Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I thought it was in the last three months of life.

I can tell you, however, when faced with someone elderly, who has less than a 5% statistical chance of survival, nearly EVERY FAMILY MEMBER says, "Do everything you can for grandma!" You try to tell them that "grandma" is dead and that further intervention is hopeless, however (as they are not paying a dime) they want "everything" done.

I have often wondered in those situations if you agreed, but simply asked each family member to cough up $100 each to "balance" the several hundred thousand dollar bill (that will go unpaid) whether those same family members would say,"Grandma had a good life- it is time to let her go!"

horse crap when my mother needed care the cost at all was not on my mind and if I needed to pay I would have gladly done so
just because you put a price tag on your grandmother or mother
don't drag me in your sewer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,570,059 times
Keep in mind that it's not only the elderly that are diagnosed with less than a year to live, this includes babies, children and teens. Hospice care includes all ages. What I am finding in researching this for young people appears to come mostly from the UK. Don't know why that is.
My understanding of hospice is that it's primarily palliative, in-home care, by the family with support of Medicare and personnel.

So don't just blame the old folks, when it comes to end of life care.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Keep in mind that it's not only the elderly that are diagnosed with less than a year to live, this includes babies, children and teens. Hospice care includes all ages. What I am finding in researching this for young people appears to come mostly from the UK. Don't know why that is.
My understanding of hospice is that it's primarily palliative, in-home care, by the family with support of Medicare and personnel.

In numbers, dollars and volume, end of life care is almost all seniors. Especially as it comes to optional or debatable spending. Because with the young, in most cases all stops should be pulled.

Hospice is mostly all palliative, and can be at home, in the hospital, nursing home or dedicated hospice facility.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
In numbers, dollars and volume, end of life care is almost all seniors. Especially as it comes to optional or debatable spending. Because with the young, in most cases all stops should be pulled.
Hurray for another fan of limiting care based upon age. For your sake I hope you reach your expiration date before age 65 because at 66, I doubt you'd be as much a fan of rationing "optional or debatable spending" as you are now so I'd like you to be spared than conundrum. Isn't that nice of me?

Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I thought it was in the last three months of life.

I can tell you, however, when faced with someone elderly, who has less than a 5% statistical chance of survival, nearly EVERY FAMILY MEMBER says, "Do everything you can for grandma!" You try to tell them that "grandma" is dead and that further intervention is hopeless, however (as they are not paying a dime) they want "everything" done.

I have often wondered in those situations if you agreed, but simply asked each family member to cough up $100 each to "balance" the several hundred thousand dollar bill (that will go unpaid) whether those same family members would say,"Grandma had a good life- it is time to let her go!"
Not true. Many family members in my workplace have signed "Do not hospitalize" orders for their loved ones because they don't want them to suffer, and if they die they want it to be where they feel most at "home".

Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hurray for another fan of limiting care based upon age. For your sake I hope you reach your expiration date before age 65 because at 66, I doubt you'd be as much a fan of rationing "optional or debatable spending" as you are now so I'd like you to be spared than conundrum. Isn't that nice of me?
You misread this. With the elderly there commonly can be very debatable/alternative spending at end of life. With the young rarely.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:

We could put more emphasis on in-home-care, which costs about a 1/3rd that of a nursing home.
Whose home?

Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've been reading posts where people just want to kill everyone over 67.
If people are in their "final year of life" they are frequently terminally ill.
How would one determine what one's final year of life might be?
Exactly! You posted what I have said many times over. You only know it's the last year of life in retrospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've said many, many times that hanging on to a foregone conclusion is one of America's most costly and stupid policies.
See above response.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:

I agree with the below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post

Hospice is mostly all palliative, and can be at home, in the hospital, nursing home or dedicated hospice facility.
Agreed. The people under 65 are a small percentage of the terminally ill population. Aaaaand, hospice care is still expensive, even if no curative care is given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Whose home?
Usually the patient's or another relative's.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Aaaaand, hospice care is still expensive, even if no curative care is given.
At home hospice costs are quite reasonable here. We have a lot of donors and volunteers locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies