Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times

Advertisements

Arrival of Obamacare forcing insurers to drop customers with low coverage - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,411,323 times
So here's the surprising bright side of Obamanomics: Healthcare Edition.

Many thought that Obamacare would further remove people from the costs of care, making the cost spiral even worse. But the actual ACA-compliant policies have such large deductibles and large co-pays and, for people who used to have good coverage, sharply higher out-of-pocket maximum exposure. (Mine went from $6,000 to over $12,000 per year, for example.)

So a lot of people will be looking at those deductibles and foregoing doctor visits and medical treatments, which will reduce cost pressures. Overuse is not going to be the issue that many thought, because a large fraction of the ACA-insured population will not be able to afford actual care. (Except for FREE PHYSICALS, Yay!) Some problems turned up in the free physicals will go untreated, or will bankrupt the paycheck-to-paycheck crowd just like the olden days.

Within a few months, when people start to get bills for several thousand dollars to cover deductibles and copays, the noise to reform the health care reform will get very loud, I predict.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:17 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
All insurers must provide the basic coverage. If a policy only provide 3 of the 15 critiria of coverage, then they must modify their policies.

What do want your medical insurance policy to cover and offer? What services should they cover?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:18 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Default CBS: Obamacare is Forcing Millions to Lose Their Health Insurance

Quote:
And that number comes from a UCLA expert interviewed by CBS who supports the ironically-titled Affordable Care Act. Around 14 million people buy their own health insurance on the individual markets, which is actually about the same as the true number of Americans uninsured by circumstance rather than choice. Half of those insured will lose that insurance thanks to the mandates imposed by ObamaCare, and will get forced to buy new policies. UCLA public health policy director Gerry Kominski says that they will get a better product with more protection, but don’t tell that to Natalie Willes:
Link: CBS: ObamaCare forcing millions to lose their insurance « Hot Air

As usual, conservatives are being proven right.

It's a crying shame CBS and the other DNC propaganda outlets that make up the mainstream media didn't do their jobs for the past three years, otherwise this might not be happening to so many good Americans. All of this was known and readily available information for years, but ignored by the left and the media (which are practically synonymous).

Old 10-25-2013, 09:19 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Obamacare a product" which is supposedly so good that our government has to threaten us with penalties and fines if we choose not to buy it. Obama's pals and cronies, including the labor unions that pushed for it, the Congress that passed it into law, and the government agencies assigned to enforce it, lined up for years begging for, and getting, waivers so they don't have to participate in it.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:21 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
All insurers must provide the basic coverage. If a policy only provide 3 of the 15 critiria of coverage, then they must modify their policies.

What do want your medical insurance policy to cover and offer? What services should they cover?
uhm the medical coverage I had purchased on my own which by the way worked very well when I was very ill. My insurance company Highmark did right by me and I wanted to stay with them unfortunately due to Obamacare they terminated my policy.

By the way I don't need maternity or dental coverage for children.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
But but but.. some people have received rebates for dozens of dollars.. haha...

Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

Many thought that Obamacare would further remove people from the costs of care, making the cost spiral even worse. But the actual ACA-compliant policies have such large deductibles and large co-pays and, for people who used to have good coverage, sharply higher out-of-pocket maximum exposure. (Mine went from $6,000 to over $12,000 per year, for example.)
What exatly is good coverage? if having a low deductable and co-pay yet the policy doesnt meet the minumun of coverage, how good is it.

You gave one expample of higher deductable and copays...did you get only one quote? How many quotes did you consider...? Was the $6,000 higher option the lowest one available to you?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

So a lot of people will be looking at those deductibles and foregoing doctor visits and medical treatments, which will reduce cost pressures. Overuse is not going to be the issue that many thought, because a large fraction of the ACA-insured population will not be able to afford actual care. (Except for FREE PHYSICALS, Yay!) Some problems turned up in the free physicals will go untreated, or will bankrupt the paycheck-to-paycheck crowd just like the olden days.

Within a few months, when people start to get bills for several thousand dollars to cover deductibles and copays, the noise to reform the health care reform will get very loud, I predict.
But hospitals will be flush as they will get paid for costly services that the currently uninsured walk away from.

Heckuva job Barry.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But but but.. some people have received rebates for dozens of dollars.. haha...
The malfeasance on the part of the administration AND the so-called Fourth Estate (the media) is just stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies