Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Bipartisan, will authorize UN workers to go in and get the chemicals.

If they cant get in a specified time range, then go ahead with the bombing.

i would be fine with that. so would most of you guys i believe.
Waaayyy too sensible for the Tnuts to support.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Funny how the RWNJs are willing to jump on a Putin bandwagon over Obama, while completely ignoring the facts. Why is that I wonder?
The country is taking that position. His foreign affair numbers are falling fast. Not even the left is able to get behind him here.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:23 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
no, this is a new one with 10 senators behind it, bipartisan.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
wouldn't it be pertinent, to find out who in fact used these chemical weapons? Assad might have been set up by the rebels? And if in fact he is, by law, shouldn't he be arrested and tried as a war criminal?
It was Putin who said that we needed to step back and determine who is at fault before taking actions. I see no harm in doing that.

We can't even get those who killed our diplomats in Benghazi, how are we going to arrest Assad?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Without doubt, Syria would not have given up control of its weapons without threats made by Obama (and France). There simply can't be any argument about this point. But, there is also no doubt that Obama did not engineer this outcome. He simply blundered his way to his objective. Sorry Obama-haters, but like an ugly football game, at the end of the day, a win is a win.
Interesting that you bring up France. I think the two countries with the largest chemical weapon arsonals are U.S. and France, Syria was number 3.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, it's pretty clear Obama does not want to attack Syria.
That doesn't mean he WON'T though.
I really doubt the Russians would be making this proposal - or that Syria would be agreeing to it - unless they both thought the US would follow through with action.
If they honestly thought the US would not act there would be no reason for the Syrians to cave.

Ken
A couple weeks ago Obama might have followed through. The odds are very low now. This is why the government is always saying that we need to act now. No waiting. We can't debate things, the time is now.

Luckily it looks like they perhaps have missed the opportunity. The country has had the chance to say "no".

Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Bipartisan, will authorize UN workers to go in and get the chemicals.

If they cant get in a specified time range, then go ahead with the bombing.

i would be fine with that. so would most of you guys i believe.
This is good. It has some teeth to it. The built in timeline will be effective because I don't think anyone, most importantly Syria, thinks Obama is bluffing. Syria has demonstrated that they are willing to cooperate in order to avoid the consequences and this gives them that opportunity. The fact that it is bipartisan is a big plus. I see this as a win/win.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The country is taking that position. His foreign affair numbers are falling fast. Not even the left is able to get behind him here.
I was referring to the nuts that are saying this is a "Russian" plan even while the Russians are saying it is due to collaboration with the Obama Admin. Low info people generally have limited views.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We need to give some credit to Bush here as well. Had the US never carried out his "shock and awe" attack which destroyed Saddam's vaunted military in a matter of hours, the "teeth" in Obama's threats against Syria would not have been nearly as sharp. Assad saw what happened there. His allies in the region saw what happened to Iraq as well. None of them wanted that in Syria and they were forced to give up the sarin to avoid it.
I don't think what we did to Iraq and Libya is anything to be proud of or take credit for. It's a shame on this country. Threatening Syria with the same is not the path to peace. Russia has taken the lead in that effort.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
This "quelling of the situation" could not have happened without the initial threat of force.
The "threat of force" exists infinitely. That anyone would say that the "threat of force" was the underlying means of compromise with Syria is wholly and completely disingenuous. The threat of force was not brought forward by Obama....it has existed since the US became a superpower. It is implied, not compelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies