Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Those with this sort of opinion will reevaluate it the closer they get to 67.
Ain't that the truth. I can remember thinking it was ok to die ~ anytime around 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 PM

32,095 posts, read 15,096,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What's your solution, death panels?
Why not let the patient decide which we don't. We keep them alive at all costs. Why? We treat our animals better.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Those so-called "death panels" were never meant to deny treatment. The plan was to educate people about end of life issues.
Which they decided was taboo.
Now they're calling for murder.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,302,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm already approaching elderly. I realize that I am little but a financial burden on the younger generation. I understand that my medical costs will eventually greatly exceed the amount I contributed to Medicare while I worked (and I made and paid much more than most). It's tough, but there is no money to keep me going if I get seriously ill. Our generation chose war over social well-being, low taxes over fiscal responsibility, consumption over savings, and profit over caring. Time to pay the fiddler, I'm afraid.
BS.
I did not choose that.

Then, perhaps, you should just end your life now.
If you're calling for it for others, lead the way.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,575,644 times
Medicare was originally intended for the care of the elderly by young workers putting a percentage of pay into the system to support the elders. Now we have Medicaid for the poor, which pays 100% of costs, and Medicare also including disabled, dialysis, kidney failure, renal failure, and mental disease.
It's top heavy and the dam is going to break.
Fewer young people are working, and if they are, the salaries aren't able to sustain all those taking out of this fund. Medicare also covers widows and children, in certain circumstances.

Young disabled people and the mentally ill, are ending up in nursing homes.

Quote:
The number of under-65 nursing home residents has risen about 22 percent in the past eight years to about 203,000, according to an analysis of statistics from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. That number has climbed as mental health facilities close and medical advances keep people alive after they've suffered traumatic injuries. Still, the overall percentage of nursing home residents 30 and younger is less than 1 percent.

Read more: More young people are winding up in nursing homes
We could put more emphasis on in-home-care, which costs about a 1/3rd that of a nursing home.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:21 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I don't see how that matters. What needs to be figured out is how much is a human life worth? In countries with UHC a human lives are worth the funds they collect in revenue and no more than that. If the state runs out of revenue you get a special card that says "thank you for your service to the country and we hope you have a nice day (if you make it that long)."
That's not true at all.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,489,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's not true at all.
Well I'm glad you went into such great detail...

Franz Knieps: There was no single lever we used for cost containment. Instead, we implemented a large number of minor measures to stabilize the health system’s income and expenditures. In the past 20 years, our overriding philosophy has been that the health system cannot spend more than its income.

The minor measures were implemented at every level of the health system. For example, each year we establish an overall budget for the system at the national level to serve as a guide for all participants in the system. Virtual budgets are also set up at the regional levels; these ensure that all participants in the system—including the health insurance funds and providers—know from the beginning of the year onward how much money can be spent.

In addition, we carefully control all types of spending. We contract with office-based doctors for their services, we use DRGs [diagnosis-related groups] to reimburse for hospital care, and we have specific regulations for drug expenditures. We have also introduced incentives that encourage everyone to avoid unnecessary expenditures.

How Germany is reining in health care costs: An interview with Franz Knieps | McKinsey & Company

Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,966,582 times
I referring to you claiming, "you get a special card that says thank you for your service to the country and we hope you have a nice day (if you make it that long)." That's not true.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:12 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,072,706 times
Dave...What you are pointing out is the arbitrariness of centralized, standards, (Whose?), based decision making. Nothing good ever comes out of that kind of decision making.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Would that also apply to younger people who have repeated drug incidents and have never contributed anything to society. just saying if we are going to pick people a drain on the nation. What about those who can't pay ;drop them from new ACA? How about if you can pay ;no care ;that would solve all medical cost problems for government.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,213,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm already approaching elderly. I realize that I am little but a financial burden on the younger generation. I understand that my medical costs will eventually greatly exceed the amount I contributed to Medicare while I worked (and I made and paid much more than most). It's tough, but there is no money to keep me going if I get seriously ill. Our generation chose war over social well-being, low taxes over fiscal responsibility, consumption over savings, and profit over caring. Time to pay the fiddler, I'm afraid.

oh horse crap
man you have really bought into the crap that you are unworthy if you are not contributing in the way they think you should!!!
guess what you are worth it, EVEN if it costs money!!
NO WE GOT ATTACKED AT PEAL HARBOR!!!
my mother was not a burden!! she was my mother and she lived to be 92
what a despicable thread this is
all these people wanting to stop caring for our own mothers, grand mothers!!!
what kind of madness is this!!!
you can blame our government for spending all the money paid in over the years from social security
it is our own government that needs to be held in account!! but what do most people do they vote in more and more corrupt people holding office
right now we have a president that has BLOWN TRILLIONS
and what is the answer these clowns have come up with here?? let the elderly die
who else can we kill to save a buck
may God have mercy if this is where people stand??
good lord, I am 62 I still work but I don't move as fast as I used too what happens when I can no longer do my job??
the waste in the administration is outrageous
remember Obama said he was going to take it " line by line" to end waste and fraud
hell he has done that alright he has ADDED to the waste not end it
and because you are knee deep in his slime
you think your life is worthless!! you should be mad as hell not full of self pity
get off your ass and fight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies