Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You are alive, correct?

Open your eyes and look at the world around you.

It is the height of ignorance to deny that it was designed.

Take a biology class.
It's the height of ignorance to claim that the world is only 5,000 to 15,000 years old. Yet you did.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28714508-post20.html

Old 09-21-2013, 09:08 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
It's the height of ignorance to claim that the world is only 5,000 to 15,000 years old. Yet you did.

Wow. That's...pretty unhinged.

Whether or not a god or gods actually exist, there is no reason to claim The Bible, for all its worth, wisdom and beauty, is a completely accurate and valid book of history.

That's plain nonsense.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I can't recall the last time an atheist told me I would spend eternity in infinite torment unless I converted to atheism.

Can any of you?
Exactly, I as an atheist have never tried to convert a christian, yet I can count on all m fingers and toes how many time a christian going door to door has called me a sinner and that I will go to hell if I do not profess belief in a god, specifically their god. I tell them that since I do not believe in a god or gods, that I also do not believe in satan or hell or heaven, nor Santa, the tooth fairy or the easter bunny.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Even Dawkins has admitted that the mathematical probability of this all coming about on the earth as perfectly as it has by chance, is basically impossible.
No, he didn't. Please provide evidence for your assertion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Math, statistics and probability are on the side of a designer. However, since this is considered religion I don't discuss it much and would never try and force someone to believe it. I say let them research it themselves.
No, it's not. Please provide evidence for your assertion.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, but they'll compare Christians to a group of people so vile that they stoned people to death as halftime entertainment at soccer games, and threw acid in girls faces for going to school, and hanged a seven-year old boy in the town square as a warning not to "spy". Why? Because Christians think aborting a fetus is tantamount to murder, or because they feel that marriage should be between a man and a woman (as it has been for thousands of years). It's not like they're stoning them to death during football games, which is what would have happened in Afghanistan prior to 2001.

I'm an agnostic, living in the Bible Belt, and I never have people telling me I'm going to hell for not believing in God.
Marriage between a man and a woman has not been the only marriage for thousands of years, many cultures endorsed and encouraged same sex unions, it is just ignored and the agenda of the church is to instill this false idea that marriage has always only been between opposite sex couples. Christians should just mind their own business when it comes to those who are not christians. They do not rule this country, nor do they rule the world.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, not really. Pretty much EVERY dictionary lists "hatred/aversion" as synonyms for "phobia" - so I would say it has multiple meanings, and thus is not being used incorrectly.

pho·bi·a
noun
a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.

Synonyms
aversion, hatred.

-phobia
a combining form meaning “fear,” occurring in loanwords from Greek ( hydrophobia ); on this model, used in the names of mental disorders that have the general sense “dread of, aversion toward” that specified by the initial element: agoraphobia.
So when people hate things like war and riots it means they have phobias to war and riots? Phobia is a medical term anyway that needs therapy to get over. I don't want to get over a hatred of war and riots.

The main word here is irrational. That makes a phobia. Just hating or having an aversion does not make a phobia.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

Lol! I guess all the fossils were put there by Satan, to befuddle us and test our faith.

However, I will give credit where credit is due. Christianity has its uses. Without it, we wouldn't have all those edge-of-your seat horror movies, with the Forces of Good fighting the Forces of Evil, and the undead can be vanquished with a crucifix. I like those.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:37 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
People are pushing SSM and abortions on christians?

Really?

Someone pushed you into marrying someone of the same sex, or have an abortion?
No, no one is forcing Christians to get an abortion but they do want to force Christians to go against their conscience and pay for them. Look up the HHS Mandate. That isn't live and let live at all.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Marriage between a man and a woman has not been the only marriage for thousands of years, many cultures endorsed and encouraged same sex unions, it is just ignored and the agenda of the church is to instill this false idea that marriage has always only been between opposite sex couples. Christians should just mind their own business when it comes to those who are not christians. They do not rule this country, nor do they rule the world.
What cultures endorsed and encouraged same sex unions? I know the Ancient Greeks seemed to like young boys, but certainly didn't endorse same sex marriage. Were homosexuals ever accorded the freedoms they have today? I very much doubt it.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,217,639 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies