Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Speaking of catchy tunes, and Christmas. . . I don't speak a word of spanish but I love the Christmas song Feliz Navidad. In fact heard it on the radio for the 1st time today. It always makes me happy inside when I hear it!

Merry Christmas and Feliz Navidad!
Wow, that's the worst perpetrator of the holiday song blitz, in my opinion. It's repetitive to begin with, and then they have to play it every other song.

Like I've said before, there are things I like about the holiday season, but I feel like I go into a trance sometimes with all the repetition.

Also, about sending 20,000 trees to a desert for the troops...I agree that it's a good idea to cheer them up, but that's such a waste. Maybe they should go home to be with their families for the holidays instead.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Wow, that's the worst perpetrator of the holiday song blitz, in my opinion. It's repetitive to begin with, and then they have to play it every other song.

Like I've said before, there are things I like about the holiday season, but I feel like I go into a trance sometimes with all the repetition.

Also, about sending 20,000 trees to a desert for the troops...I agree that it's a good idea to cheer them up, but that's such a waste. Maybe they should go home to be with their families for the holidays instead.
"Worst perpetrator of the holiday song blitz." Wow, I love Christmas music, and would never consider it as something offensive. . . I guess if one doesn't like it then change the channel?

I have a few Mannheim Steamroller tapes than I have to force myself to put away in March.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Another reason I get tense during the holiday season is gift giving. I'm a person who gives gifts year round. I don't like the idea of finding the perfect gift for a friend and then hoarding it in the closet to give to them on Christmas. I see something that reminds me of someone, I buy it (or make it) and give it to that person. Often, if it's unexpected, the gift brightens the person's day a bit more than if they had received it on a day when they also receive many other gifts.

I have no problem with giving gifts in general. Also, feeding the homeless and giving gifts to poor children is better if it's done year round. But, often, there is an expectation of gift giving at work and within families and friends. To me, to do all or most of the gift giving within a month adds financial, time and mental burdens on me, when all I really want to do is enjoy the company of important people in my life. Also, all the expectations of gift giving, to me, takes away from the joy of giving.

At work, we're doing a "festivus" gift exchange. I will enjoy doing it, but again, I'm expected to participate. I'm not obligated, but I will be looked down on if I don't. I don't think this is fair. About a month ago, I gave a gift to a coworker because it was something she needed. That's just how I am.

My point is, if some of the emphasis were taken off the Christian holiday, maybe people would expect less from each other and people could choose how to celebrate their own holidays how they wish to celebrate them. The fact is that Christmas dominates December, and some people who would rather live differently are still expected to participate. I just don't think that's fair.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:06 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
"

I have a few Mannheim Steamroller tapes than I have to force myself to put away in March.
I'm the same way with George Winston's "December."

Old 11-29-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
"Worst perpetrator of the holiday song blitz." Wow, I love Christmas music, and would never consider it as something offensive. . . I guess if one doesn't like it then change the channel?

That's the thing. Everyone is different. For some (me) hearing the same songs over and over is like scraping fingernails on the chalkboard. Others can't get enough. Personal tastes can't be argued.

And don't tell me the majority of people love hearing the same songs over and over, and so that's just how it's going to be. I've heard enough people complain about that very thing and who just put up with it like I do (making us more and more grinch-like) to know that's not the case.

Believe me, I don't listen to holiday music on the radio for that reason, but the thing is, unless I hole myself up in my house for 2 months, I can't escape it because it is everywhere.

If people want to listen to repetitive music ad nauseum, then maybe they could refrain from doing it 24-7 out of respect for those who don't. Maybe I'm jaded because I've worked in retail during the holiday season. Regardless, it drives me insane to hear it so much.

I knew a guy when I was younger who would listen to christmas music year round. I actually like the idea of hearing it in July more than December, because I wouldn't be hearing it all the time.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Judge Dlott decided "that Christmas can be observed as a federal holiday because non-Christians also mark the holiday by celebrating the arrival of Santa Claus. Since nonreligious people also observe the holiday, giving federal workers a day off for Christmas does not elevate one religion over another."
That is the stupidist argument I have ever heard, is the Judge like 10?
Hindus, Jews, Muslims celebrate the arrival of Santa Claus? Absolutely delusional.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
chielgirl would allow people to believe what they want without demanding that they adhere to something they don't believe. This is particularly true for those who are very clear about not wanting to be bothered.

I don't want anyone to follow me, I would graciously accept differences and debate them but not insist that people are wrong or lesser because they don't believe (or not) as I do. I would not make comments to purposely offend people who believe other than I do.

Unfortunately, that's not occurring on this thread.

What would be the response to a comment to christians of satan bless you or some other comment that I knew would offend you? I don't say that because it would offend you. Yet, some of the christians on this board choose to offend.

Pittnurse, if I know someone's religion, it's usually the christians, and most of them (the ones whose religious beliefs I do know) do behave in that manner. I'm sure there are many christians who do not foist their religion on others but the self-professed ones seem to enjoy the baiting and superiority. You're probably right about the "some christians" but they are the vocal ones that the entire belief system is judged on.
Now it's gone from "many" to "most"?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
That is the stupidist argument I have ever heard, is the Judge like 10?
Hindus, Jews, Muslims celebrate the arrival of Santa Claus? Absolutely delusional.
Psh, I just celebrate it as a another paid day off.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Psh, I just celebrate it as a another paid day off.
At least you get paid.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:21 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
At least you get paid.
Well before this job, I'd request to work Christmas and other mainstream holidays that way others who celebrated.. could hopefully be with their families. That was my "Christmas" spirit.

I see no problem with mainstreaming holidays like Christmas.. but I don't like the idea that I keep seeing.

People complain about hearing "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" but then complain about people like myself who only celebrate the holiday of Christmas for the materialistic value.

Either we all "celebrate" Christmas - with or without Christ. Or....... we just say Happy Holidays and forget about each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies