Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
It sounds like you truly want to understand and aren't just baiting so Ill answer seriously.

In 2008 the country was arguably at one if its lowest points in history. We were in an almost decade long, ultra expensive war, barley making progress, that was all based on false pretenses, and we had the worse economic collapse since the Great Depression. Fixing those two issues were the number one priorities for me when going to the ballot box, and healthcare was a close runner up because I work for myself as an independent contractor so I see the real ugly side and expenses of the insurance industry, unlike those who have insurance through an employer. McCain provided very little answers to these problems during his campaign and most people were under the impression that he wouldn't be very different from the Bush Administration. He even said he'd stay in Iraq for another 100 years if we had too. Obama however campaigned on ending the war, reforming wall street, and reforming health care. And guess what? He did exactly those three things.

Let me reiterate that one more time: I voted for a policy change in Iraq, Wall Street, and healthcare, and Obama delivered just that. How can i be dissapointed with my vote? Yes there have been blunders and scandals and a failure to fulfill other promises (promises which I honestly wasn't too concerned about), but every president has those and they rarely loose the support of their party (Bush certainly didn't, you are the anomaly).
Obama has continued and expanded many Bush policies and is considered to be Bush lite by many.
Iraq ended on Bush's original timetable. Obama tried to extend our involvement but failed.
Obama's Wall St. "reform" has stymied the economy.
It becomes more evident with each passing day that Obamacare is a complete train wreck.

How can anyone NOT be disappointed with their vote for Obama? I have a beautiful bridge for sale. PM me for details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Obama is an idealist much like many on the left. He may not be a perfect choice, but by their reasoning he is:
1. A democrat
2. A minority
3. Always bashes the rich even tho he is rich.
4. Makes promises for give away programs.
5. No matter what he isn't a republican.
To the hard left results mean very little. It is the rhetoric that matters. It is the party that matters.
This is no different than the hard right. Rhetoric and party. Nothing else matters.
Yes we Libs are "idealists" but who do you like better?

Obama who promises you the world even though you know he can't deliver on all of his promises?

or Romney who told us "Corporations are people too".

Politics is not about "rationale" but "idealism" and it will forever be. It works that way in politics, business, religion?

26,505 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
I don't get it. Obama has blatantly lied to the American people with this insurance thing. On top of that he has broken a number of election year promises about transparency. He has played ignorant to tons of abuses of power in his administration. He hasn't closed Guantanamo. He hasn't delivered on the robust recovery that campaigned on. He is still using drones to blow up people in Pakistan and other third world hellholes.

I get it that he is, in theory, ideologically in line with you but practically the man is just another Washington plutocrat playing the game to save himself.

I have never defended the presidency of George W Bush because I believe that he is the antithesis of what a GOP member should be. Further Bush campaigned on nonintervention and broke that promise and a host of other things. I do not, nor will not defend his presidency and I'm a lifelong republican.

So I ask you...why defend this man when he has so clearly governed in a manner inconsistent with his campaign promises?
I truly respect this post.

Bush failed and deserves to be called out by Republicans as much as Democrats.

Obama is failing and deserves to be called out by Democrats as much as Republicans.

The biggest threat to America is people refusing to call out politicians in their own party. They are fine with policies that are failing our country so long as their guy is in power. We are more loyal to our party than our country.

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
**crickets**
Like i posted in another thread:

0bama, a man whose outrage knows no bounds for scandals which have no end.

Obama, a man who was seething over IRS abuses of power, and promised to get to the bottom of it, but hasn't.

Obama, a man who was similarly seething over a DOJ for spying on reporters, and promised to get to the bottom of it, but didn't.

Obama, a man who claims to lead our nation, the man where the bucks stops with, but continually claims he never knows anything unless he sees it on a cable TV news story.

Obama, a man who pushes things, then drops them

... says he's on top of things, while being oblivious to everything

... creates jobs councils, and then ignores them

... denounces $8 trillion in debt, and then dismisses $17 trillion

... calls for civil public discourse, then refers to Republicans as kidnapers and terrorists

... calls to hold Republicans accountable, but never holds himself accountable.

... whose stimulus needs stimulus

... whose bailouts need bailouts

And what do we hear from the left?

**crickets**

Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM

26,505 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

Obama who promises you the world even though you know he can't deliver on all of his promises?

Politics is not about "rationale" but "idealism" and it will forever be. It works that way in politics, business, religion?
Obama is not delivering on his promises because he is actively going against them. And you are fine with this, because he is your guy. If you were true to liberal ideas, you would be upset with Obama and publicly criticize him and hope that he was pressured into hope and change.

Romney was quoting the Supreme Court and since you didn't know that you probably don't know the context either.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You've posted that three or four times now. It's a really poor substitute for an actual argument. Why don't you stop, think about your position, and write some cogent arguments that are supportive?
I know, it's getting annoying. And I could literally post 100 quotes from conservatives on this site making the same exact kind of statements he is criticizing. To insinuate that the liberals on this site only make those type of statements while the conservatives only make logical arguments based on policy and reason, is just down right delusional.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:58 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

Corporate personhood is the legal concept that a corporation may be recognized as an individual in the eyes of the law. This doctrine forms the basis for legal recognition that corporations, as groups of people, may hold and exercise certain rights under the common law and the U.S. Constitution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_personhood

Looks like Democrats don't know the law.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Corporate personhood is the legal concept that a corporation may be recognized as an individual in the eyes of the law. This doctrine forms the basis for legal recognition that corporations, as groups of people, may hold and exercise certain rights under the common law and the U.S. Constitution.
Wow, talk about Kool-Aid.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:01 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I truly respect this post.

Bush failed and deserves to be called out by Republicans as much as Democrats.

Obama is failing and deserves to be called out by Democrats as much as Republicans.

The biggest threat to America is people refusing to call out politicians in their own party. They are fine with policies that are failing our country so long as their guy is in power. We are more loyal to our party than our country.
We can do with a few million fewer people who are nothing but boot-licking sycophants for their politicians, that much is for sure. Bush has his, but 0bama has a mindless horde of these empty-headed, useful idiots.

The problem with these people is they seem to feel they are inexorably tied to these politicians. The seem to think that anything 0bama does or says is an exact reflection on themselves. As if, when 0bama's policies fail, then they see it as them failing too, if someone is critical of 0bama they see it as criticizing them too.

I see it all the time. I can have a friendly, rational discussion about politics, and as soon as I'm critical of something about 0bama, these people become irrational, unhinged and turn angry, then start attacking me personally.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:02 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Wow, talk about Kool-Aid.
This doctrine has been reaffirmed by the Supreme Court many times.

Corporate personhood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a matter of interpretation of the word "person" in the Fourteenth Amendment, U.S. courts have extended certain constitutional protections to corporations. Opponents of corporate personhood seek to amend the U.S. Constitution to limit these rights to those provided by state law and state constitutions.

The basis for allowing corporations to assert protection under the U.S. Constitution is that they are organizations of people, and the people should not be deprived of their constitutional rights when they act collectively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies