Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,887,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Isn't Chicago a sanctuary city ? They need to hire some Obama approved illegals.
Chicago doesn't set federal immigration law. The sanctuary city moniker doesn't mean much outside of the fact that given all of the other challenges in the city, a decision was made that targeting undocumented resdients and workers isn't a high priority for law enforcement. I would be very willing to discuss the ramifications of NAFTA, who really benefits from globalization, whether the economic model of specialization actually works in practice, etc.

But this article, now 7 years old, says it best IMO. As always, just follow the money.

Today's Immigration Battle: Corporatists vs. Racists (and Labor is Left Behind)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 08:16 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
While they don't deserve exuberant wages, this isn't something to take pleasure in.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Nice Job… SEIU Gets Whole Chicago Restaurant Fired After Minimum Wage Protests | The Gateway Pundit

Another link that gives a bit more prospective on this. Yes the shop was closed due to the employees protesting. Yes there has been a loss in revenue due to competition and the overall economy.

My opinion - not that you want it.

Sales are down not only in the food service industry but also in retail. The fear of the ACA implementation and not knowing anything about it, has put many people including business owners into survival mode. They think twice before making purchases, adding workers, and expanding - best to save and see what happens. Meanwhile the economy continues to suffer because people don't want to take the chance and lose everything.

Then you have people wanting more pay despite the poor economic climate, instead of being thankful they at least have a job. I can understand how hard it is to survive on minimum wage - I did it for years - but money doesn't grow on trees. They derail the already struggling business for 4-5 days and then are surprised they got let go. There are many individuals without jobs that will be more than happy to fill those jobs.

As far as the cost of training new workers - I would rather absorb that cost and hire people who truly want to be there given the wage I am able to pay. Why bring back workers, who already made me suffer a financial loss as well as not trusting them anymore.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
And I'll wager the SEIU didn't offer to pay them either.

The SEIU has their own agenda.
They want these food workers in their union.
Only these workers don't see that.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:48 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
It should read: "All staff members are terminated." That manager can't even use proper English.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:53 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
These strikes were organized by a new group called Worker’s Organizing Committee of Chicago - their slogan is Fight for 15. They are mainly financed through the SEIU with a goal of organizing all the hourly employees into a new Union.

I wonder what the thoughts are today from that guy that is holding the "Shut down Snarks" sign? Two strikes against Snarks this year - the strike on Nov 5 shirt them down for 4 days. Snarks is a franchise out of Colorado - I guess time will tell what the owner does next, but it doesn't look to me as though these 'strikes' have helped these particular employees much. The workers at the Snarks sub shop knew that business was bad and their employer was having a rough time ….. they still went out on strike, demanding higher wages and more benefits.

Chicago fast-food, retail workers join in nationwide protest over wages - December 5, 2013
Quote:
“Chicago is a union town!†they chanted outside Snarf’s Sandwiches, 600 W. Chicago, one of several stops during a planned daylong demonstration in the city.

The group was expected to include workers from McDonald’s, Subway, CVS Pharmacy, Sears — among other companies.

“I have no problem making wages that are appropriate to my work, but it’s impossible to live on the wages we make,†explained Kait Ziegler, an actor and freelance writer who also works part-time at Snarf’s, making $9.50 an hour.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:01 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Moral of the story - a job is not a right, it is a voluntary contract between two parties: employer and employee.
, and he is wise to want only workers who wish to work there.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:03 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Now the sandwich shop has to hire and retain new people.
Yes, learning the yellow stuff is the mustard is an extensive training program.

Adding lettuce and tomato is no doubt shown during different training sessions as we wouln't want to tax their minds.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:05 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

Old 12-24-2013, 09:07 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Wait a minute..... It takes some knowledge to know not to leave the mayo out too long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies