Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
You got what you wanted. The homosexual militant haters must be ecstatic. Somebody dared disagree with the homosexual and the homosexual was able to shut down a business and negatively impact this family’s ability to put food on the table. Good job losers!
And gee, all they wanted was for government to legally recognize them.
And Oregon doesn't recognize same sex marriages.
They got married in MA.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
When was the last store you have been in shopping for pants or something and the owner felt the need to preach to you about his god and what he does and doesn't support?
I'm sure there was a time when someone did just that if a woman asked to buy pants for herself. They don't anymore because they would lose too much business and it is now just the norm. Matter of fact, everyone would just assume the guy had lost it and could use a visit to a good therapist. No one legislated that they had to sell pants to women, that just eventually became the norm though the changing of our culture. You can't legislate acceptance.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm sure there was a time when someone did just that if a woman asked to buy pants for herself. They don't anymore because they would lose too much business and it is now just the norm. Matter of fact, everyone would just assume the guy had lost it and could use a visit to a good therapist. No one legislated that they had to sell pants to women, that just eventually became an acceptable norm. You can't legislate acceptance.
Kind of along the lines of: The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp;
That's a generalization that isn't even true. What might be perfect for one might be unacceptable for others.

"Perfect information" refers to consumers having ALL the facts about a business and its practices. It doesn't mean that the information is perfect to someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
It would have made no difference if they simply said they disliked the homosexual lifestyle and gave no reason. There are those who dislike Muslims over the actions of some which has nothing to do with religion but rather a stereotype.

But the story is what it is because of the "religious" aspect. Otherwise, it's just another run-of-the-mill discrimination case.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Hey, I'm not forcing you to do what I want, but if you don't do it, I'll destroy your livelihood. But technically, I'm not forcing you.

Just brilliant.
Yes, it's just terrible that right-wing bigots aren't allowed to ignore the law. Poor them. Boo hoo.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, we are not discussing whether it's a good idea. It matters none how many times it has happened to me but as I've noted earlier I have experienced someone not wanting to associate with me because of my "lifestyle".

I am not arguing it's a good idea. I am arguing that the "solution" here doesn't do anything about the problem.
Your solution is a bad business model, but it doesn't break the law. If a business wishes to not want people to advertise them or goes out of their way to tell someone they don't approve of their "lifestyle" then that business will probably be buying some new going out of business signs when people begin writing negative reviews.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Absolutely! You can not legislate acceptance only compliance. You you try to legislate it, it creates resentment. Funny how people are okay with this crap when it supports their personal beliefs but they will be upset when they are on the other side.
Funny how you don't see discrimination creates resentment.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Perfect information" refers to consumers having ALL the facts about a business and its practices. It doesn't mean that the information is perfect to someone.
There is no such thing. It's a concept that isn't based in anything. Even then even in theory it solves nothing. One person may hate that business A buys their items from China produced from slave labor but the next person loves the low prices.

There is no legitimate concept that a business must post all of their practices for people to see or that you ever actually going to know in the vast majority of cases.

Quote:
But the story is what it is because of the "religious" aspect. Otherwise, it's just another run-of-the-mill discrimination case.
So it's O.K. to discriminate for reasons other than religious convictions? If you are discriminated against, it's worse because you disagree more with the reason you were discriminated against?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I understand that. It obviously does not fix the problem.

It is certainly not comparable 100% but people complain about someone like the Jehovah Witnesses knocking on their doors. I understand that there are times people don't want bothered but I made a friend by being willing to open my door to someone that I have a philosophical difference with.

It got to where I enjoyed when he would knock on the door. He would ask me about work and my family and I learned that his brother played football for the St Louis Cardinals in the 60's.

My wife asked me why I encouraged him? I didn't encourage him as I told him more than once that I wouldn't be attending his church but despite our differences he was a nice guy. He felt compelled to give me a Watchtower after every visit but eh, so what.

Maybe if the couple went in every couple weeks and bought some cookies and showed that their marriage is not causing the world to end the guy might realize that he was mistaken in his beliefs.
Being a Jahovah Witness isn't the same thing as baking cakes. This bakery made wedding cakes, not religious philosophy cakes.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
I didn't ask that.

Nor did I ask your personal experience. Many do ask where the cake came from but that's not the question. To make it easier for you.

"I will make your cake but I have to tell you, I do not agree with your lifestyle"

What have we solved?
Maybe the couple would have said thanks, but no thanks, and went elsewhere.

That isn't what the baker did, though. Maybe the baker should have tried that approach, then he wouldn't be investigated for breaking the state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies