Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What I have always found interesting online is that it's the atheists who are constantly preaching their "gospel" of disbelief in forum after forum far more than others preach their "gospel" of belief. Now why is that? Seems very insecure to me.
Many threads, like this one, are started by people belittling atheists. Why is that? Seems very insecure to me

Old 08-17-2013, 09:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Actually, atheists are highly discriminated against.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Many threads, like this one, are started by people belittling atheists. Why is that? Seems very insecure to me
And many threads having little or nothing to do with belief to begin with are twisted by atheists so they can pontificate on what they believe is nothing. How strange is that?

Mention God, however benignly, and they will come!

Old 08-17-2013, 09:19 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
What I have always found interesting online is that it's the atheists who are constantly preaching their "gospel" of disbelief in forum after forum far more than others preach their "gospel" of belief. Now why is that? Seems very insecure to me.

Not insecure at all. And there is no gospel of disbelief. But when others post...in the name of god....that is addressed by those that don't believe. And they question it.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Actually, atheists are highly discriminated against.
So too are Christians, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists etc. Let's face it. Everyone seems to dislike everyone who is different than them to one degree or another. And people wonder why rebellions and wars occur. The human race still has a lot of evolution to go.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Not insecure at all. And there is no gospel of disbelief. But when others post...in the name of god....that is addressed by those that don't believe. And they question it.
Open your eyes. Online they don't question. They belittle and demean as if trying to win converts to no belief. Questioning, whether by believers or unbelievers, would be fine. Unfortunately, that's not really what happens.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:27 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
WTH is a gospel of disbelief? Another made up term by folks that cannot provide proof positive of a big guy in the sky unless it's all explained with feats of hocus pocus and fairy tales.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, nobody who has already chosen to go to church is forced to go to church but there sure are a lot of people out there who try to persuade others who have chosen not to go. As an example, I have had Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Hari Krishna's, corner preachers; all manner of religious zealots, with the exception of Jews of course, try to shove their religion down my throat via my doorstep, airport or street corner. Not forcing maybe, but certainly unwelcomed and annoying.

Regarding atheists being mentally ill, well recently in Washington State, a man literally blew up a dog because he believed the dog was possessed by the devil. Parents who believe in crazy cult religions don't allow medical treatment and the children die. Then we had Jim Jones and his Cool-Aide. How about the little skirmishes going on in the Middle East in the name of religion where people are killed, maimed and tortured because one faction of religion doesn't agree with another and women are treated worse than animals? The list goes on.

I realize there are many perfectly lovely sane religious people who neither bother others with proselytizing or bizarre behavior. But there are plenty of loony tunas as well. If these are the acts of "sane" people what is the definition of mentally ill I wonder? Because these are acts of people done in the name of religion. Looks pretty insane to me. If atheists were mentally ill I would see them behaving in this manner and I do not.
I hear all these claims from folks about every religion under the sun showing up non stop on theri doorstep trying to force them into their religion yet it has never ONCE occured to me nor have I ever seen any out wondering the neighborhood. I never said there weren't looney tuners. If they kooks weren't pushing a religion they would be pushing something else. Kooks are kooks. Better they off themselves and leave the rest alone IMO.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:32 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Open your eyes. Online they don't question. They belittle and demean as if trying to win converts to no belief. Questioning, whether by believers or unbelievers, would be fine. Unfortunately, that's not really what happens.
Do you know how many religious zealots have been at my door claiming I'm going to hell if I don't believe in god.....please. But I do believe in god because that was how I was raised. I just believe in evolution so its complicated lol

Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Here we go again...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies