Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 08:06 AM

308 posts, read 501,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
In Italy she was not discriminated against because she was "mixed." She was discriminated against because her mixed origins made her stand out as "black," other, inferior in Italy. I just found it hilarious that instead of instinctively understanding this, she was so hung up in running away from that fact and quibbling over nomenclature.
But therefore one could argue that her being inherently mixed or perhaps their knowledge of her being from the Dominican Republic colored their perceptions of how they treated or viewed her.

Well each Dominican is different. I heard that in the Netherlands the controversial and complex issue of race and skin color among Dominicans is a very big issue as well. I think Dominicans have this reputation of being self hating or anti black worldwide but I think Dominicanos get a very bad wrap. People seem to misunderstand their culture and history. It's much more complex than just a black vs white thing. Next most Afrodiasporic populations worldwide have their issues, so to single out only Dominicans and SPECIFICALLY Dominicans, alone is unfair.

I could site several other examples of Afrodiasporic self hate such as the skin bleaching epidemic in places like Jamaica.

And also the issue with Haitians is more culture based and XENOPHOBIA which is not the same thing as racism or anti blackness.

In fact most Caribbean islands don't appreciate poor classless illegal Haitian immigrations to their islands, when they have to take care of their people first. IJS.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Right, but that underscores that Fox does have Spanish ancestry.
But the point was to show the origins and derivations of Vicente Fox's surname and paternal lineage origins.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,733,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I live with 4 of them...aside from my extended family, I know hundreds...NY/NJ was the main portal for migrating Dominicans. I grew up with them, along with Puerto Ricans who also make the same Taino claims that Dominicans make.

All the black Dominicans I know, know full well, that they are 'black'...

Why would any Dominican claim they are "African"?? Their "motherland" is Quisqueya...where their culture was born! The indigenous people of that land were Tainos! Shoot, HAITIANS don't even claim to be African....they call themselves West Indian!
All true. But they should not deny their African roots.

I call myself African, but I'm just a confused domestic/Cuban/Haitian brotha.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Eva has deep Spanish roots but she is also Native American as well. Tex-Mex mestiza.
Right that is what I said or rather was trying to illustrate in my post. But in addition to take it a step further, Eva Longoria has notable black African ancestry as well. I believe she had over 10% African on her genetic DNA test. By U.S. American one droppist logic she could be considered black. It's interesting how fellow people of the same colonial context of French and Spanish Creole ethnic populations are one dropped as black etc.

Also there was no border delineation of clear definition between Spanish Tejas (Texas) and Louisiana etc so many share the same ancestors and traditions. Just wondering.

It's interesting how identities are sociopolitically constructed and perceived. Hmm

Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Eva has deep Spanish roots but she is also Native American as well. Tex-Mex mestiza.
She is over 70% European in ancestry. I think her ancestry includes Sephardic Jewish as well that settled in colonial times.

Although I wonder if the DNA tests included her male contributed lineage since females are XX. So females can only track the female DNA.

Males have XY so they get all of their coded DNA information on all maternal and paternal sides.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; a person is Hispanic or NOT Hispanic. Hispanic is NOT a race so a person can't be "part" Hispanic. Sheesh!
Come on, you get what he means. They use the term part Hispanic to refer to a relative or ascending ancestor that they descend from who qualifies as such.

Most people use Hispanic and Latino as racial terms.

People also use the term "Spanish" which I think is just awfully dreadful. But hey ppl do what they want.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,733,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
But therefore one could argue that her being inherently mixed or perhaps their knowledge of her being from the Dominican Republic colored their perceptions of how they treated or viewed her.
Not sure what you mean exactly, but this is an interesting point. That Italians saw her as foreign is obvious. But I don't think Italy in general saw her as being any different than a Somali, Moroccan, Ethiopian or Sudanese, who are African foreigners whose population in Italy is more abundant than the Dominican. It's more of a North American-like thing - she has black blood, she is not from Italy, she is no different than the blackest of the black. Denny claiming in Italian that she is not black (and I distinctly remember her saying this) had no impact on the real issue of her beauty (and the sista was and is spectacular) not being considered representative of Italian beauty.

Quote:
Well each Dominican is different.
Sure. I have seen and heard Dominicans laud their African roots. But they are a distinct minority.
Quote:

I heard that in the Netherlands the controversial and complex issue of race and skin color among Dominicans is a very big issue as well. I think Dominicans have this reputation of being self hating or anti black worldwide but I think Dominicanos get a very bad wrap.
Dominicans and Cape Verdeans have similar branding of being self-hating. A lot of it is because there is a lot of self-hate in both cultures. Didn't know of many Dominicans in the Netherlands, but there are plenty of Cape Verdeans there.

Quote:
People seem to misunderstand their culture and history. It's much more complex than just a black vs white thing. Next most Afrodiasporic populations worldwide have their issues, so to single out only Dominicans and SPECIFICALLY Dominicans, alone is unfair.
I could site several other examples of Afrodiasporic self hate such as the skin bleaching epidemic in places like Jamaica.

Of course. On some levels that self-hate is endemic to all Afro-Atlantic (and African in general) populations.

Quote:
And also the issue with Haitians is more culture based and XENOPHOBIA which is not the same thing as racism or anti blackness.
There is a serious antihaitianismo there, but race ties in pretty strongly with the national/ethnic antipathy Dominicans have toward Haitians.

Quote:
In fact most Caribbean islands don't appreciate poor classless illegal Haitian immigrations to their islands, when they have to take care of their people first. IJS.
Haitians have the worst of it in many countries. My family moved from Haiti to Cuba after the revolutions, but they were light mulatto, so eastern Cuba was pretty welcoming to them.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,927,064 times
Quote:
All true. But they should not deny their African roots.

I call myself African, but I'm just a confused domestic/Cuban/Haitian brotha.
I believe the first h.sapiens was black..and inhabited Africa. There is plenty of scientific evidence to support this. So....does that mean I can go and enter as many African pride exhibitions as I choose?

Maybe I COULD.....but it would be stupid and very antagonist to say the least.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I live with 4 of them...aside from my extended family, I know hundreds...NY/NJ was the main portal for migrating Dominicans. I grew up with them, along with Puerto Ricans who also make the same Taino claims that Dominicans make.

All the black Dominicans I know, know full well, that they are 'black'...

Why would any Dominican claim they are "African"?? Their "motherland" is Quisqueya...where their culture was born! The indigenous people of that land were Tainos! Shoot, HAITIANS don't even claim to be African....they call themselves West Indian!
No, NOT ALL Haitians do not call themselves West Indian. They usually identify as HAITIANS. Their history and language separates them or makes them unique apart from virtually every nation in the Western Hemisphere.

Last edited by ParadigmizedFactions; 10-01-2013 at 08:43 AM..

Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,927,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
No, Haitians do not call themselves West Indian. They usually identify as HAITIANS. Their history and language separates them or makes them unique apart from virtually every nation in the Western Hemisphere.
Haitians ARE West Indians...just as Dominicans (unique language as well, but geographically they technically are West Indian) are and Jamaicans, Trinis so forth and so on...

Nigerians are Nigerians...are they not African?

Are Filipinos not Pan-Asian?

EDIT: And the "language" aspect really doesn't hold water because all Haitians speak is a broken form of French (Haitian Creole)...The Jamaicans speak broken English...does that make them NOT West Indian?

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 10-01-2013 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies