Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 07:24 PM

500 posts, read 376,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Stand your ground is supposed to be when you feel you LIFE is in danger, not your property. None of you guys did anything wrong as teens, never trespassed, never took a candy bar from a store? My best friend and I once got drunk and pulled a bunch of flowers from someone's garden. Rotten, yes, and it's probably the thing I feel worst about doing as a kid, but I don't think we would have deserved a death sentence, but now I feel it could happen that way, and a bunch of people on forums would say "Well, they shouldn't have been trespassing!" I don't think burglary deserves a death sentence, either. I think this is crazy, nothing to celebrate here. IMO a sad day for all Americans. It's like the wild, wild west, and I find it frightening.
Wrong.

The sad day for all Americans is when parents let kids run loose, without the slightest bit of discipline. That's what America has come to. Thank you, liberals.

U even think about stealing my stuff that I worked and paid for and u b dead!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Right, we go for walks together. It's very common in Chicago to browse the streets. So my child runs ahead on his scooter and stop when he see something he thinks is interesting, like spider webs, he stops and look. Sometimes they are at knee level right next to a window.
Anyways, I told him to knock it off. Even if the street is public property.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I grew up in Chicago, and I can testify to how common this is. The city is dense and as kids, we were always traipsing across other people's property. Me and all my childhood playmates would be dead if everyone thought like this guy.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What is wrong with these gun idiots? Why couldn't he have warned him and fired a shot in the air?

JC
lol. Do the world a favor and never, ever buy a gun.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:31 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That's right, nothing about Martin looking into houses, though you claimed he was.

Zimmerman reported Martin was looking about, looking at all the houses, walking around the area. When I walk down the sidewalk, one could say I'm looking at the houses, too; no big deal.

Looking into houses usually involves getting closer to the property to peer into it carefully and with express interest in the contents.

And Zimmerman didn't say Martin was doing that.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
My guess is this guy, like Zimmerman, will be acquitted. I tell you what is disturbing--the way some people keep throwing up cases like this, as if they somehow justify the verdict in the Martin case. They don't. They are completely unrelated cases.
I agree. What is going happen here ? Is every shooting in the USA going to decided by CD posters ?

Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Right, we go for walks together. It's very common in Chicago to browse the streets. So my child runs ahead on his scooter and stop when he see something he thinks is interesting, like spider webs, he stops and look. Sometimes they are at knee level right next to a window.
Anyways, I told him to knock it off. Even if the street is public property.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Well, you definitely don't want him to go on private property.

Yes the sidewalk is public property but that's just rude to look or appear to be looking in the window of another.

But he's 7 and of course he's going to scamper around and explore. If you keep him off private property and scoot him along verbally when he's near a window that's just about as good as you can do.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This has more to do with the Castle Doctrine than SYG.

Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shhhhhhhhush! You'll confuse the low IQs. They heard the term "SYG" and are suddenly experts. Never mind they don't have the vaguest idea what it means.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There was no threat to the homeowner's life nor risk of bodily harm. The kid hadn't even tried to break in.

You can't shoot someone to death for being in your back yard. That's not stand-your-ground, that's slaughter.
In another thread that was closed someone stated I was speaking "garble" because I stated I've personally seen people scatter at the sound of gun fire, that in some situations all you might need to do is fire a round into the ground.

The person incorrectly claimed you will in fact go to jail. As if that situation is guaranteed. But it can't be as I've personally fired shots off in the City of Milwaukee and never been arrested let alone gone to jail. Not to mention that it's a tradition here on the North Side of Milwaukee to fire your gun off in the air on New Years when the clock strikes 12 (I don't do that--you don't know where the round may land).

The person claimed you shot to stop and if the person dies that's their problem.

I have a moral and tactical problem with that in some cases. Like in cases such as this in New Orleans.

I really think if this guy had fired a round off into dirt the kid would have fled, likely never F'd with his property again due both to the barking dog and to the owner owning a gun that he will discharge. And I really doubt the owner would be in jail. Cops in the inner city are not going to be spending weeks looking for some person they're told possibly shot off a round. If you're not around when they do show up that it. You'll never see them again. If you're not a "criminal."

Or the homeowner could have walked out, aimed his gun, but not have fired. There's something else he could have done but he was to stupid to do it. Now he's in real trouble.

Personally, I don't want to kill anyone over them stealing my basketball, garden-hose, or looking into my car like they want to steal it. You break into my house and I feel threatened I'll blast you though.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:51 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,893 times
This god damn country is going to the dogs, dogs with guns.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Personally, I don't want to kill anyone over them stealing my basketball, garden-hose, or looking into my car like they want to steal it. You break into my house and I feel threatened I'll blast you though.
At 2am in the morning you assume the worst when someone is in your gated yard. Especially when you have a wife and kids in the home.

How was he to know the age, intent and whether he was armed in the middle of the night ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies