Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these two side-by-side McDonalds would you make a habit of patronizing?
The one with "normal" McDonalds prices and wages 81 56.64%
The one with prices $.50 to $1.00 more than "normal", and paid wages of $15.00/hour 62 43.36%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:22 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
And chump change is what businesses are making now.

Why do you suppose that this push for insane minimum wage rates is happening now? The economy is barely keeping afloat. I can understand a call for an increase when the economy is booming, but now? Do you guys want the economy to completely fail, or what?

This latest attack on business was born out of the ashes of the Occupy movement. That effort was an utter and complete failure, and the organizers are just trying to figure out some way to keep some semblance of relevance. This, too, will fail. The only reason I bother to comment in these threads is because it's so very frustrating to see people that seem to generally not be complete dumbasses latching on to this "thing," and allowing themselves to be swept away by it.

I swear that these people are just shutting off their brains and letting other people do their thinking for them. That HAS to be the case, because anybody that applies even the tiniest amount of logic to this concept of a jump from ~$7 to $15 per hour would understand very quickly just how bad an idea it is.
What businesses are making chump change? I see plenty of businesses doing fine where I live. Do you not understand that The economy is barely afloat because 1. many people are unemployed 2. Business owners and CEO's are keeping more of the money instead of spreading it out to employees who then go out and spend it on businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Considering that most McDonalds workers are kids still living with their parents, still insured under their parents' insurance and all that, I think minimum wage is fine.

Kids have the most surplus money for X-Box games, concert tickets and so-on.
I didn`t realize that someone has made a study of where McDonald`s employees live. Surely you didn`t hear this on talk radio. Or maybe you did.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:59 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I didn`t realize that someone has made a study of where McDonald`s employees live. Surely you didn`t hear this on talk radio. Or maybe you did.
Lol...true.

See no Evil. Hear no Evil.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:03 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
All things being equal, I wish to save money, to spend elsewhere, like on my kids or grandchild.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Difference between the two? Second one you have a choice to pay at McDonald's Or go somewhere else. When you don't pay people fair wages you pay for it ANYWAY when you subsidize their income in taxes with welfare, food stamps, and other programs. So you still LOSE
Like you won't be subsidizing their income when they're fired because they were barely worth minimum wage much less twice that amount. Ultimately you'll have McDonald's with half the employees it had before scrambling to try and get you a meal by having to work two or three stations at a time. Quality and customer service will suffer (if that's even possible when referring to McDonald's) and many of the chains will go under where the cost of living wasn't already close to the $15/hr.

Maybe that will finally prompt liberals to learn what cost of living is and it will finally open their tiny little brains up to what we in the real world call reality.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Which of these two identical, side-by-side McDonalds with equal quality food, service etc. would you make a habit of patronizing?

(a) The one with "normal" McDonalds prices and wages

(b) The one where each food item and drink cost $.50 to $1.00 more than "normal", and paid $15.00/hr?

You didn't think the wages that today's "strikers" are demanding, were going to come for free, did you?
Personally, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra so workers could get benefits. I realize that in areas with a high cost of living, $15.00/hour is still a low wage. But what happens to the wages of people who have already earned promotions to $15.00/hour? Are their wages now going up? Why only fast food workers? I know people who work in small businesses who make less than $15.00 for much higher skilled work than fast food workers. Their bosses can't afford to pay $15.00/hour as a starting salary, so less people will get hired. Come to think of it, most fast food restaurants ARE small businesses (franchises), so the multi-billion dollars in profits you hear about for McDonald's isn't the average restaurant, but the Corporation. At what point do you demand so much that less workers get hired, or the company feels it's better to automate certain positions?

Old 08-31-2013, 08:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Minimum wage really is not a terrible wage for high school kids or kids working their way through college. There should be jobs for kids so they can learn some work habits but they don't need to start out making $15 an hour.

Next they'll insist that the kid babysitting a couple hours after school or mowing a neighbor's lawn on the weekend be paid $20 an hour.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:55 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Like you won't be subsidizing their income when they're fired because they were barely worth minimum wage much less twice that amount. Ultimately you'll have McDonald's with half the employees it had before scrambling to try and get you a meal by having to work two or three stations at a time. Quality and customer service will suffer (if that's even possible when referring to McDonald's) and many of the chains will go under where the cost of living wasn't already close to the $15/hr.

Maybe that will finally prompt liberals to learn what cost of living is and it will finally open their tiny little brains up to what we in the real world call reality.
what you have said has made no sense and we are all dumber for having to read it. good day sir

Old 09-01-2013, 05:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
what you have said has made no sense and we are all dumber for having to read it. good day sir
I didn't think single celled amoebas could get any dumber. You should contact "Nature" with your breakthrough. I'm sure the science community would rejoice!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I wouldn't mind paying a small premium cost for that.

I just truly doubt that paying fast food workers 15 bucks an hour is only gonna cost a very small amount extra..... I just don't think the math adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies