Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these two side-by-side McDonalds would you make a habit of patronizing?
The one with "normal" McDonalds prices and wages 81 56.64%
The one with prices $.50 to $1.00 more than "normal", and paid wages of $15.00/hour 62 43.36%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Are you sure it isn't the HFCS, pink slime, or the stuff they make yoga mats out of?
Yeah, those aren't pleasant either. We only eat McDonalds if it's all that's available. Like stuck on the interstate in the middle of nowhere. (They have easily accessible bathrooms.) I usually have a chocolate shake and eat a home-made power bar. Their shakes are quite tasty and I figure one here and there isn't going to do me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Which of these two identical, side-by-side McDonalds with equal quality food, service etc. would you make a habit of patronizing?

(a) The one with "normal" McDonalds prices and wages

(b) The one where each food item and drink cost $.50 to $1.00 more than "normal", and paid $15.00/hr?

You didn't think the wages that today's "strikers" are demanding, were going to come for free, did you?
Here's an even simpler version.

The McDonalds menu has a Happy Meal for $6 and the exact same meal for $7, which meal do you order for each of your three children?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Doubling the minimum wage is absolutely, positively going to reduce the number of jobs," says Scott DeFife, executive vice president of policy and government affairs at the National Restaurant Association.
For Restaurant Workers, A Struggle To Put Food On The Table : The Salt : NPR

And here's MediaMaters response:

REPORT: Fox's Month Of Inaccurate Minimum Wage Coverage | Research | Media Matters for America

The problem with MediaMatters and the liberal "economists" they choose for affirmation bias is they don't give a crap about fast food joints anyways. Left up to them they would all wither away. Those liberal "economists" don't give a crap about the people and businesses in that industry in the first place.

Quote:
"The fight for $15 is a fight against technology, not management — and that's a fight that these union-organized protestors can't win. Instead of securing a bigger paycheck, the less-experienced employees demanding a more than 100 percent pay increase will find their jobs replaced by less-costly alternatives," Michael Saltsman, research director at EPI, said in a statement.
The Fast-Food Restaurants That Require Few Human Workers : All Tech Considered : NPR

So, all things being equal, those people would lose their jobs. The liberal "economists" says "they shouldn't have those jobs anyways and at least the people left will be making better wages and the others will be forced to find something else."

No doubt the liberal "economists" simply mean those people can go to another industry and demand higher wages so they can be out on the street again "looking for something else."

Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I don`t know of anyone who is "demanding" the chef be paid more but if he was he would be able to pay taxes and not be called a moocher by some plastic looking billionaire and get this. He`ll be able to actually BUY something and perhaps create jobs for other people. Australia has a $16.88 minimum wage and an unemployment rate of 5.4%. Their cost of living is higher than ours but certainly not twice as high.
What's the UE rate in Australia for the younger less educated crowd? That would be 17%. Now you have an apples to apples comparison.

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliame...ry/pubs/MSB/15

Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
The strike will result in nothing being accomplished.

Franchise owners will simply fire those that are unproductive and trouble makers and hire the many that are in line waiting to be hired just like what happens each and every day at the typical fast food restaurant.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
A single mother with five kids working at McDonalds isn't my concern or McDonalds. Why should everyone have to suffer because of her poor life choices? A fast food job is not meant to raise a family on. However, she could make an effort to be more polished and professional looking and acting, and then get a job as a waiter in a fine dining restaurant and make a lot more money there.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
A single mother with five kids working at McDonalds isn't my concern or McDonalds. Why should everyone have to suffer because of her poor life choices? A fast food job is not meant to raise a family on. However, she could make an effort to be more polished and professional looking and acting, and then get a job as a waiter in a fine dining restaurant and make a lot more money there.
Or not have kids and learn to live within means.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM

688 posts, read 652,392 times
I voted for higher price/higher wage McDonalds. This extra dollar or two makes no difference to me, but would greatly improve the workers' living standards.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
I voted for higher price/higher wage McDonalds. This extra dollar or two makes no difference to me, but would greatly improve the workers' living standards.
Until the artificially inflated wages raise the cost of everything relative and we're all back to where we started.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:27 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
No, it wouldn't. It would lower everyone else's.

Do you think that there's a magic money tree that employers can just pick from or something? Many businesses - especially the very large ones - work on very thin margins. If you think you can raise the minimum wage any non-insignificant amount without a dramatic corresponding increase in the price of goods and services in every business and industry, you're a fool. Doubling it? The economy would inflate so fast it would make your head spin.

I really don't understand why it's so freaking difficult for people to understand such a basic concept. Are you all just so caught up in the hype that you've had to turn off your brains in order to manage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies