Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 10:29 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Heh, heh, Sandwich Shop Employees Protest for Higher Wages...Get Fired
So you laugh at people losing their jobs right before Christmas.

Typical right winger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 10:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
So you laugh at people losing their jobs right before Christmas.

Typical right winger
So you are ignoring the economic point being made and instead make sweeping partisan digs?

Typical wingnut (from either side, really)

Old 12-24-2013, 10:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you are ignoring the economic point being made and instead make sweeping partisan digs?

I have seen an economic point being made.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:

laughing at people losing their jobs right before Christmas is an economic point?????

kinda effed up if you ask me

Old 12-24-2013, 10:34 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
And people deserve the right to a livable wage.... That's the point of working to be able to live. I'm tired of greedy companies raking in billions and then setting their employees up on food stamps. Its not moral nor is it right. I hope no one works for this idiot.
No they don't. People have a right to be paid in accordance with the job they're doing. If they need greater income they need to do a job that is worth a higher income.

Lets look at some jobs that currently pay $15 / hour, what these people think a no skill, no experience, no education job should pay.

MSN Careers - 15 jobs that pay $15 an hour - Career Advice Article

1. Agricultural and food science technician
2. Bill and account collector
3. Dental assistant
4. Dispensing optician
5. Fitness trainer and instructor
6. Home entertainment equipment installer and repairer
7. Medical records and health information technician
8. Medical transcriptionist
9. Metal and plastic machine worker
10. Painting and coating worker
11. Printing worker
12. Quality control inspector
13. Rehabilitation counselor
14. Small-engine mechanic
15. Travel agent

All of these jobs require some level of skill and training and in many cases certifications to prove the person has at least some skill/education/training. You think the people who sweep the floor at 7-11 deserves the same pay? What do you think will happen if the minimum wage is raised to $15/hour (or whatever other number is deemed "livable")? That $6 or $7 an hour increase will ripple right up the chain, raising the cost of everything leaving the people working no skill required jobs in the same position the started in.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
laughing at people losing their jobs right before Christmas is an economic point?????
The foolishness of striking instead of working to improve skills to the point where one earns a higher wage is the economic point. The foolishness of being a five year old who stomps his feet and refuses to do what he is asked (aka, striking) instead of putting in the time and effort to improve your skills and bring more to the table like an adult is the economic point.

I disagree strongly with laughing at anyone for losing their jobs, but honestly, how could these employees be surprised?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
The foolishness of striking instead of working to improve skills to the point where one earns a higher wage is the economic point. The foolishness of being a five year old who stomps his feet and refuses to do what he is asked (aka, striking) instead of putting in the time and effort to improve your skills and bring more to the table like an adult is the economic point.

I disagree strongly with laughing at anyone for losing their jobs, but honestly, how could these employees be surprised?
so you laugh at people losing their jobs right before Christmas because they are foolish

That's what Christmas is all about right

The right should make new Christmas carols, I"m dreaming of a foreclosure Christmas, where all the dropouts live on the streets"

Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Henry Ford doubling his employees wages destroyed the Ford Motor Company...or maybe not.
Building a Subway sandwich (hold the oinion) is not the same as building a transmission.

Sir.. would you like that toasted does not take a lot of skills.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:

I worked for 20+ years for a company with a unionized factory. Once during my tenure, the idiots went on strike. I laughed out loud at them, literally, in their faces. They would never recover what they lost in wages by going on strike.

Seriously, that's how dumb they are.

I'm still laughing at them.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:41 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
Can somebody tell me how a single mother worker two minimum wage jobs is supposed to afford to further her skills/education through school or training and have time to raise her children? I have no problem with saying that employees should better themselves if they want a better job, but we don't have a system that supports that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies