Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these two side-by-side McDonalds would you make a habit of patronizing?
The one with "normal" McDonalds prices and wages 81 56.64%
The one with prices $.50 to $1.00 more than "normal", and paid wages of $15.00/hour 62 43.36%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 05:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra so workers could get benefits. I realize that in areas with a high cost of living, $15.00/hour is still a low wage. But what happens to the wages of people who have already earned promotions to $15.00/hour? Are their wages now going up? Why only fast food workers? I know people who work in small businesses who make less than $15.00 for much higher skilled work than fast food workers. Their bosses can't afford to pay $15.00/hour as a starting salary, so less people will get hired. Come to think of it, most fast food restaurants ARE small businesses (franchises), so the multi-billion dollars in profits you hear about for McDonald's isn't the average restaurant, but the Corporation. At what point do you demand so much that less workers get hired, or the company feels it's better to automate certain positions?
first of all, people working at fast food places are about at the bottom of the work force, they are either kids, entering the work force, moms and dads wanting a few extra $$s, maybe to pay bills or have ne desire to better themselves; $15 an hour is over the top. Of course this means raising everyone's salary.

People also do not realize, it isn't corporate that can or can not pay more, it is the owner of the franchise. He or she is working on a very small profit margin. We start paying double what they employees are making now and many stores will either go under or will lay off a % of their workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 06:35 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
first of all, people working at fast food places are about at the bottom of the work force, they are either kids, entering the work force, moms and dads wanting a few extra $$s, maybe to pay bills or have ne desire to better themselves; $15 an hour is over the top. Of course this means raising everyone's salary.

People also do not realize, it isn't corporate that can or can not pay more, it is the owner of the franchise. He or she is working on a very small profit margin. We start paying double what they employees are making now and many stores will either go under or will lay off a % of their workers.
15 dollars an hour would mean big price increases, and their already crappy food is over priced. The public would never go for it.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
I would never pay more for the same exact product, but then I don't eat at McDonalds. If I am going to pay $7.00 for a burger I am going to a real restaurant.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I would never pay more for the same exact product, but then I don't eat at McDonalds. If I am going to pay $7.00 for a burger I am going to a real restaurant.
Yeah, but those workers really want to double their pay. They don't care what you want.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Total load of crap have you been to a fast food chain recently. Plenty of adults are working there. How do you know that the owner is working on a small profit margin?

Old 09-02-2013, 12:57 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
The employees of my local McDonalds are usually students, single moms, drug addicts/ex cons or retards/people with low IQ. Fast food work was never designed to be a affluent career unless you own one.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 AM

15,061 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Which of these two identical, side-by-side McDonalds with equal quality food, service etc. would you make a habit of patronizing?

(a) The one with "normal" McDonalds prices and wages

(b) The one where each food item and drink cost $.50 to $1.00 more than "normal", and paid $15.00/hr?

You didn't think the wages that today's "strikers" are demanding, were going to come for free, did you?
I wouldn't eat that artificial crap if it were free. When you can take a McDonalds hamburger, place it on a shelf, and come back 5 years later, and it looks exactly the same as when you bought it ... it's not food.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Total load of crap have you been to a fast food chain recently. Plenty of adults are working there. How do you know that the owner is working on a small profit margin?
Why?

Traditionally, these jobs have been for kids still living with their parents. There should be jobs for kids so they can learn a work ethic early and have some spending money. They don't have to make $15 an hour though.

Wasn't Obama going to create 5 million good jobs for the adults? The only adults I see working at McDonalds can't speak English.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011;31232804[B
]Yeah, but those workers really want to double their pay. [/b]They don't care what you want.
Then they are going to have to acquire double their job skill set. Go to a culinary school and get a degree if they want more money. Flipping burgers, working a fryolator and being a cashier just isn't worth $15 an hour to any employer.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
I don't eat at McDonalds, but if I'm aware of it, I'll always patronize a union shop over a competitor where the labor is not unionized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies