Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 11:36 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think that's a fair statement... most of us (liberals and conservatives alike) merely support a private business' right to set their own policies. Don't you believe in that?? If so, then you are just as "in support of his firing" as the rest of us. To put it more simply, I neither support nor oppose their decision - I only stand behind their freedom to MAKE that decision. I can't say whatever I want at work without facing consequences, so why should he be treated special?
You are right, and the real issue should be with GLAAD for pressuring A&E into firing Robertson.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:36 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Are you against the private industry being able to hire and fire who they choose?
Nope, but if liberals support the free choice of A&E to make such decisions that they made concerning Phil Robertson, then they should support the right of Phil Robertson to make the statements which he did.

They are not, and that is troubling.

Intolerant and bigoted liberals wish to censor the man.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Nope, but if liberals support the free choice of A&E to make such decisions that they made concerning Phil Robertson, then they should support the right of Phil Robertson to make the statements which he did.

Intolerant liberals wish to censor the man.
I totally support Phil's right to make bigoted comments, I also support his employer's right to fire him for said bigoted comments. I don't understand what you have trouble understanding with this.

Phil is more than welcome to continue his bigoted beliefs and can continue to say them to everyone willing to listen to him, but that doesn't mean A&E isn't allowed to fire him because of it.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:39 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:

Intolerant and bigoted liberals wish to censor the man.
How are we not supporting his right to say those things? I haven't heard ONE person suggest he be thrown in jail, sued, or otherwise persecuted for saying it... we've only been saying the same thing as you, that a business can make that call themselves. Maybe I missed something, since I haven't read this whole big thread (I actually responded when it was a short thread on Great Debates) - so can you show me examples of liberals not "supporting" his right to free speech?

Old 12-26-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think that's a fair statement... most of us (liberals and conservatives alike) merely support a private business' right to set their own policies. Don't you believe in that?? If so, then you are just as "in support of his firing" as the rest of us. To put it more simply, I neither support nor oppose their decision - I only stand behind their freedom to MAKE that decision. I can't say whatever I want at work without facing consequences, so why should he be treated special?
So does Harrier, however, too many liberals(not yourself) want to go much further and silence any dissent against their narrow point of view.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
So does Harrier, however, too many liberals(not yourself) want to go much further and silence any dissent against their narrow point of view.
Who want to go much further and silence anything? Are there people you can specifically point to that are calling for Phil to be jailed over this comment or anything like that?

Old 12-26-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You are right, and the real issue should be with GLAAD for pressuring A&E into firing Robertson.
Why? Do you not support GLAAD's right to express their concerns over the statement? A&E didn't have to cave, as proven by the Ellen DeGeneres/JCP vs "Million Moms" controversy... the moms pressured JCP to fire Ellen, they said nope! I'd actually have respected A&E more for reacting similarly, if they did in fact disagree with GLAAD's position (which is debatable).

Old 12-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I'd still like to see evidence of this, because I haven't heard anyone suggest "silencing" him - whatever that means. How would that even be possible?

Old 12-26-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So Harrier wants people to censor themselves from saying words that Harrier disagrees with?
Harrier has said no such thing.

Are you a proponent of Americans not having the right to state their own opinions?

Are you un-American?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Harrier has said no such thing.

Are you a proponent of Americans not having the right to state their own opinions?

Are you un-American?
I very much support that, much like you must support my freedom of speech to call people who align themselves with the Tea Party group as "teabaggers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies