Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 06:49 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
But I tell you who I think is to blame for all this in the end. The boys parents. Their kid was already in trouble with the law, with a history of arrests for burglary. They should have known that if their son continues down that path he will either get killed or land in prison. They could have prevented this by being better parents.
Damn straight. Morally, they should stand trial as well. How do you let your 13 y/o have a history of burglary convictions? How do you let your 13 y/o go out carousing at 2am knowing he has a history of criminal behavior?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What is wrong with these gun idiots? Why couldn't he have warned him and fired a shot in the air?

JC
That would be because of idiot anti gunners who made it illegal to fire warning shots.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Damn straight. Morally, they should stand trial as well. How do you let your 13 y/o have a history of burglary convictions? How do you let your 13 y/o go out carousing at 2am knowing he has a history of criminal behavior?
To be fair, the mom has 7 other kids to take care of and the dad died a few years ago.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:54 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well looks like they charged him anyway.
Of course they did, SYG isn't a license to shoot anyone you want like the raving liberals keep saying. The person still has to be in a position where serious bodily harm or death may occur before they can shoot someone. Clearly a 14 year old outside the house is not posing an immediate threat, unlike a 17 year old on top of you pounding your head into the pavement, so in this completely different case the shooter is likely to go to jail.

What he should have done is called the police, turned on the outside lights and if/when the burglar broke into his house then shot him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not my concerned. If he's on my property, uninvited at 2AM he will be told to freeze. If he makes any sudden movement he will be shot dead.

You can invite him in for tea if you like.
If you can sell the story to the prosecutor that you felt in imminent danger you might not be charged, if not you'll have to try selling it to the judge or jury to avoid conviction. In this case "Police said that Coulter did not pose a threat to the homeowner" so chances are he's going to jail, even if the kid was a long time professional thief who was planning on breaking in and society is probably better off without him, it's still illegal to shoot in that scenario.

Landry told police that he approached the boy from his front yard, near his vehicle. As he grew closer, he said, the boy made a "move, as if to reach for something" -- possibly a weapon -- so Landry shot him, the warrant states.

NOPD Detective Nicholas Williams spoke with an unidentified witness who gave an account that differed from Landry's, though the detective did not specify how.

Apparently Landry wasn't as believable as the other witness.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:58 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 07-27-2013 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
If this 14 year-old child was at home at 2 am, like he should have been, this wouldn't have happened. Every life lost is a tragedy, but not every unnatural death is a crime, to include those of children. This child's actions were the primary impetus for his death, the homeowner played a lesser role. The dialogue we all need to start having is why are parents not properly supervising their children, especially ones who have already been in trouble. When are we going to start holding parents responsible for their irresponsible parenting?

Old 07-27-2013, 07:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
I'm out walking every day with my child and I have caught him getting a little bit too close to people's property. It really make me more nervous. He is really into spiders, loves them. Today I caught him closely inspecting a spider web right by somebody's basement window (apartment building). I had to tell him to stop. Maybe I'm being paranoid but what am I suppose to do?
My son is 7
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-27-2013, 07:02 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Apparently Landry wasn't as believable as the other witness.
Perhaps it is more a case of the police or prosecutors feeling they should err on the side of prosecuting him so they could avoid political scrutiny and national attention. I admit, that would go through my mind, were I them.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:03 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
I'm out walking every day with my child and I have caught him getting a little bit too close to people's property. It really make me more nervous. He is really into spiders, loves them. Today I caught him closely inspecting a spider web right by somebody's basement window (apartment building). I had to tell him to stop. Maybe I'm being paranoid but what am I suppose to do?

Is it your apartment complex? How old is your kid?

Old 07-27-2013, 07:04 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:

Just teach him not to scale fences at 2am after being arrested for burglary in the past AND most importantly, if he goes to the store to buy ingredients to make drugs tell him not to attack anyone on the way home because they might shoot him. Otherwise I'd say your 7 year old is fine looking at spiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies