Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The Condemnation of Blackness: Race, Crime, and the Making of Modern Urban America by Khalil Gibran Muhammad was published in 2010, and it has set out to expose the “glue that binds crime to race." In other words it looks at the logic by which many Americans, especially white Americans, are able to convince themselves that “whites commit crimes, but black males are criminals.” This is the last phrase that comes from Pulitzer Prize-winning historian David Levering Lewis, who after reading this book, feels that it should be a mandatory read for all Americans.

When I stumbled upon this quote, I wasn't surprised that anyone would make a statement like this because it seems to be another way for people to bash black men, without looking at the reasons these black men are commiting crimes that obviously lable them as crimminals. I haven't read this book, but from this quote alone can one resonably agree or disagree with this quote and back it up with facts?
Except it's not a real freaking quote, no one actually spoke those words, it's nothing but Lewis creating a straw man, and pinning that imaginary quote to it, and then getting all worked up about.

Lewis is like a man sitting at a table in a restaurant. He spies some people talking and laughing and thinking to himself "I'll bet they're talking about me. They're probably saying 'what a dumb hat that guy is wearing,'" and then working himself up into a lather over something no one ever said.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
OK...OK!!

[we believe you!!]
Let's call this what it is. Said person is judging the entire Black population based on the actions of some Black individuals. Acknowledging statistics isn't the problem. Taking those statistics and then saying "Black people are violent and dumb", well that has been done over and over. It hasn't brought any solutions. It is disingenuous to suggest that all Black people are violent and dumb. It is dishonest to say that all Black people are "no good" and "need to be avoided".

Each ethnicity is comprised of INDIVIDUALS, and this is something many people are not getting. For every Black person committing crimes, there are many more Blacks who aren't causing any problems. There is no reason for Blacks who behave decently to suffer for the guilty. Let the guilty pay for their crimes. If anyone disagrees with this, why? Why should the decent and law abiding Blacks suffer for the guilty?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Again, you don't know what you are talking about. What I said, if you read my posts, was that my youngest son came home crying and he did not want to go to school because this kid, who happened to be white was bullying him on the play ground because his big brother who befriended my older son was outed for lying on my older son about vandalism that was happening in my neighborhood. His big brother wanted revenge, and was using his little brother to pick on my son.

The incident became racial when we found out that the teen who accused my son of the vandalism didn't even address my son by his name. He said that it was the black kid who has been doing the vandalism. Since my two sons, at that time, were the only two black kids in the neighborhood, it didn't take a rocket scientist to know who this teen was talking about. Then, his own little brother was calling my son the N word as he was picking on him at school.

Again, what I found to be interesting is the fact that none of the teachers on duty saw this kid picking on my son or even investigated it after my son told those teachers on duty. NOW READ MY WORDS SLOWLY AND CLEARLY. When my wife called the school asked to speak to the principal, he was in meetings and didn't get back to my wife. My son didn't want to go to school because of this kid picking on him and calling him the N word. After my wife told my son to knock this boy out. which meant that if this boy hits you again, you hit him back, that was when the boy stopped. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? But the teacher investigated that when the boy told the teacher on duty that my son had hit him. HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM? So again, those are the facts and my son had a right to defend himself, like any parent would tell their child.

My posting this was not to cry racism, but it was to highlight a sad fact about being black in America. We can't fly under the radar like other people.
I think some people won't listen. Some people take self-defense as violent. I'm kind of speechless, but I'm not surprised either. One has to think about why someone would not want another person to be able to use self-defense.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:35 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think some people won't listen. Some people take self-defense as violent. I'm kind of speechless, but I'm not surprised either. One has to think about why someone would not want another person to be able to use self-defense.
Thanks for replying. You seem to get it as well as everyone I spoke to about this incident. But Futuremauian wants to address this as my wife and I acting like the stereotypical black parents, which wasn't the case at all. His rant over me being a teacher supporting violence was outrageous to say the least. I'm talking as a parent, who happens to be a teacher, to support my son who was being bullied and no one at my son's school seemed to investigate the matter until my son fought back.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

The Wire - Omar testifies against Bird - YouTube

Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Except it's not a real freaking quote, no one actually spoke those words, it's nothing but Lewis creating a straw man, and pinning that imaginary quote to it, and then getting all worked up about.

Lewis is like a man sitting at a table in a restaurant. He spies some people talking and laughing and thinking to himself "I'll bet they're talking about me. They're probably saying 'what a dumb hat that guy is wearing,'" and then working himself up into a lather over something no one ever said.
Thanks for the observation.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Let's call this what it is. Said person is judging the entire Black population based on the actions of some Black individuals. Acknowledging statistics isn't the problem. Taking those statistics and then saying "Black people are violent and dumb", well that has been done over and over. It hasn't brought any solutions. It is disingenuous to suggest that all Black people are violent and dumb. It is dishonest to say that all Black people are "no good" and "need to be avoided".

Each ethnicity is comprised of INDIVIDUALS, and this is something many people are not getting. For every Black person committing crimes, there are many more Blacks who aren't causing any problems. There is no reason for Blacks who behave decently to suffer for the guilty. Let the guilty pay for their crimes. If anyone disagrees with this, why? Why should the decent and law abiding Blacks suffer for the guilty?
I hear it all loud and clear!!

[broken records]

Old 10-01-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for replying. You seem to get it as well as everyone I spoke to about this incident. But Futuremauian wants to address this as my wife and I acting like the stereotypical black parents, which wasn't the case at all. His rant over me being a teacher supporting violence was outrageous to say the least. I'm talking as a parent, who happens to be a teacher, to support my son who was being bullied and no one at my son's school seemed to investigate the matter until my son fought back.
No problem. I understand where you're coming. I'm not a parent or a teacher. I am someone who got bullied. I've been called the "n" word. I've been in a few situations where nothing was done about the bullying. There have been some situations where it has been investigated. However, I understand what it is when a child gets bullied and the administration does little about it. I understand because I've been that child.

I've known White kids who will hit back if they ever got hit. I went to school with those kinds of kids. The policy was "someone hits you, tell the teacher". Most kids ignored this policy, girls ignored it too. Bullying wasn't addressed as much as it should have been, and then some people wonder why some kid hits back when he gets hit.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,973 times
another "whitey is the oppressor of the black man" thread.
so sad that a group of people are so brainwashed by the likes of the radical left and Al sharpton.

Quote:
The Condemnation of Blackness: Race, Crime, and the Making of Modern Urban America by Khalil Gibran Muhammad was published in 2010, and it has set out to expose the “glue that binds crime to race." In other words it looks at the logic by which many Americans, especially white Americans, are able to convince themselves that “whites commit crimes, but black males are criminals.” This is the last phrase that comes from Pulitzer Prize-winning historian David Levering Lewis, who after reading this book, feels that it should be a mandatory read for all Americans.

When I stumbled upon this quote, I wasn't surprised that anyone would make a statement like this because it seems to be another way for people to bash black men, without looking at the reasons these black men are commiting crimes that obviously lable them as crimminals. I haven't read this book, but from this quote alone can one resonably agree or disagree with this quote and back it up with facts?

Old 10-01-2013, 01:39 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
another "whitey is the oppressor of the black man" thread.
so sad that a group of people are so brainwashed by the likes of the radical left and Al sharpton.
I do not think that the "left" or Al Sharpton wrote the history of the USA in which whites oppressed blacks for over 3 centuries. If people are brainwashed.....its by truths.

Again....another....racism is without ramifications rebuttal.

PS

Using 70's vernacular does not substitute as a valid counter argument. Anytime someone use terms like "whitey" "The Man" or the like, they are trying to diminish the argument by using terms that they feel helps discredit an argument. It tries to make it appear that people are "stuck in the past" and cannot move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies