Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
At least Obama spends his time at The White House, where he is available to meet with other government officals, etc.

Meanwhile Bush hid out on his private property 1500 miles away from Washington DC.

Bush was able to avoid dealing with the news media and any government officials wanting to meet with him.

Let's face it ... he was "on vacation".

His Crawford time was his to use any way he wanted. Nobody to bother him. He was on his own private property.

And he had no reason to work if he didn't feel like it.

He could fish at his personal 11 acre lake that he had built at Crawford, and stocked with more than 600 fish.

He could swim in the pool he had built there.

He could go mountain biking at his ranch, which was so big you could fit 10 Disneylands inside the property lines!

He could do all of these fun things while he was sending thousands of soldiers to fight in the wars he started!

So in total, Bush spent 490 days at Crawford, and another 487 at Camp David according to the below website:

Bush Spent 487 Days At Camp David, 490 Days At Texas Ranch During

Someone previously posted a list of around 15 foreign leaders that visited Crawford. Big deal!

So what did Bush do during the other 475 days?

You show one single photo of Bush conducting a meeting in Crawford, and according to you, that should fully explain Bush's entire 490 days at Crawford?
That was me that posted the list of world leaders Bush met with and the dates that he met with them.

You need "pictures"? There are plenty of pictures.
Bush, Prince Abdullah to discuss oil, terrorism- Middle East Online, July 4,2004
(visit #2)
(visit #1)
Quote:
Bush and his guest, meeting for the second time on Bush's Prairie Chapel estate, will also discuss the war on terrorism at a time when Riyadh has been cracking down on suspected Al-Qaeda extremists, US officials said.

The president and the crown prince, the kingdom's de facto ruler, will also talk about Bush's "efforts to promote democratic reform" in the Middle East, White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters this week.

Tony Blair at the Bush Prairie View Ranch - London Times

NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer at the Bush Prairie View Ranch 11/20/07

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin (First World Leader invited to the Ranch)

[b]German Chancellor to the Bush Ranch[b]

Angela Merkel of Germany and her husband

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) — President Bush has turned his remote ranch into a stage for down-home diplomacy, where a barbecue grill and a pickup truck have become his favorite tools for dealing with world leaders. President Bush, right, and Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon talk Middle East politics at Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas. March 2005

Colombia President Alvaro Uribe - August 4, 2005 (14th World Leader to visit the Ranch)

Bush & President Vicente Fox of Mexico at the Bush Prairie View Ranch - Dallas Morning News

President Bush and Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen of Denmark at press availability at The Bush Ranch in Crawford, Texas, Saturday, March 1, 2008

President Mubarak arrival at the Bush Prairie View Ranch

The President of China at the Bush Prairie View Ranch

Quote:
President George W. Bush leads a tour of Prairie Chapel Ranch with wildlife conversation leaders and sportsmen leaders, Thursday, April 8, 2004. Pictured with the President from left, are Jeffrey Crane, Director of Policy and Programs, Congressional Sportsmen Foundation, Bud Pidgeon, President, U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, and Michael Rogers, Safari Club International Senior writer. (UPI Photo/Eric Draper/White House)

Bush meeting with Secretary of Defense, Rumsfield at the Prairie View Ranch - August 2002

President George Bush, from left, at his ranch with Condoleezza Rice, Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney and Gen Richard Meyers in August 2003.

President George W. Bush, Laura Bush, and former President George H.W. Bush welcome Their Majesties King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain to the Bush Ranch in Crawford, Texas, Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2004.

George W. Bush walks with U.S. National Economic Council Director Steve Friedman, U.S. Commerce Secretary Don Evans, U.S. Treasury Secretary John F. Snow, Council on Economic Advancement Chairman Greg Mankiw and U.S. Labor Secretary Elaine Chao at Bush's ranch, Aug. 13, 2003 in Crawford, Texas. - Slate 2003

Down on the Ranch, President Wages War on the Underbrush

IMBA and Arrowhead working with President George Bush at his Crawford Ranch

Bush has been bringing the Wounded Warriors to his Ranch for years and makes an annual ride with them for charity

George and Laura Bush took extra time at the Ranch in 2008 - their Daughter was married there and Laura did all the planning without any "Event Co-ordinator". They spent a lot of extra time in Crawford planning the wedding. Anyone who has ever done that sort of thing will understand what it takes to plan and execute a major Wedding.

So ..... Sue 'em. The Bush family is pretty much a regular Texas family in many ways. He followed in the footsteps of LBJ by opening his Ranch (and personal home) to Foreign Dignitaries (and he did it every year). The US Media doesn't much understand that and probably most of the country doesn't either .... but this is pretty much the "Texas Way". It didn't play well in the USA - but world leaders loved the chance to visit in the personal home of the US President and his wife. (it was a personal and political coup to get an invitation.) It's even better (to them) that the "personal home" was a Ranch in Texas. Anyone who has ever traveled much will understand that there is an odd mystique about a "Texas Ranch" and a "Cowboy".

Again ...... I want to point out that these are two very different men with very different backgrounds. It does President Obama a grave dis-service to attempt to compare him with President Bush - it doesn't matter which (if either) of these men you like, or if you like either one of them. They came from different backgrounds and had very different support systems. Obama couldn't have possibly "vacationed" in his Chicago neighborhood - they shoot people a couple of blocks away from his house. The Bush family is "old style" with their hospitality, the Obama family is all about "getting away" - you won't find a Single Photo of any type of "meeting" with anyone in his "vacation" pictures -- while the Bush family is full of them. Different strokes for different folks. It makes the world go 'round.

I deliberately did not include all these pictures in my first post ...... it honestly did not occur to me that anyone would doubt what everyone should have known about. If anyone wants more pictures -- there are plenty out there. Point is ..... none of it is a "myth" of some sort. Some of the media reported it, most didn't and those that did (other than Foreign Press for the most part) had no hope of understanding the Diplomacy involved. How many Foreign Leaders ever get the chance to have unfettered access to "the most important Leader in the World" in their own home for many hours without a nagging Press hanging around all the time? That's priceless AND they knew it. "Vacation" means different things to different folks - for the Obama family, it Luxury and no access, total down time, which is fine. For the Bush family - it was mostly just another day on the job, but that suited them better than Luxury and the constant "rent" for a home you don't own and will never own.

The Leftist media said George Bush would sell his Prairie View Ranch as soon as he left the White House, they claimed it was "just a prop" ...... they were wrong. George and Laura Bush hold bi-monthly events for the Wounded Warriors so that all can have a chance to come to the Ranch and he continues to do Bike Rides through Canyons with them and Golf Tournaments (now that he is out of the White House and playing Golf again) on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
^^I don't think so! According to this, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/us/21crawford.html, Bush rarely shows his face in Crawford or at the ranch.

And as Mr. Bush has settled into a quiet retirement in Dallas, appearing rarely and seldom speaking about politics, so too has this town near which he spent his vacations in office.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
At least Obama spends his time at The White House, where he is available to meet with other government officals, etc.

Meanwhile Bush hid out on his private property 1500 miles away from Washington DC.

Bush was able to avoid dealing with the news media and any government officials wanting to meet with him.

Let's face it ... he was "on vacation".
Anyone who thinks Presidents go on vacation, especially when they go home, is an idiot..

Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^I don't think so! According to this, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/us/21crawford.html, Bush rarely shows his face in Crawford or at the ranch.

And as Mr. Bush has settled into a quiet retirement in Dallas, appearing rarely and seldom speaking about politics, so too has this town near which he spent his vacations in office.
So the photos are fake?

Old 08-14-2013, 07:34 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Anyone who thinks Presidents go on vacation, especially when they go home, is an idiot..
This needs repeating.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:35 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Tell me how much money each spent on their vacations. Tell me who did what while on vacation, who was with them. Seemed to me, Bush hung with allies and leaders of other countries. The Obama's live it up, on our dime.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Tell me how much money each spent on their vacations. Tell me who did what while on vacation, who was with them. Seemed to me, Bush hung with allies and leaders of other countries. The Obama's live it up, on our dime.
But but but.... but the ranch!!! 1500 acres!!!!! it's private!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
But but but.... but the ranch!!! 1500 acres!!!!! it's private!!!!!!!

I never had a problem with vacations, but when they take them and seem to spare no expense, on our dime, it annoys me. Especially when we the economy isnt where it should be. How can the Obama's preach against the rich and yada yada, all the while they have no issue with spending our money like its nothing? They are hypocrites.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm not talking semantics, I'm talking basic common sense. If GWB went to Crawford TX that doesn't automatically mean he was "on vacation". It's widely known that he had a fully functional compound there which kept him able to work, why would you and every other liberal out there assume that when he went to Crawford that he was on vacation?
Its called working from home. I have a office at home only at home! Doesnt mean i am on vacation every day! I would say any time any of those presidents went home they were working. Vacation is any days you spend away from washington or a home where you did no public appearence with press conference or met a leader. Now what does that number look like?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
So the photos are fake?
I guess they must be fake ..... and darn good ones at that. These photos fooled press in the Mid East, London, the Netherlands, Canada, Australia, Mexico and South America. Pretty darn good if you ask me.

Once again ..... nobody is doing any favors to the Obama family by continuing to compare them to any other previous Administration. That's a loosing game, no matter how you view it.

A "Blame Game" is always a Loosing Game .... AND ..... it shows incredible weakness. If gives power to the predecessor, especially with so much easily found documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies