Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 07:30 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times

Advertisements

heh heh, think how amusing it would be if it happened to you.

And, no, I do not think people should be paid 30K + a year for flipping burgers or assembling sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 07:31 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
They have the right to protest under the law, just as the owner has the right to pay the wages he chooses, and I would not be surprised if this gets challenged in court under the labor laws.
Nobody denied the employees their right to assemble/protest. But just as the Duck Dynasty guy is finding, the exercise of rights might be free from government interference, but not always from any consequence whatsoever.

If I was restructuring/remodeling my entire business, and I already had an expected slow season as well as a group of employees who have it clear they do not like working for me for the wages I pay them, I would have done exactly what this business owner did. I might have changed how I phrased the fact that all current employees are no longer needed and are free to apply for positions when the business reopens, but besides that minor quibble, it would have been basically the same.

Moral of the story - a job is not a right, it is a voluntary contract between two parties: employer and employee. Like any contract, it has terms and conditions, and I would assume one of those terms and/or conditions would be "when scheduled to work, you are expected to be at work, not at some protest demanding I pay you more while you are not working." So yes, you have a right to protest, but few employees have the right to blow off work for the purpose of making demands of and leveling insults at their employer and retain their job consequence free.

And there is no law that says this employer must remain in business. A lot of the small business workers would do well to learn from this example. For most small business owners, profit margins can be very slim, and the wage cost structiure is what it is. Demand too much, and the owner may decide being in business is simply no longer worth it, cash out and go relax full time instead of putting up with people protesting them.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:45 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Okay.....so the store is losing money and needs to close so they can restructure. Yea....it's a bad time of year to do it, but the owner is probably bleeding green and can't stay in business.

I didn't hear a peep out of lefties when Starbucks closed hundreds of stores a few years ago and many of their employees lost their jobs.

This particular business will reopen, will need employees and perhaps the best previous employees will be called back.

No biggie.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:48 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
What the protesting wave of fast-food "workers" (and I use that term loosely) fail to realize is that if they force a company to pay a high rate, then the company will probably want to replace their staff with people that will PRODUCE for that higher rate!

These current fools will be out on the street WISHING some fast food job was available that would pay someone like them a minimum wage!

You shouldn't get ahead by forcing someone to give you rewards. You need to improve your skillset and make something of yourself so either; a) an employer may want to reward you with better wages, or b) you get a better-paying job because you've made something of yourself.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:51 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
The owner might just be going under, something like 80% of restaurants go out of business in 2 years. But they run the risk of generating bad public sentiment which will hurt business. They'll probably change names but it looks like a lose lose proposition all around.
Maybe they can collect unemployment.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:53 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Isn't Chicago a sanctuary city ? They need to hire some Obama approved illegals.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:54 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Now the sandwich shop has to hire and retain new people. All that work when they could've just let them protest and deny them what they wanted.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I can't understand why anyone would want to work for somebody too gutless to fire an employee in person. Email is the coward's way out.

Radio Shack did the same thing several years back, and I know several people (myself included) who will never spend another nickel with them.
I have no idea how Radio Shack even still exists.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:05 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I have no idea how Radio Shack even still exists.
Cell phones and toys.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:07 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I can't understand why anyone would want to work for somebody too gutless to fire an employee in person. Email is the coward's way out.

Radio Shack did the same thing several years back, and I know several people (myself included) who will never spend another nickel with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies