Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:52 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So Harrier is showing faux outrage over an issue he doesn't really care about. Maybe if Harrier watched the show and wrote letters to A&E, they would reverse their decision for Harrier.
Harrier does care about the issue - he said that he is concerned about the suppressing of dissent by the hate group GLAAD.

Did you somehow miss that?

Old 12-27-2013, 01:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Harrier does care about the issue - he said that he is concerned about the suppressing of dissent by the hate group GLAAD.

Did you somehow miss that?
Exactly, Harrier is expressing faux outrage over a non-issue that Harrier doesn't even care about one way or another but can loosely apply it to a vague notion of suppressing of the dissent without actually expressing how that is being done.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
A lot of hypocrisy on this forum. One group complaining that someone was suspended for voicing his opinions.
The other champions A&E's right to do so because they are a private business.
The irony is that when it's say a bakery that doesn't want to make a cake for someone, then that same group that believes in a businesses rights demand they be punished for exercising the right to chose who they serve.
Would they feel so energized if say A&E suspended someone for speaking out against the KKK? Christians? GW Bush?
Some how I think they would be cheering for the person who was suspended.
On the other side the outrage over the suspension. Would they feel the out rage if the suspension was someone speaking out about the above?
Based on past posts I am inclined to doubt it.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Exactly, Harrier is expressing faux outrage over a non-issue that Harrier doesn't even care about one way or another but can loosely apply it to a vague notion of suppressing of the dissent without actually expressing how that is being done.
What part of "Harrier cares about the hate group GLAAD squashing dissent" do you NOT understand?

That is what this is about - the hate group GLAAD squashing dissent.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
A lot of hypocrisy on this forum. One group complaining that someone was suspended for voicing his opinions.
The other champions A&E's right to do so because they are a private business.
The irony is that when it's say a bakery that doesn't want to make a cake for someone, then that same group that believes in a businesses rights demand they be punished for exercising the right to chose who they serve.
Would they feel so energized if say A&E suspended someone for speaking out against the KKK? Christians? GW Bush?
Some how I think they would be cheering for the person who was suspended.
On the other side the outrage over the suspension. Would they feel the out rage if the suspension was someone speaking out about the above?
Based on past posts I am inclined to doubt it.
Well the bakery was violating the law with their business and were fined because of it. I support companies being fined for violating laws.

If A&E fired an employee for saying they were against the KKK, Christians, or G W Bush (which might I add is an odd group to put together,) I would still say the same thing, that it is A&E's right as a private company to hire and fire their employees even if I disagree with their decision.

But the rest of it you are basically right, which is why I take threads like these with a grain of salt because they function the way everyone expects them to function.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
What part of "Harrier cares about the hate group GLAAD squashing dissent" do you NOT understand?

That is what this is about - the hate group GLAAD squashing dissent.
Now you are just rambling again, could Harrier be specific or do you just hate GLAAD for the sake of hating GLAAD?

Old 12-27-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Now you are just rambling again, could Harrier be specific or do you just hate GLAAD for the sake of hating GLAAD?
It is you who is rambling.

GLAAD created this controversy because they wanted to squash dissent.

Harrier knows that you support that hate group, but you not have to be intentionally obtuse.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
It is you who is rambling.

GLAAD created this controversy because they wanted to squash dissent.

Harrier knows that you support that hate group, but you not have to be intentionally obtuse.
So is Harrier trying to say Phil didn't say what he said to an audience that was videotaped?

That is fine, I am well aware Harrier supports hate groups as well.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
That is fine, I am well aware Harrier supports hate groups as well.
Harrier supports no hate group.
[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-27-2013 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 12-27-2013, 02:14 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Getting somewhat back on topic:

A&E has itself in a trick bag right now. Stand firm and their money maker walks, taking with it (what was the number?) $400 million in product tie-ins. Cave and reinstate Robertson with no real discernible punishment and it opens itself up to more complaints from the original complainers. And likely some sort of half assed boycott and complaints to the FCC.

Punishment only works with people who give a ****. Phil Robertson, nor the family apparently, doesn't.

As far as someone earlier poo-pooing the financial piece and claiming that Storage Wars, in all its iterations, was the money maker while Duck Dynasty was an also ran. Well, I went looking for a Brandi and Jason flashlight for Christmas. Didn't see one. But there were an awful lot of Duck Dynasty items, or rather, empty racks where those products had been.

What seems to have been missed was that several months ago, in another interview, Phil had said he was going to back away from the show this season. At that point the family members interviewed said, basically, "Ok, that doesn't mean the show will end". Now it does. But the situation of that exit has changed.

The whole family signed a contract with A&E. The Robertsons can be sued for breach of contract if they refuse to continue the show. [MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-27-2013 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies