Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:04 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And how low should entry jobs be paid? You Cons are all for the race to the bottom, practially leaping over each other to get their first. I seriously don't think you guys will be happy until our country's is littered with extremely depressed 3rd world like slums.
Time will tell, but watch closely over the next year when the min wage takes effect....

We Can Predict The Effects Of Seattle's $15 An Hour Minimum Wage - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I lived in Minnesota for several years where restaurants have to pay their workers at least minimum wage - unlike most other states. I don't have any recollection of restaurant food being more expensive in Minnesota than in other states. In fact, the restaurant scene in the Twin Cities was always thriving, and probably still is.
Well, people aren't going to drive out of state to eat, it would cost a fortune in gas.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You should ask them if doubling their labor costs would hurt their business. I am interested to see what their answers are.
I second this!

Old 11-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Now you are trying to tell people how to spend their money?
Also, airport prices are always higher than normal so people probably won't see much difference at Sea-Tac compared to other airports. Movie food is expensive too, but that doesn't stop me from buying a bucket of popcorn for my movie rather than popping some popcorn on a camper grill in the theater.
Why not, you do it all of the time. Hypocrite much?

Old 11-25-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Except when those business owners get together and decide what the wages should be set at to prevent cost of pay competition. Then of course there is always someone willing to do a job for less than someone else. That is called the race to the bottom, and that is back for the economy.
It's called competition! In my mind, there should be no minimum wage law's. Business would compete for employee's and you would be free to work for the highest bidder. Businesses would be free to pay what they could afford. If restaurant needed help because of increased business they can afford to pay a little more and draw employee's from the restaurant down the road, if that said restaurant wants to keep those employee/s they may come up with more money/ It is called supply and demand, free market. Min wage stymie's everyone.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Except when those business owners get together and decide what the wages should be set at to prevent cost of pay competition. Then of course there is always someone willing to do a job for less than someone else. That is called the race to the bottom, and that is back for the economy.
It is illegal, called collusion.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
The people that work at the Taco Bell I go to are super fast and good at what they do, yet still make minimum wage and don't get to collect tips, nor does anyone really tip them because it is fast food.
If they are good at their jobs as you say, then it is an incentive for promotion or move on to another job with more responsibility and better pay, when you pay every one the same regardless of the quality of their work, what incentive is there for anyone to work harder. That is the trouble with you liberals, You would give everyone a big raise without looking at the ramifications on the employer or other employee's

Old 11-25-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
The Seattle metro has been outperforming the rest of the US for some time. I think this metro area will fine.
Really? From Forbes mag.....

"While attending an event at a SeaTac hotel last week, I met two women who receive the $15/hour minimum wage. SeaTac has implemented the new law on Jan. 1. I met the women while they were working. One was a waitress and the other was cleaning the hallway.
“Are you happy with the $15 wage?” I asked the full-time cleaning lady.
“It sounds good, but it’s not good,” the woman said.
“Why?” I asked.
I lost my 401k, health insurance, paid holiday, and vacation,” she responded. “No more free food,” she added.
The hotel used to feed her. Now, she has to bring her own food. Also, no overtime, she said. She used to work extra hours and received overtime pay.
What else? I asked.
“I have to pay for parking,” she said.
I then asked the part-time waitress, who was part of the catering staff.
“Yes, I’ve got $15 an hour, but all my tips are now much less,” she said. Before the new wage law was implemented, her hourly wage was $7. But her tips added to more than $15 an hour. Yes, she used to receive free food and parking. Now, she has to bring her own food and pay for parking".

Enough said!

Old 11-25-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
could be many different factors. For instance San Francisco is much smaller and densely populated with many more desirable places to live compared to Los Angeles which is much bigger with more areas of poverty.

But the reality is even with San Francisco's higher minimum wage businesses are still thriving. You aren't seeing businesses leave SF. There are still plenty of Taco Bell's and Mickey D's.
San fran. is a far sight bigger than SeaTac.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Yeah, no big deal, because the proponents of the "living wage" had nothing but selfless good intentions in their hearts. They are SUCH GOOOOOD people! The newly unemployed are small potatoes to those generous, benevolent people who are too busy patting themselves on the back, and looking for other triumphs of the spirit over common sense.
And most won't be around to see the results!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies