Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,129 times

Advertisements

Aren't you the guy whining for free health care? That makes you moot regarding anything else you have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 AM

525 posts, read 508,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The same way you guys defended Bush (and you DID defend Bush despite your nonsensical insistence that you didn't) after no WMD was found and the war in Iraq went to the dogs.

That was too easy.
Your argument is to state a false premise and declare victory based on that?

Jesus.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
There's so much stupid in that last post, I don't know where to begin.
Which one of yours was it, there've been so many.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:11 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
So I ask you...why defend this man when he has so clearly governed in a manner inconsistent with his campaign promises?
Because for a recent American president (of whom none of the others has faced such a completely nutburger House of Representatives) he's actually done pretty well:

PolitiFact | A PolitiFact special report: Obama's first-term campaign promises

Promises kept: 239 (47%)
Compromised: 130 (26%)
Broken: 119 (23%)
Stalled: 2 (0%)
In the works: 18 (4%)

I'm content with that

Old 11-03-2013, 11:13 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Here it is again, and again, and again.
Aint it the sad truth?

Quote:
During her honeymoon speech at the Republican National Convention in 2008, Sarah Palin echoed a jab at Barack Obama that had been lurking around in Republican circles for most of that year. Earlier at the convention, Rudy Giuliani famously brought it up through his gigantically-toothy grin and childish giggling. But it was Sarah Palin who would get most of the credit for it.

I'm referring here to the emphasis on President Obama's service as an urban community organizer. Clearly, this was a Southern Strategy-style racial dog whistle -- a way of underscoring the president's ethnicity, his race and his association with scary inner-city black people.

It's worth mentioning again the Lee Atwater quote regarding the functional language of the Southern Strategy. Suffice to say, Atwater made it perfectly clear that Republican political tactics included (and still do) exploiting race -- winning white votes by demonizing blacks. And the way to play this game in the modern age was to use code language. Dog whistles, because overt racial language would too easily "back fire."

Bob Cesca: Southern Strategist Sarah Palin Denies the Southern Strategy
Let's not get sidetracked here, the thread is about Liberals defending Obama, but you chose to cherry pick my post and zero in on that part. You personally might not be a person that bases opinions upon race but to deny that there are people that are racist and have made Obama a prime target would be incredibly stupid or disingenuous.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:14 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

This entire thread is populated with comments about race. I get so tired of hearing that Democrats make it all about race when any FOOL can see ~ conservatives are obsessed with it.

How does anyone defend their elected official who doesn't live up to all their campaign promises?

First off - I never, ever expect that to happen. Tell me one President who has kept their promise on each and every thing they promised on the campaign trail. "Mark my words, no new taxes'!
It's funny you should mention the no new taxes mantra when that president lost his reelection because of it. How many lies was Obama caught in prior to the 2012 election, and yet still won reelection? Of course, it helps to have a friendly press to cover for the president when it comes to lies.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,656,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
I don't get it. Obama has blatantly lied to the American people with this insurance thing. On top of that he has broken a number of election year promises about transparency. He has played ignorant to tons of abuses of power in his administration. He hasn't closed Guantanamo. He hasn't delivered on the robust recovery that campaigned on. He is still using drones to blow up people in Pakistan and other third world hellholes.

I get it that he is, in theory, ideologically in line with you but practically the man is just another Washington plutocrat playing the game to save himself.

I have never defended the presidency of George W Bush because I believe that he is the antithesis of what a GOP member should be. Further Bush campaigned on nonintervention and broke that promise and a host of other things. I do not, nor will not defend his presidency and I'm a lifelong republican.

So I ask you...why defend this man when he has so clearly governed in a manner inconsistent with his campaign promises?
No one is defending Obama, rather you fell into the Fox news/Rush radio philosophy that Obama is "the Great Leader" or "the Messiah", and you believe he has a bunch of followers.

Every president (republican or democrat) will say a few lies, but republicans attack Obama like children to the point they attack Michelle Obama's garden, attack Obama for playing golf, and attack Obama for taking family vacations.

Perhaps some black Americans defend Obama, but they are just very happy that America could have a black president.

A (non-insane) question would be why are you attacking Obama?

Obama has spent less money that any other president in the last 60 years, and Obama has cut GW Bushs national debt growth in half.

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama? - Forbes

http://www.skymachines.com/US-Nation...ental-Term.htm

And your post is a big time manipulation Obama did or tried to do most of the things you attacked him for.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They're called "useful idiots".

They keep getting promised Utopia, which never comes, but that carrot is always left dangling.

Bleating Sheep - YouTube
Another argumentum ad hominem.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:20 AM

525 posts, read 508,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
No one is defending Obama, rather you fell into the Fox news/Rush radio philosophy that Obama is "the Great Leader" or "the Messiah", and you believe he has a bunch of followers.

Every president (republican or democrat) will say a few lies, but republicans attack Obama like children to the point they attack Michelle Obama's garden, attack Obama for playing golf, and attack Obama for taking family vacations.

Perhaps some black Americans defend Obama, but they are just very happy that America could have a black president.

A (non-insane) question would be why are you attacking Obama?

Obama has spent less money that any other president in the last 60 years, and Obama has cut GW Bushs national debt growth in half.

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama? - Forbes

http://www.skymachines.com/US-Nation...ental-Term.htm

And your post is a big time manipulation Obama did or tried to do most of the things you attacked him for.
Anyone else see the irony in this post or is it just me?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I defend Obama as much as I defended Bush.

I believe they both went into things with certain ideas then were thwarted by the system we have created in this country. The POTUS isn't all powerful, there are so many other players in this "game" that it's hard to point the finger at anyone, or any side or any letter (d) or (r)...but man does it make us personally feel better to try. It's all rigged, learn that or remain stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies