Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 11:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times

Advertisements

But isn't Phil an employee of A&E?? If he is, then its not really censorship, he can say what he wants, BUT then has to deal with his employers reaction to it. Employment at will right? The right sprays it's collective shorts in ecstasy over the powerful hold employers have over their employees, but now that it bit one of their ilk in the backside, they cry censorship! Did you cry censorship over the Dixie Chicks backlash??? What if Phil had been punished for speaking out in FAVOR of gays and such? Would there still be the collective hoof-wringing from the right?? Can you say Hypocrites???

Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Liberals - they support him being fired for speaking his mind.
No, liberals support A&E doing what it feels is right as a private company. Are you against the private industry being able to hire and fire who they choose?

Old 12-26-2013, 11:26 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Just when you thought it couldn't get any dumber, here comes Jesse Jackson bringing race into it, demanding a meeting with AE and CB execs. Lol. Just who does this idiot think he is? I wish he would join his son in prison

Old 12-26-2013, 11:28 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
With the notable exception of you, Harrier isn't certain that liberals believe in much of anything.

You do, and Harrier gives credit where it is due.
While I appreciate the credit, you are still sorely mistaken.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Just when you thought it couldn't get any dumber, here comes Jesse Jackson bringing race into it, demanding a meeting with AE and CB execs. Lol. Just who does this idiot think he is? I wish he would join his son in prison
Bringing race into it? I haven't followed much of this story, but didn't Duck dude bring that into the discussion himself? Color me confused, no pun intended.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
I can completely understand why people are offended by Robertson's remarks, and they have every right to state their discontent. But I've felt for some time that the traditional playbook of having street protests and demanding the termination of people who say controversial things is not really an effective strategy going forward. The media nowadays are too splintered. As Cracker Barrell found out, some bigots have clout, and demanding that they be terminated, suspended, or whatever doesn't make much sense. The people who watch Duck Dynasty are pretty much like-minded people. A better strategy would be to voice discontent, put pressure on the show, but stop short of insisting on their termination and instead try to communicate with them more directly. But beyond that, homosexuality is not regarded by everyone as a civil rights issue, and for many people it never will be - they see it as a spiritual issue and a matter of conduct.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
While I appreciate the credit, you are still sorely mistaken.
You are welcome anyway, my lady.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:33 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Robertson was the one who made it racial - not Jackson. Not saying I'm a fan of JJ, but it was Robertson who basically waxed romantic about the Jim Crow era. I know that some will say his comments were taken out of context, but there's nothing about that context that shrouds how offensive those comments were to blacks, especially those who were old enough to remember the Jim Crow era from their own perspective. Robertson basically said what I've heard a lot of other white southerners say over the years "There were no problems between the races - til them n*ggers started agitatin'." Oh my, how awful that blacks actually demanded the right to choose where to sit on a bus or to have the right to vote in an election.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Liberals support A&E firing him, and that is censorship.
I don't think that's a fair statement... most of us (liberals and conservatives alike) merely support a private business' right to set their own policies. Don't you believe in that?? If so, then you are just as "in support of his firing" as the rest of us. To put it more simply, I neither support nor oppose their decision - I only stand behind their freedom to MAKE that decision. I can't say whatever I want at work without facing consequences, so why should he be treated special?

Old 12-26-2013, 11:34 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Bringing race into it? I haven't followed much of this story, but didn't Duck dude bring that into the discussion himself? Color me confused, no pun intended.
Jackson takes exception to the fact that there was a time in America when young black children were not taught to hate white people. He can't allow the notion that the races used to get along better than they do today. He makes his living off of keeping that conflict alive and he and his kind will keep stirring the pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies