Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 11:29 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
If the potential crime was rape or murder then yes, stopping the crime from being successful means that it didn't happen. If a rapist grabs a woman with the intention of sexually assaulting her and she shoots and kills him with her concealed handgun she prevented a rape.
On the other hand if a woman allows the rape, she is morally superior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Social contract, well, I guess it is just a term for what has always existed in any functioning society. A give and take, without which society would collapse. You have that in the US as well, even if you don't call it that or are not even aware of it. The base for the social contract is conscience, sense of justice, morals, etc., and that is present in Americans as well, no matter how you keep stressing your individuality.

I find Europeans to be just as individualistic as Americans, maybe even more so, surprisingly. The social contract does not contradict strong individualism, it has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
On the other hand if a woman allows the rape, she is morally superior
Regarding rape, there is still the good old pepper spray

Old 09-03-2013, 11:33 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Which doesn't work nearly as well as 1800fps lead poisoning.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times
Pepper spray means this poor, underprivileged rapist will likely live to fight (rape) another day.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 AM

349 posts, read 422,997 times
Quote:
We simply honor human life more, even that of criminals, which is why we have abolished the death penalty, no matter how terrible the crimes committed... Europe is more NT, the US more AT
The life of a violent criminal should receive very little honor.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I hope you hands feel that way when it is your life/lives at stake.

I know the night mine were, I had one hell of a time pointing a shotgun with one hand on a hard wire phone and the other pointing at said bad guy.

Wasted or not, it's hard getting your head set straight to shoot. With each dose of Fear should come with a lot of salt, and a big cup of water.

I hope if and when there is any next time i will be better, waste less time and not feel as sick as i was the first time.

I know i won't call for any help... That was my first mistake.
I told the story earlier of the guy trying to get into my apartment. Looking back on it, I was unusually calm. I knew what I had to do if the door did not hold or if he attempted to get through the window. Same when my home alarm falsely goes off. Just like in sports, I've played out multiple scenarios in my head to the point that I know what I have to do.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
My wife carries a Kimber Pepperblaster 2 (two shots of pepper spray) when she doesn't carry her subcompact pistol. If you don't have time, the face shot is at the 8:40 mark in the video. Kimber Pepper Blaster 2 DBL Face Shot Review - YouTube

Old 09-03-2013, 12:31 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And, unsurprisingly, very little response from the gun-rights-hating liberals on C-D.
Only in a completely crazed nation like the USA could anything like this be true. In Canada we have a small % of the crime you have in the States and people carrying weapons are as rare as hen's teeth. Using the same methodology I can say with confidence it's the truth that, when almost no citizens are carrying guns the crime rate is a small fraction of what it is with a large % of the people walking around armed.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Only in a completely crazed nation like the USA could anything like this be true. In Canada we have a small % of the crime you have in the States and people carrying weapons are as rare as hen's teeth. Using the same methodology I can say with confidence it's the truth that, when almost no citizens are carrying guns the crime rate is a small fraction of what it is with a large % of the people walking around armed.
Given the long common border, how does Canada make sure weapons don't spill over on a grand scale? They can't check every trunk I suppose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies