Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 10:09 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Interesting to see so many conservatives gloating over low-income people losing jobs.
You betcha. I don't care if they starve.

I've been a small business owner for a good many years. If an employee comes to me and shows me how valuable he is to my business and asks for a raise, I will consider. However, if he stands outside my store and bellyaches about how little he is paid, he's H.I.S.T.O.R.Y!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 10:11 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So you want to take away the people's right to protest? To speak up for what they feel is right?

It is this type of thinking that has led to the downfall of the middle class and will continue to do so as more and more worker rights are eliminated. Yes, cheer from your basement as the United States collapses around you.

Just as long as whoever YOU agree with gets to speak their mind with no repercussions, eh?
The downfall of America is due to the people not voting in politicians who have a brain in their head, take into consideration the repercussions of their actions and how it may effect the people and economy in the future and surrounding themselves with people, who actually have the know how in areas in which they lack that knowledge.

The push for unions, although the concept was good, has lead to unachievable wages and benefits for those not in these unions. Not only that, but soaring prices on items that are no longer within reach of even middle class Americans because of the high cost of said unions - leading to outsourcing of jobs.

Then you have equal rights - though the concept is wonderful - there is still inequity between mens and womens salaries in many areas. Since all these unfulfilled housewifes had to get jobs - business took advantage of that by charging more because now a family unit has that much more to spend. Meanwhile leaving schools not only to educate but babysit. The family unit lost structure with ethics and morals no longer taught to many children. To placate them, the parents gave them whatever they wanted - hence a young population who doesn't want to work for anything and just wants it given to them.

Now I'm NOT including everyone - but a good portion of the population is like this.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:12 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You betcha. I don't care if they starve.

I've been a small business owner for a good many years. If an employee comes to me and shows me how valuable he is to my business and asks for a raise, I will consider. However, if he stands outside my store and bellyaches about how little he is paid, he's H.I.S.T.O.R.Y!
And no wonder your party is toast. You have no clue what the majority of people deal with every day.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:12 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
The shop employees wanted $15 an hour and now they have $0 an hour. I'm sure the union people that instigated this unfortunate protest could care less about the now unemployed people. They are likely on to the next shop.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The shop employees wanted $15 an hour and now they have $0 an hour. I'm sure the union people that instigated this unfortunate protest could care less about the now unemployed people. They are likely on to the next shop.
No different than the Hostess bakers who were in a union.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:17 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
If they did not produce how does one afford to close and remodel? Also, in the food business its pretty much a bad move to fire the cooks who brought in the customers. It only takes one bad food experience in the food business to lose customers very quickly. I think many will be rehired. This maybe a way for key employees to collect unemployment while they are remodeling.
Ever heard of investing in a business? Small business loan? People borrow money to invest and improve their businesses all the time, firing slacker employees who can be replaced in 5 minutes is only one way to improve.

I'm sure he can find other "cooks" to slap together sandwiches for him without worrying about losing the Cordon Blue graduates I'm sure he was previously employing. Unless it is a scam to get them unemployment while he's remodeling I doubt he'll hire them back, I certainly wouldn't hire back people who quit their job, shut down my business for days, cost me thousands of dollars and demand higher pay on top of it.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:18 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
And no wonder your party is toast. You have no clue what the majority of people deal with every day.
Uh, yes, I do. I'm one of them. I've supported myself since I was out on my own with not a single penny of help from anyone, including taxpayers. I've seen some mighty hard times. But I stayed on the job and worked my way through.

Sorry. Your dig at me is a massive fail.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
If they did not produce how does one afford to close and remodel? Also, in the food business its pretty much a bad move to fire the cooks who brought in the customers. It only takes one bad food experience in the food business to lose customers very quickly. I think many will be rehired. This maybe a way for key employees to collect unemployment while they are remodeling.
It's a sandwich shop not a diner.
And it's part of a chain which means they don't have much room for creativity.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Yep, at will employment, but you only want it to apply to the poor.
Who is saying this? Personally, if I cannot prove to my boss that I add more value to the company than they pay me, I deserve to be fired. I update a list on a monthly basis of what I do (which isn't something they require me to do) so that I can prove I am worth my paycheck.

Are you saying that the employee shouldn't have to prove he is worth his pay?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:27 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Interesting to see so many conservatives gloating over low-income people losing jobs.
..especially as their voting demographic number goes down and down. Hope they enjoy losing presidential elections...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies