country and the general welfare of the people.
How could the system be improved.
so do you think we should play God and decide when we cut off medicare when these people have paid into it for years? What about the preemie who is born and will either not survive or will need special care for years, should the insurance companies say we are going to cut them off?

Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
People need to learn to let go with dignity.

I know some doctors and besides quitting smoking and losing weight, the one thing they wish they could get their patients to do is to write up a 'living will'....especially the seriously ill/older ones. They say a lot of the "flogging" they do on elderly patients is due to the fact that the patient didn't have a living will and one member of the family is insisting on doing "everything" to save Nana, so the doctor has to do it.
A living will is totally different> Even with that, just keeping a person comfortable often cost thousands of dollars. Yes, some do want to do what they can for grandma, but the Op is talking about cutting off everything if a patient is terminal or that is what it sounds like he/she is saying. My husband and I do have living wills as most senior now do have> All this does is say do not do anything artificial to keep us alive. It doesn't refer to meds, to keep someone from suffering for instance.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The way to approach this is to limit health care to preventive/palliative care only after a certain age. I suggest but 67 could entertain 70-75 as well. Prior to that, one would get all the treatment they now get aimed at curing and prolonging life. But after the cutoff date, well then it is only preventative exams and pills and hospice. Aside from saving billions that could be better spent just about anywhere, it would encourage people to live healthier lifestyles when they were younger knowing that there would be no treatment for their problems after 67. A simple change like this would put Medicare in the black and allow the tax burden on younger workers to be reduced.

do you have both parents living?
if so how old are they?
my mother lived to be 92
amazing if you were in charge of her
she would haven had no chance to see that age
good grief
lets just starting starving them to death
that way you can save on food as well
remember
one day you are going to be this age
if you make it that long

Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
How does one determine which year is the last one?
Many 'old' and even elderly people have costly surgical corrections and then go on to live a normal, active and, with some,even productive life for many years after that.

too damned bad
that is what these folks want to do
elderly
who needs them
right??

Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It was not meant to be sarcastic. Frightening? Maybe, but it is reality. As in so many other areas, we are now wanting what we were not willing to pay for. The old people voted and lobbied against higher taxes during their lives in the amount needed to cover their medical expenses. They failed to save for their own care. It is illogical to borrow trillions to care for old people who have neglected their own needs and have no economic value anymore. It is immoral to saddle generations to come with staggering debts, lost opportunity, widespread poverty and a sharply reduced quality of life that will be the price for repaying those debts. As the saying goes: you made your bed, now lie in it.

amazing how cold some people are
just remember you will one day be elderly
maybe this ice running in your veins will freeze you to death
and you will be taken care of before you are starved to death by some of these lovely folks here who are so lightly taking about tossing aside folks who are unproductive to them
bet your parents and grand parents are proud
good grief

Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's only a small step from being okay with killing babies to being okay with killing old people.

yes and these "people" have reached it
but lets not stop with old folks
what about mentally ill
lets ditch them too
or what about the ugly??
or the fat
come on if you really try it might come down to millions you could oft??

Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
amazing how cold some people are
just remember you will one day be elderly
maybe this ice running in your veins will freeze you to death
and you will be taken care of before you are starved to death by some of these lovely folks here who are so lightly taking about tossing aside folks who are unproductive to them
bet your parents and grand parents are proud
good grief
I'm already approaching elderly. I realize that I am little but a financial burden on the younger generation. I understand that my medical costs will eventually greatly exceed the amount I contributed to Medicare while I worked (and I made and paid much more than most). It's tough, but there is no money to keep me going if I get seriously ill. Our generation chose war over social well-being, low taxes over fiscal responsibility, consumption over savings, and profit over caring. Time to pay the fiddler, I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies