Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 AM

229 posts, read 163,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually I think they would be more freaked out by all the technology that exists today.

Technology doesn't change freedom & liberty. Or is this just a diversion?

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-14-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 07:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"I will not negotiate." — Obama
"We will not negotiate." — Harry Reid

Who is it, again, who will not compromise?
Why would anyone want to negotiation with people who refuse to open up the government? If the Republicans want to negotiation, they know what they need to do first.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 AM

229 posts, read 163,862 times
Quote:
You mean like how House Republicans have abused their power. Did you know anyone in the House could try and bring a vote to the floor, but the House Republicans recently changed the rules so that only the majority can bring a vote to the floor preventing Democrats from stopping this shutdown.

Only an amendment to the constitution can change the way government works.
At least that is how it is suppose to work.
Remember the 17th amendment?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Actually no, I don't like it when either side in the House try to change the rules to disadvantage the minority. But I take it you are happy when Republicans do it to make a government shutdown happen.
No, I'm just happy that they have at least made some token effort at defunding and removing Obamacare.

I'll applaud anything done that's good, whether I approve of the players or not. And "good" is defined is taking power away from the government. Always.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Why would anyone want to negotiation with people who refuse to open up the government? If the Republicans want to negotiation, they know what they need to do first.
Because the people who are shutting down the government are the ones refusing to negotiate, not the other way around. It is the Democrats and Obama who are responsible for shutdown.

They faced a determined House, which is exercising it's Constitutional authority to fund what it wants and NOT what it wants. They had two options... Agree and negotiate the terms, or shutdown.

Obama chose shutdown, and ordered Reid to obey.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsumCement View Post
Only an amendment to the constitution can change the way government works.
At least that is how it is suppose to work.
Remember the 17th amendment?
Well I guess you should tell the Republicans that who recently changed how the House members can bring a vote to the floor.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,234,437 times
Obama care is a done deal.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
To spend or not spend is for the House to decide. To fund or not to fund ObamaCare is their "right to choose," and based on the enormous cost and the amount of waste involved in ObamaCare, and our current debt, not funding it would reassert the fiscal function they were entrusted with.

Benjamin Franklin would be proud of Republican efforts to defund ObamaCare.

The "Great Compromise."
Th "founders" would have ordered the arrest of the anti-American Congressmen engaged in illegal activities.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, I'm just happy that they have at least made some token effort at defunding and removing Obamacare.

I'll applaud anything done that's good, whether I approve of the players or not. And "good" is defined is taking power away from the government. Always.
So you only applaud the government trying to defund things you don't like?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Because the people who are shutting down the government are the ones refusing to negotiate, not the other way around. It is the Democrats and Obama who are responsible for shutdown.

They faced a determined House, which is exercising it's Constitutional authority to fund what it wants and NOT what it wants. They had two options... Agree and negotiate the terms, or shutdown.

Obama chose shutdown, and ordered Reid to obey.
Obviously you have no idea who shut down the government. Why didn't Boner bring the clean bill to a vote to prevent the government from shutting down while the two sides worked out their differences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies