Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 04:02 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times

Advertisements

I think the OP is trolling (very successfully, BTW. Well done), but I'll answer the question.

I've come to the conclusion that the illicit drug business is more of a threat to the country, than illicit drug use, and that no amount of effort to interdict the drug supply will ever be able to prevent a reliable supply of drugs from reaching the customer base for these drugs in this country. So I would legalize the sale and possession of pretty much all drugs that are now either actively banned, or highly controlled. This means all opiates, cocaine, methamphetamine, MDNA and the other "designer' drugs, and, of course Pot.

However, sales would be heavily regulated. One of the main goals of the distribution system would be to entirely co-opt the illegal supply network, while creating as little new demand as possible. No advertising or promotion would be allowed. retail network would be set up that would create storefront distribution centers. These would be located so that the vast majority of people would have one convenient to them. A central registry would be set up, so users could easily find these centers, but that would be the only kind of public exposure they could have. Prices would be regulated, and keep very low (in comparison to the current prices charged by the illicit drug dealers.) This might be on the order of 1/200th or less of the current price structure, whatever would be necessary to put the current system out of business. Since the legal centers would not have any risk premium in selling the drugs, they would need much less of a markup to be profitable.

There would also be non-judicial penalties put in place to discourage drug use. Anyone getting any payments and/or services from government programs (including such programs as Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid) would be subject random drug testing, and would have any participation ended for a failed test. The same for any government workers, or workers of government contractors. And prohibition in place against private parties (including but not limited to employers) requiring drug testing for employment or participation would be eliminated. The idea being that the users can use, and not be arrested for such, but as much as the drug use itself would make their lives hard, the sanctions would make it harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 04:11 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Declare defeat?? How about declare freedom and allowing adults to be adults. You seem intent on pushing your morals on everyone else. Back the eff off.
Somalia is letting adults be adults, and the bodies are piling up fast.

It has nothing to do with morals, it is a public safety and national security issue. When Miami was like the wild west in the 1980s, the law abiding citizens were begging for the issue to be resolved, and eventually it was when Reagan sent down the FBI and other agencies to fight the "adults being adults" criminals. The "adults being adults" were making the place unlivable for normal people.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
only a person like you would compare murder to some none violent person the blows a few lines or smokes weed..
Miami drug wars were fought over those few innocent lines pf cocaine. Thousands of people were murdered.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:22 PM

310 posts, read 256,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Somalia is letting adults be adults, and the bodies are piling up fast.

It has nothing to do with morals, it is a public safety and national security issue. When Miami was like the wild west in the 1980s, the law abiding citizens were begging for the issue to be resolved, and eventually it was when Reagan sent down the FBI and other agencies to fight the "adults being adults" criminals. The "adults being adults" were making the place unlivable for normal people.
Come on, dragging out the old Somalia card? It is not valid.

And as far as public safety, we already have tons of laws on the books for that. If people want to use drugs, fine, but once they affect another person then there are be laws to take care of that. It is a waste of time and money, as well as making things more dangerous, to try combating drug use.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:25 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You seem to have just made those statistics up right now. Proof?

I've heard from numerous cops that alcohol is by far and away the most frequent factor with police activity.

And besides, why would you want to imprison someone at the taxpayer's expense and Corporate America's gain for crimes with no victims? It just overwhelms the system and takes away from police actually doing their job and stopping violent criminals and thieves.
This. I see alcohol causing 90 percent of the problems on the night shift.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
Come on, dragging out the old Somalia card? It is not valid.

And as far as public safety, we already have tons of laws on the books for that. If people want to use drugs, fine, but once they affect another person then there are be laws to take care of that. It is a waste of time and money, as well as making things more dangerous, to try combating drug use.
Ah, so it is better to wait until they kill people as opposed to trying to prevent it. Interesting.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:30 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I agree with stopping the war on some drugs. The exception as other people have noted is Meth, and other drugs whose addictiveness and damage is so horrifically self evident. Meths....just bad. really really bad. The rest...hmm...I really don't care.

I'd be happy if more of my coworkers smoked pot or took ecstasy, less effective competition for the better jobs. I will crush them on the corporate ladder if they slip up like that. And I will hear the lamentations of their women! DEATH TO ALL WHO OPPOSE ME...err... ahh hem. Sorry there, got too excited for a second.

We spend too much money warring on our citizens.
As a police officer I agree that the USE/POSSESSION of meth,X,crack, heroin, etc should be decriminalized and treated as a public health issue(no time in jail and no criminal record) anyone SELLING the previous listed drugs should be locked up.

Legalize marijuana,....regulate, tax, and control it and use the saved enforcement costs towards the dealers of the dangerous drugs. Use the revenue for roads, schools, debt reduction, new fire trucks, etc

Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM

310 posts, read 256,413 times
Quote:
Ah, so it is better to wait until they kill people as opposed to trying to prevent it. Interesting.
Yes, because we all know that people only kill and hurt others while on drugs, right? That argument holds no water, as it will happen regardless and there are laws for it.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:45 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Miami drug wars were fought over those few innocent lines pf cocaine. Thousands of people were murdered.

thousand of people are dying from forced labor or low wage slave wages working 12 or more hours a day building all of your electronic and textile needs etc.. but I don't see you complaining about how your computer or I pad was built..

take the massive profit out of selling drugs by legalizing them and most of the violence will go the way of the dodo bird..

Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Sure, we were discussing illegal drug use but the bride and I have been discussing the drug addicts we know very well, my kids and our mutual friends. One of our peeps is actually a user of methamphetamine and the law hardly bats an eye...

Because the drugs they are addicted to (and they are addicts) are sanctioned by people in lab coats with a couple of letters following their last names. About the only difference I can discern is the purity of the product. Tell me what is the difference between the dinner guests quaffing a xanax or two after dinner or stepping out to take a hit or 2 off the pot pipe?

We're a country of people who aren't comfortable with reality. I used to be for the drug war, after seeing what pot had done to a lot of kids I grew up with. Over the years, my opinion has changed. If you made dope legal and available, you'd still have a certain percentage of burnouts, but they wouldn't have to steal your stuff or stick a knife in your back to get their dope. Cuz a lot of young people have already figured out where the good stuff is, at the local pharmacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies